• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tree Doodad Variations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello guys i have created a custom Tree well not clearly made but edited a tree i downloaded here in hiveworkshop but sadly it only has 1 Variation which is quite boring to watch the same tree in your map so my question is how do i create tree variations and what kind of tool should i use to do it?

Level 29
Every variation's name needs to end with a number, starting from 0, e.g. you can have MyModel0.mdx, MyModel1.mdx, MyModel2.mdx.

In the object editor you set the Model field to the first variation, and the Variations field to whatever number of variations there are.
Although you might have to set the Model field to the custom path of the variations with no number, e.g. MyModel.mdx, or perhaps MyModel, I am not sure, you'll have to check.

There is also the Has Lightweight Model field.
This allows you to offer additional models that are not animated, as an optimization.
E.g. the game has LordaeronTree0.mdx, LordaeronTree0D.mdx, LordaeronTree0S.mdx, etc. for the rest of the variations, where the first one is normal, the D one is dead (e.g. a tree stump), and the S one is for living trees that aren't interacted with.
I don't know however if these will work for any user-made models.

Last edited:
Level 9
Wait so can i somehow make the variations of my tree model replicate the Variations of example the LordaeronTree model?

Level 9
You also need the actual variations, i.e. a separate model per variation.
So like i have to use Magos Model Editor or Reteras Modeling Studio? And open the warcraft3 MPQ's then find Destructibles and then find the LordaeronTree.mdx and with its variation? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Level 29
You first need to actually have multiple variations of your model.
E.g. one model has 3 branches, one has 2, or whatever you can think of, check existing trees to see examples for variations.
You can do this in Retera's model studio if you know how to model.

LordaeronTree.mdx was just an example that you can look at to see how it works.

Level 9
You first need to actually have multiple variations of your model.
E.g. one model has 3 branches, one has 2, or whatever you can think of, check existing trees to see examples for variations.
You can do this in Retera's model studio if you know how to model.

LordaeronTree.mdx was just an example that you can look at to see how it works.
But as i have already said my tree model only has 1 variation do i have to make other variations of it just basing of the existing tree models of warcraft? Can i not just somehow copy the texture of my tree model using retera and using my desired tree to put my texture to?

Level 29
Sure, you can do that, how you end up with multiple models is up to you.
You might need to adjust the UV unwrap for it to look good.

I never used Retera's studio, but if I am not mistaken, you can load the different variations of whatever built-in tree directly from the MPQ/CASC explorer thingy.

That being said, if it looks good without adjusting the UVs, then perhaps it will be better to simply use the built-in variations as-is and just change the texture, which you can do in WE rather than having to have custom models imported.

Level 9
Sure, you can do that, how you end up with multiple models is up to you.
You might need to adjust the UV unwrap for it to look good.

I never used Retera's studio, but if I am not mistaken, you can load the different variations of whatever built-in tree directly from the MPQ/CASC explorer thingy.
I might not know if this will all go as planned but i think might be testing them alot tommorow i think i might also buy alot as in ALOT of potato chips:grin::grin: so i will still be in touch in this thread so that i will be able ask if i will ever encounter a problem with it tommorow.

Level 9
Hello again i'm back i tried all of the ways of editing the variations of my tree and failed i even almost lost my sanity but i have also realize that my tree doesn't have a texture File but i unexpectedly i discovered that my tree uses the same texture as the LordaeronTreeWinter and i extracted its texture using Magos Model Editor and My question how do i apply that texture to Trees?

Level 29
If the model doesn't specify an actual texture, then it's probably using replaceable IDs.
I don't quite remember the rules of replaceable IDs and how they get overriden, but in general it allows the game to e.g. use a summer texture or winter texture depending on the map's tileset.
You could explicitly define the texture you want instead of the replaceable, or maybe the replaceable is good for you.
It will be helpful if you actually attach your model or whatever files you have :p

Level 9
Finally right now in my laptop i have finished my Tree variation i have applied the texture to the tree variations i have searched in warcraft3 tree models and then saved them finally thank you for making understand on how to use and what to do with the tree variations problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.