• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Torch Consumable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I'm trying to make a torch consumable that comes in several charges and when used increases sight range and DMG for a short time.
However I cant seem to get it to work, when my hero picks up the torch items he immediately gets the buffs without even using a charge and when he stands he plays his spell animation.

Rip | HIVE

Any help?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Well, your problem is pretty simple. You're using War Drums and Item Sight Range Bonus (both passive abilities) and expecting them to function like active abilities. You can't add Area of Effect, Duration, Cooldown, etc... to an ability in the Object Editor that doesn't normally use these fields. If an ability by default uses these fields (like how Thunderclap uses Area of Effect) then you can edit them, otherwise modifying these fields won't add new mechanics to the ability. So for example, you can't add Area of Effect to Shadow Strike since it's hardcoded to be a Single-Target ability. Luckily, with triggers we can create these desired effects fairly easily.

Edit: I edited your map and added a triggered Torch ability. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• TD - Road To the Hamlet Uncle Edit.w3x
    4.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Level 13
Well, your problem is pretty simple. You're using War Drums and Item Sight Range Bonus (both passive abilities) and expecting them to function like active abilities. You can't add Area of Effect, Duration, Cooldown, etc... to an ability in the Object Editor and expect it's mechanics to change. If an ability uses these fields then you can edit them, otherwise it won't add new mechanics to the ability. So If you want these abilities to work as a temporary buff that lasts 5 seconds then you'll have to use triggers.

Edit: I edited your map and added a triggered Torch ability. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
To change the duration I just change the 5's to 10 (for ex) correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.