• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tooltip Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi,
I would like to know how to increase spell tooltip size. W3 dont allow tooltips bigger than 17 lines. I cant find any solution.

Level 24
You should not try to make a wikipedia page in a tooltip.

Ok, Ill explain.
Tooltips are things that should explain you in a few lines what it does and how it works.
It is not meant to give you a 5 chapter story about where this unit comes from, how an ability can strategically be used, when it is most optimal to buy an upgrade, or whatever you so desire in it.

It is also really bad if you have to read a huge tooltip while playing the game.
It should be clear how the game works and you should only have a bit of information what is different or new on this specific topic.

About the actual problem, no I don't think there is a solid solution.
Although, it may actually be that it is not properly tested, but I cant recall a tooltip be used with more than 17 lines.

Level 2
Well, i am making three spells that are changing each other. So i need tooltip for all of them in one spell. I just need 2 another lines.

Level 24
Why not change the tooltip of the original spells.

In League of Legends, you have a few characters that change their base abilities when they activate their ultimates.
Nidalee's Takedown/Javelin Toss is an ability that has two different effects depending on her form.
The tooltip of the ability itself changes, instead of explaining both abilities in the tooltip of the ultimate.

Level 2
My abilities changes for about 4 seconds. I mean when you use a spell it will change with another one for x seconds. Then it will change back. You cant just read a spell in 4 seconds, while you are in fight. That is why i want three tooltips in a single ability.

Level 24
You misunderstood the concept of it.
It is in the tooltip of the spell that gets replaced.

For example:
Storm Bolt:
Hurls a hammer at the targeted foe, dealing damage and stunning it.

While in Super Mega Power Form:
Dash to the targeted area.

That will be the tooltip of one of the spells that will be replaced.
Then you just have it separated.
That is the idea of it.

Level 2
That is what am i doing :grin:.

Slice forward, dealing 100% agility damage, stunning all enemies and knocking them back. Afterwards this skill will be replaced by "Dice" for 4 seconds.

Dice - Dash through enemies, dealing 125% aglity damage and stunning them. During this time, you take 50% less damage................................... etc

The problem is, i am creating 3 complicated spells changing each other and i cant write it in like 16 lines. There is too much effects and stats scalings.

Level 7
This is just an idea but it might work for you. I have not tested this.

It seems you have a unit target ability which changes after you use it. Please correct me if I am wrong (sound like you could make some cool combos).

For the original spell base it of a unit target auto cast ability.
Change the icon to make it not look like an auto cast
Give the tooltip for the original spell.
Create a copy of the original spell but disable it.
Change the tooltip of the copy to other details
This allows it to share the same cooldowns but not be castable
Add an extra line at the bottom of the original tooltip (Rclick for more info)
When you are ordered to Rclick disable the ability and re-enable the other one
You can even set a timer which resets it back after a while.

Hopefully this allows you to change between the abilities when you want and also not affect the cooldown of the spell.

Level 2

It seems you have a unit target ability which changes after you use it. Please correct me if I am wrong (sound like you could make some cool combos).

Hopefully this allows you to change between the abilities when you want and also not affect the cooldown of the spell.

Nice one. You mean i can change text: right click to disable autocast.. by my secondary spell tooltip?
The spells are instant no target, based on spells like berserk, fan of knives etc.

Level 7
Nice one. You mean i can change text: right click to disable autocast.. by my secondary spell tooltip?
The spells are instant no target, based on spells like berserk, fan of knives etc.

I mean write your tooltip on two separate abilities. Use the Rclick to toogle between the two abilities. Base it off the same ability to ensure it doesn't mess with your cooldowns. I'll try test it out now and see if it works

EDIT: Don't know about you but I got 18 lines just now. Will test the limit. Maybe its a character limit since I am using Next line

EDIT: Just as I thought, its not a line limit but the number of characters you use.

Level 24
Although, it may actually be that it is not properly tested,

Some characters (especially in buff tooltips) break the tooltip as they are marked as special characters. They mean something (cant recall what) but they just act as the end of the tooltip.
This may also happen to ability tooltips so you should be careful what you use.

However, yes you might have met the actual character limit in your tooltip, color codes eat length and spaces as well (in case want to outline some stuff).

But as I said before, dont make long stories about things we dont want to know... in a tooltip.

Level 7
I've tried for hour but I can't get the shared cooldowns to work. When you have two spells of the same ID they both go on cooldown. However when you add and remove the ability it still resets the cooldown of it regards less of the other spell being on cooldown or not.

I hope you like this. You will have to use a cooldown system to save the cooldowns of the spell or else they can just right-click to refresh the spell.
Hope this is something like what you wanted. Not complete until you add your own spells and fix the cooldown thingy.

View attachment Extended tooltip.w3x

Last edited:
Level 12

If this works, it is awesome! :D Might do something with this (though not quite what the OP is trying to do), so +rep.

Level 2
I've tried for hour but I can't get the shared cooldowns to work. When you have two spells of the same ID they both go on cooldown. However when you add and remove the ability it still resets the cooldown of it regards less of the other spell being on cooldown or not.

I hope you like this. You will have to use a cooldown system to save the cooldowns of the spell or else they can just right-click to refresh the spell.
Hope this is something like what you wanted. Not complete until you add your own spells and fix the cooldown thingy.

View attachment 152034

Actually, this is what i want. Thanks mate, it works perfectly. :ogre_haosis: + rep

The cooldowns do not bother me because when i use the spell it immediately replaces by Dice, so cooldowns are not importnant.

Level 7
Actually, this is what i want. Thanks mate, it works perfectly. :ogre_haosis: + rep

The cooldowns do not bother me because when i use the spell it immediately replaces by Dice, so cooldowns are not importnant.

Should have told me sooner. I spent hours trying to get the cooldown thing to work. Lol

Glade you like it tho. You can keep adding more abilities to extend the tooltips. As mentioned before, try to keep it to a minimum as no one really wants to read a wiki page in the tooltip.

Status
Not open for further replies.