• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why my custom tooltip is not displaying correctly?

Level 24
Hello, I made this custom tooltip using the method the set the height of the text frame to 0 to auto-set according to the text and then setting the backdrop a bit bigger than the text:
Lua:
local lockFrame = BlzCreateFrameByType("BACKDROP", "BackdropLockCosmeticEffect[" .. id .. "]", button, "", 0)
BlzFrameSetAllPoints(backdrop, button)
BlzFrameSetTexture(backdrop, "ReplaceableTextures\\CommandButtons\\BTNLock.blp", 0, true)
BlzFrameSetLevel(lockFrame, 2)

local tooltip = BlzCreateFrame("CheckListBox", lockFrame, 0, 0)

local tooltipText = BlzCreateFrameByType("TEXT", "name", tooltip, "", 0)
BlzFrameSetPoint(tooltipText, FRAMEPOINT_BOTTOMLEFT, lockFrame, FRAMEPOINT_CENTER, 0.0000, 0.0000)
BlzFrameSetEnable(tooltipText, false)
BlzFrameSetScale(tooltipText, 1.00)
BlzFrameSetTextAlignment(tooltipText, TEXT_JUSTIFY_TOP, TEXT_JUSTIFY_LEFT)

BlzFrameSetText(tooltipText, unlockDesc)
BlzFrameSetSize(tooltipText, 0.15, 0)
BlzFrameSetPoint(tooltip, FRAMEPOINT_TOPLEFT, tooltipText, FRAMEPOINT_TOPLEFT, -0.015000, 0.015000)
BlzFrameSetPoint(tooltip, FRAMEPOINT_BOTTOMRIGHT, tooltipText, FRAMEPOINT_BOTTOMRIGHT, 0.015000, -0.015000)
But for some reason the tooltip frame appears as having 0 size:

1697421923399.png

I don't know what is happening, I used this exact method several times and this is the first time its happening this issue, I even tried setting the size of the backdrop manually with the BlzFrameSetSize, but still, what's wrong?

Level 24
My bad, the problem is in the first paragraph of the code, I was using the wrong variable :xxd:

Now the tooltip has the right dimensions, but is not appearing when I pass the cursor above the lock frames (the tooltip named tooltip is for the frame named lockFrame), why?

Last edited:
Level 24
Because you need to use BlzFrameSetTooltip(lockFrame, tooltip), which appears to have been forgotten :p
I'm actually doing that, I just didn't show the entire script, because the original problem was another, right after the previous script I did this:
Lua:
BlzFrameSetTooltip(lockFrame, tooltip)

BlzFrameSetEnable(button, false)
I'm including that last line because I think that it was the reason why it was happening (button is parent of the lockFrame), but not sure, because I changed the parent, but the tooltip still doesn't appear when I'm hovering the lockFrame with the pointer.