• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tool edit button broken and has been for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally sort of ignored this, but it's more and more obvious to me that it's a site-level bug. We can see the same here with Eejin noting in his review that some small tool has the same problem I do on Retera Model Studio:

When we download a tool from Hive that has NEVER BEEN EDITED, the tool will be a simple zip file. But if the user ever uses "EDIT" on the tool to modify its contents, such as for an update, then the Hive site internally repackages the edited tool so that it is constructed of a Zip file within another Zip file. It is kind of dumb and annoying, and I am not aware of a workaround. Maybe this is some implicit result of "converting it to a bundle" in some web server code, or something.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I went down the rabbit hole of unpackaging into the bundle zip to add the readme and that was a bag of hurt. You can add multiple tools to a bundle and the site will be forced to create a zip. There’s no good catch all solution. The only I can think of is to not zip in the case where there is only one resource (tool) file.

Yeah, it's a bit weird because I think for a model download or something, it makes perfect sense to always wrap it in a zip, probably. It's really just this one case when the code would think of the "resource" as a zip, while trying to share logic with something that thinks of the "resource" as an mdx. Hmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.