• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cleaning up the mess named Tools-Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Maybe I would actually try out some tools if they had some useful ordering, were actually tested and eventually approved by some moderator or just followed some sort of standard.

My issues:
  • The two biggest sub-sections are "Misc" and "Other useful". This already shows, how many of the tools can't be put into proper sub-sections. I mean, what is even the difference between Misc and Other useful?
  • Tools appear in multiple sub-sections, which often make no sense, multiple examples:
    • The Tool "Doo&w3e to Jass" appears in Jass / Triggers, which makes somewhat sense, but also in WE-Addons, even tho it doesn't work together with the editor in any way.
    • The Tool "War3 Object Editor 0.7.1" appears in misc, textmarkup AND WE-addons, even tho it mostly fits into Misc because it doesn't work together with the WE in any way, and only provides textmarkup inside it's own program, however the main feature of this tool is the actual object editor and not text coloring.
    • The Tool "Warcraft 3 Doodad Merger" appears in the sections MPQ and WE-Addons, even tho it doesn't even work with mpqs at all (only .doo files) and it doesn't add anything to the worldeditor nor works together with it.
    • Many more tools have very similar issues
  • Tools are not tested or even checked for viruses before they are displayed in the Tools-section. Some of the "pending" tools were submitted over 3 years ago
  • Tools are not revisited at any time. Many of them don't even work or are terribly flawed or terribly outdated/unneeded (Terrain 1.0, War3 Image extractor, Script aligner, WeWarlock)
  • More useless tools are all garena-related tools (since garena for wc3 got shutdown) which make them pretty useless (unless you live in Singapore or similar and I'm pretty sure that's below 1% of the people who would actually download a tool.)
  • Many tools have requirements that aren't mentioned anywhere
  • Most tools don't have a proper description leaving you in the dark about what they actually do or how to use them
  • There is no way to hide/order the tools manually, e.g. by OS-support, many tools don't even provide that information in the first place.
  • Another ordering problem would be the time of submission/updating. I have no idea how old a tool is or what the newest tools to check out are UNLESS I change to the view to the "old list" with an almost hidden and (for me) "broken" (no padding/margin from the border) link at the top-right corner.
    ApMvWE2.png

In my opinion this requires a big cleanup and restructuring, as well as active moderators who don't just approve tools because they're "neat" (but actually have zero to none purpose) or "could potentially be useful for a single person on this planet"

Status
Not open for further replies.