• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Toggling spell sets, dozens of spells on a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
With the new patch, and the addition of "set level of ability" I've been thinking that maybe there's now a better way to get more than 5 skills than there has ever been before. A hero could simply have a regular ability called "switch", and whenever they used it their skills would all change, both in type and in level.
Whenever switch is cast it would add an engineering upgrade that exchanges whatever spells you have with a different set, while storing the old spells' levels as variables.
The new spells would be removed by triggers, and here we get to finally make use of the add/remove ability bug with hero abilities. You have level zero abilities, but you can still learn them!
When you want to get back to the old spells, you just use switch again, which removes the engineering upgrade, and if the variable for their level is zero, the skill is removed, otherwise it's set, using the new action, to whatever level it should be.
This whole system can be modified to have as many spell sets as the person wants, I hope, and effectively remove the spell limit with only the press of a button required to get to whatever spells you want. Why, it wouldn't even need to have a "switch" spell, a keystroke could be used instead, etc.

I might be wrong in my judgement though. Perhaps there is some factor here I overlooked that would not only require small adaptations of this system, but render it totally useless. If so, be gentle in telling me.
Now, assuming this is possible at all, I need someone a lot better than me at triggering to actually do this. I tried, and failed, not necessarily because of any flaws in the concept, but simply because I am the same man who created a TD that crashed by the time you were 15 seconds into it.[/code]

Level 12
I Am Spam said:
With the new patch, and the addition of "set level of ability" I've been thinking that maybe there's now a better way to get more than 5 skills than there has ever been before. A hero could simply have a regular ability called "switch", and whenever they used it their skills would all change, both in type and in level.
Whenever switch is cast it would add an engineering upgrade that exchanges whatever spells you have with a different set, while storing the old spells' levels as variables.
The new spells would be removed by triggers, and here we get to finally make use of the add/remove ability bug with hero abilities. You have level zero abilities, but you can still learn them!
When you want to get back to the old spells, you just use switch again, which removes the engineering upgrade, and if the variable for their level is zero, the skill is removed, otherwise it's set, using the new action, to whatever level it should be.
This whole system can be modified to have as many spell sets as the person wants, I hope, and effectively remove the spell limit with only the press of a button required to get to whatever spells you want. Why, it wouldn't even need to have a "switch" spell, a keystroke could be used instead, etc.

I might be wrong in my judgement though. Perhaps there is some factor here I overlooked that would not only require small adaptations of this system, but render it totally useless. If so, be gentle in telling me.
Now, assuming this is possible at all, I need someone a lot better than me at triggering to actually do this. I tried, and failed, not necessarily because of any flaws in the concept, but simply because I am the same man who created a TD that crashed by the time you were 15 seconds into it.[/code]

This was actually possible before with engineering upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.