• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

More than five spells on a Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
well, not being a great (or even okay) triggerer, i'm not sure if this would work, but i see no flaws. the idea is this. post means message by the way http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=74278
these^guys have a paged inventory system. idea is to make all heroes' spells items which have all the properties of the spell. then, when a hero levels up, He/she is shown a menu of available skills to take, ie
:Frenzy
:double swing
:more barbarian d2 spells...

then the person types, say, -info Frenzy. then a post appears saying"(whatever Frenzy's skill description is)". then they can either type -choose frenzy, or
-info double swing (or other barbarian D2 spells). then when they have chosen, an item is dropped into their inventory that is named "Frenzy level 1" or whatever, and has the cooldown and stuff of the spell. then, if they later choose Frenzy again, they are given the "Frenzy level 2" item, and "Frenzy level 1" is taken away, and so on for other items.

there, that's it. please comment.

EDIT:added an example, it's a modified version of the invx 1.8 map. use the blood mage.

Attachments

• WorldEditTestMap.w3x
    351 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Level 40
Well, there are some other ways to do it;

First: have Spellbooks, and just open the spellbook you want. Eg: Spellbook; Warcries, to stick with the Barbarian D2 theme.

Second: have 'paged' abilities, where you add a list of abilities to the unit depending on what 'page' of abilities he's on. This way, you could use Ability Levels much easier than with items.

Also, as for the levelup thing, you could always make a custom levelup ability.

Level 40
New Ability --

Item Ability --

Spell Book

it's effectively an ability which opens up a new 'menu' on the hero's Command Card. That menu can have more spells (specified within the Spell Book spell), plus automatically has a Cancel button. You've probably seen this in RPGs and a few other things.

But yes, it's possible.

Level 8
about the spell book :

so this opens a new menu to the hero ,
my question is:

can i have X spellbook abilitys in a singel spell book to do a lika tree system
without no errors or leaks?

Example:

O = spellbook skill
X = Spells (final spell category)
Ignore the . (the only to hold the space)

O
.I
O----O---O
.I. . . I . . I
.I. . . X . O-O-O
.I . . . . . I . I .I
.I . . . . . I . I .I
O-O . . . X .X .X
.I .I
X .X

Level 40
Spell Books can go inside other Spell Books, if you take a few things into consideration --

A) If you have 2 Spell Books with the same Base OrderID, they will add eachother's spells to eachother (warning: infinite loops are possible)

B) Change a spellbook's Orderstring AND Base OrderID every time you have a new one; the above bug will occur if you leave any 2 on the same unit with the same OrderString

Level 8
i more question lets say i have 1 spell book(spells) where r 2 spell books in ( fire section and ice section) and in the ice section i want to increase 1 single spell by a lvl. i do have to do a new spell book with only this spell higher ,right?

sofar THX for the answer.

Level 40
I did -- you asked what Spell Books were ><

Anyways, what I was saying is that one approach to that was to have a Spell Book for

'Warcries'

and such, and then, abusing the above mentioned Spell Book bug with similar OrderIDs, make each ability that can go into 'Warcries' have its own Spell book (disabled for all players), that, due to the bug, will actually add the correct (warcry in this case) to the 'Warcries' Spell Book

Status
Not open for further replies.