• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Today's Modern Tower Defense

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deathreaven
This is the latest version of Today's Modern Tower Defense. It has rounds 1-40 finished. All towers are done and triggers worked out. Now going into Open Beta.

Requests: 1. I would like it if people had newest version of T.M.T.D. for optimal quality, considering versions before this were the incomplete ones...

Update: This is latest version I have done as of 1/16/09. New multiplication worked in so quick tip to soloers:
1. Do NOT Leak.
2. Build all the way in back
Also, I am working on adding more races in, some thoughts:
Video Game Race
&
Mechanical Race
Please comment below on suggestions on which should stay and which should go.
Update: Update as of 1/16/09, 8:51 PM
All 40 levels are now functional and cheats from official version are now removed.
OPEN BETA on US West will begin! Any hosters on other servers may now also start with major Open Betas.

Game Functions:
New game function: -timeme
Old Game functions: Name changing and basic trigger work.
Song Funtions:
esurance for "Cloud Cult - Lucky Today" (I think is what it is)
credit for "Credits" from Blizzard's Warcraft 3. (Duh your playing Wc3)
P.S. Thank you guys for not bashing me on my first TD map.

Update: 1/17/09, 2:22 PM
I am aware of the major issues with only losing one life and then you not being able to continue.
Plans:
Next Update -
New live losing system
Putting back in long range blink for faster moving.
Next Version -
2 Brand new races
New tower additions to your favorite race!
Mini-games that will be able to be played while a level is going on. (For the back defenders if they aren't getting leaks)
More T3 stuff, a T3-T5 builder. (Equal to example: Music Race - T1-T3

NEW OFFICIAL SITE WITH LIST OF UPDATES:
http://todaysmoderntd.biz.ly/index.html

NEW:
The map is now protected. I found out how people did the World Editor Crash protection so I did that. If you want unprotected version send me a msg. here on Hiveworkshop.com

Keywords:
Today's Modern Tower Defense, Today, Today's, Modern, Tower, Defense
Contents

Today's Modern Tower Defense (Map)

Reviews
05:39, 30th Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 6
Please, just think this is constuctive critisism.

I like this map, it shows a good decision of creep numbers versus difficulty. And I will say that lvl 21 Is IMPOSSIBLE on soloing. But this could leave beta soon. And that place for beta testers is too empty for this to be an update. 5/5. The modern feature is good too. But I really feel that there may be too few tower choices. Please add more types. The movie towers have only 5.

Another issue with the movie section is the inability to upgrade. The "alien" requires batman to go to t2. But batman requires a t2 "Picler" and he requires at t2 "Leon S."which requires a t2 alien. You can't upgrade.

I (somehow) got to lvl 30, but it ends. Since this is beta I won't get angry, but that should be you priority.

And lastly, The black text is hard to read, and it's blotchy. Try red or dark green.

Last edited:
Level 3
Ok ya I know I uploaded 2. Going to remove second one now. And I have fixed the errors with most of the towers, I know I fixed all of them in the version I have now. All the creeps are working and my newest version of it so far has all 40 creeps done in maker, just not edited in trigger yet. Oh! Also once it hits certain corners it will multiply. Me and my friend were doing this up to 2 people. I am aware level 21 is pretty much impossible, I made it that way. But if I notice about no one can beat it then i'll cut down on his armor. I'll upload latest version I have done right now. I'm kind of jammed working on my RPG and Maze with switching off to this one.

Level 3
Haha woot! From working on my RPG I have now adapted Custom Load Screens and Custom Mini-map. All levels now working! Open Beta starting! Please post more here for any problems encountered.
-Thank you all for your support in helping me fixing the functions of the game.

Level 6
Don't cut down the armour, as I've said, I beat it, and I'm only an average player to TD. But I think the music races ultimate towers 3d upgrade is over powered. 30,000 damage at .3 second attack, well it's all it took to beat the rest of the game. I think that you shouldn't make a politics race. The video game race would b good, but who are you going to feature?

Level 3
I dont know the exact games. And also you should redownload this again to overwrite old version. I took down the 30,000 damage to 1500 and also cut down the costs. I don't know who'd I feature in the video game race also.
Any suggestions will be brought into consideration.
I didn't put any more towers in there at the time because of the fact that I ran out of ideas. Oh and people about to post stuff like: Dude wtf once I leak I can't go any farther...
In me and my friend's first open beta we leaked and couldn't get past because of trigger functions. "Player 12(Brown) food used becomes 0" turn on next trigger.. Blah blah... Im going to rework way you lose lives into a live loss, close to the WM one were the enemies just vanish. I realized a few days ago how it will work.
-Thank you all for helping me and my friends with suggestions for map

Edit: So I don't have to keep on posting new posts I will add it here real quick. I have now fixed the life system and readded insta-infinite-range-Blink!

Last edited:
Level 3
i can only give 3/5 for this map because:

- creeps are choking the path ^^
suggestion: reduce the creep amount

- you didnt change the collision that's why the creeps get stuck...
sugg: change the value to 1

- the sell button is at an unusual position - some people may click it because they think it's an upgrade.
sugg: move it to the upper left

- try to arrange the tower icons in the builders menu...
sugg: only my oppinion, but if you customize your tooltips and highlight the features, people will find your air tower too :)

- the terrain is a bit too dunno the english word for "trist" but the dictionary says: "dull, sad, dismal".
sugg: add some doodads to the free place

- the builder (i only played the army guy) looks like the standard tower.
sugg: change it to the firebat (if it's not used at later towers)

- your terrain is not proper textured. uhm... at some of the u-turns you cant build at the borders because theres an "unvisible" texture you cant build on. you have to "brush" the buildable texture to the cliff too you wont see it but THEN you can buld at the borders :)

- there's no leaderboard
sugg: check out the leaderboard tutorial, if you need help, just pm me i could also send you some triggers

- i dont remember exactly but i think there was no countdown-timer for the next wave.

And lastly, The black text is hard to read, and it's blotchy. Try red or dark green.

NEVER EVER USE RED OR GREEN! There are people out there (like me) who are having color vision deficiencies. Most people (they sometimes even dont know) have a red/green deficiency. In my job training every 2nd man had a red/green deficiency and they didnt knew before ;)....

So all users who read this: Red and green are BAAAAD colors :p
====================

i think this can become a very good TD map but at first you really have to fix some TD basics. I recommend ralle's TD tutorial and the "Leaderboard Tutorial" warmly to you :) those 2 threads may help you!

good luck on further improvements :) i'm already anxious to the next update

Level 3
Thanks

Ya I knew about the problem with the choking issue, i'm going to be deleting the Multiplier at the bottom turn and im reducing the collision size. I've been a bit busy lately trying to learn Save/Load codes, but I am going to fix the sell stuff so that way you don't have to click on the unit itself.

Edit:
I have uploaded the newest version I have right now, took out the multiplications corner. Also added a line on side of map showing the units you fight!

Edit 2:
More info: My map is still in a small beta on West gateway, like real small right now... Friends are testing it and seeing how fun it is :grin:

Last edited:
Level 2
:thumbs_down: Wow. First your most expensive tower is way imba to start. There are only 4 towers per race with 3 having 1 upgrade 1 having 2... When a boss reached the end you could go there and they stop and turn around to the last corner(probably commanding them to go to wrong region instead of the bikes region which I'm assuming is the ending region). Also you can teleport to your levels region and attack and kill the monsters for gold with them just running around. Lastly the sell button should self target the building your clicking and if that is on purpose why does it have a range limit then?So... To sum it up. Make it more balanced, add at least 6 towers per race, more races and an actual way to loose. BTW you name change command you can use as strings instead of the awkward way you do. I'm not looking right now but it should look like this
  • Events player 1(red) types a chat command containing -setname as string
    • player 2(blue) types a chat command containing -setname as string
    • etc....
  • Actions
    • Change name of (triggering player) to(substring(0,9))
Anyways although its beta way more should have been done before beta release 1.5/5
P.S. Please put proper version changes I can't even tell half the time where you are.

Level 7
- Stillborn (Music) doesn't have a model, only shadow.
I like the gold thing (everyone gets gold) it improves teamwork and people don't complain "DONT BUILD IN MY LINE MOTHERHAXER" the name thing with the chickens are also funny :D

The terrain is boring, can be improved, and the TD progressing slow...increase creeps movespeed and decrease the time between levels.

When the creeps got to their destinition point they just patroled the whole north area o_O

Level 3
Update

Ya, sadly I know about the issue with the patrol thing, some reason it's not working the way it should be. It says to remove the unit and tell "You have ## lives remaining", although its not working so im going to use a differant method I have right now. My next version will have a lot more towers, fixed button positions, highlights of the towers, and a new difficulty system. (Thats done right now as i'm typing this :grin:) So harder difficulty, More armor, more speed, higher difficulty (Veteran) has 15% dodge to make it harder, and highest difficulty (Are You Insane) has +100 Armor, 75% speed, and 30% chance to dodge. Plus im still fixing live system, this one should work!

Level 3
Now Updated as of 2-19-09

The map is now updated:
Difficulty Error now fixed where once you start (If Red) then you are locked up by the Menu (Stupid me, accidently had Show before the buttons were made)
Bounty Selection is now added.
Some other minor bugs are fixed in it as well.
New Name changing system, say -myname (name).

Level 9
I have the same problem too, the creeps are damn invulnerable. And the game lags like an SCV locked in tighter than a frogs butt in a watermelon seed fight.

Edit: The second time I played it they werent invulnerable, whats up with that :mad:
Edit: Its still lagging too much to be playable.

Problematic Problems:
You didn't scale or otherwise remove the shadow... Seriously, you didn't do a THING to the shadows.
It lagged too much when the creeps were spawned.
Whats up with the huge words TD in the map? Its unessesary and causes lag.
The pathway is far too big and the creeps would rather go on the edges.
You seriously need to make your map compact instead of putting every single vital building a trillion feet away from eachother.
I destroyed the igloos in an attempt to reduce lag, coins popped out. I COULDNT pick them up!