• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
1° Well i started to play again from the begining so i saw that when you reach level 17~18 you dont have many quests to do...

2° -the level 21 gnolls are useless... i did the peon quest without killing any of them... dont have a reason for kill them... maybe a level 20 quest for killing some gnolls would be great and that would help to get level to kill ogres too ^^

3° - d3 now is a little useless, you do that 1 time or maybe 2, dont lose too much time there because the new region is better.... maybe some more quests like "kill firelord and get 3k exp and 1k gold" or part of the history... d3 is a very cool place and very well done it could have more attention...

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
1: This has been suggested before, but the thing is that Zwiebelchen is only one man. At the moment he is focusing on the new content pre-Dungeon 4. There is only so much new content he can create at the same time. This is not to say that I disagree. Levels 18-25 are indeed painfully repetitive with either D2 or crow/gnoll/ogre farming, but like I said, I think this will be adressed later.

2: Yes, this is a good idea. Perhaps make the orc corpse quest a chain. First quest to find the corpse, 2nd to find a quest item they stole from the corpse. Something like that.

3: D3 is not completely useless. The waves at the beginning are a way to lvl from 20-25 and the items from Lieutenaunt are good at that level range. The firelord red items will have a use in later versions, so that boss isn't useless either. You are, however, right in that the rest of the dungeon doesn't serve much of a purpose. I also had a similar idea about making D3 a levelling dungeon like D2, just as you wrote.

Level 10
1 - i know... but just 1 quest would help a lot something like kill some bandits and find a box that they stollen ^^
2 - your idea of a quest chain for the peon is what i tought haha, you find the corpse go back to the peon and he want revenge... and say that want 15 corpses of gnolls ^^
3 - i just think that d3 could have more 1 quest like the d1 quest... kill lady / andy and fl for a huge exp and gold
so peopl will get more interested to do d3...

why not do that? after do the the quest "help gaspode" the soldier give you a quest to talk again with gaspode... when you talk with him he gave you a quest to kill lady, andy and fl...

Level 29
1- Maybe at those levels there could be repetable quests that you can pick to do, given the repetitive farming nature in that levels. Those quests would be disabled past a lvl cap and all be of the classical 'bring me x amount of bear's ass' type given out by a new npc within the camp. Those q's would reward plain exp, gold.
Thought about a randomity factor can get added to spice it up, so there would be multiple types, with when you ask for a job at the npc may get just the quest you need or the one for couple levels later. Well then you could simply reload and reroll, if its not the one you want therefore randomity rather irrevelant.
The reason they get disabled past a cap could be explained as the dude doesnt want to bother a too strong guy with doing his menial tasks, however doesnt shun to bother those he deems not that strong yet.
2- plain agreed.
3- There could be two quests: One that you can get after defending gaspode where he sends you deep into the ruined city to find out the source of evil sustaining this assault, only to destroy it after(this source being andy. vampirella would remain 'optional boss')
The other quest should concern with only the firelord. Its a bit silly that the heroes figure out the ritual to summon him all on their own, without ever requiring to take a hint.
The first time his summoning item gets picked up it should be a quest-starter, non-usable item that becomes usable only after first part of its quest get completed. First part would be simply take it to an magician dude living in the city somewhere to examine it and explain the shenanigans required to summon him for dummies. Second part of the quest requires you to summon and actually slay him.
Seeing that all the characters require to be over 25 and advanced class to enter the dungeon this one can maybe give out a quality item for that levels that comes according to completer's advanced class, so it would be very well worth bothering. Since only one person can summon the FL each time you'll have to run it per head.

Level 10
1- Maybe at those levels there could be repetable quests that you can pick to do, given the repetitive farming nature in that levels. Those quests would be disabled past a lvl cap and all be of the classical 'bring me x amount of bear's ass' type given out by a new npc within the camp. Those q's would reward plain exp, gold.
Thought about a randomity factor can get added to spice it up, so there would be multiple types, with when you ask for a job at the npc may get just the quest you need or the one for couple levels later. Well then you could simply reload and reroll, if its not the one you want therefore randomity rather irrevelant.
The reason they get disabled past a cap could be explained as the dude doesnt want to bother a too strong guy with doing his menial tasks, however doesnt shun to bother those he deems not that strong yet.
2- plain agreed.
3- There could be two quests: One that you can get after defending gaspode where he sends you deep into the ruined city to find out the source of evil sustaining this assault, only to destroy it after(this source being andy. vampirella would remain 'optional boss')
The other quest should concern with only the firelord. Its a bit silly that the heroes figure out the ritual to summon him all on their own, without ever requiring to take a hint.
The first time his summoning item gets picked up it should be a quest-starter, non-usable item that becomes usable only after first part of its quest get completed. First part would be simply take it to an magician dude living in the city somewhere to examine it and explain the shenanigans required to summon him for dummies. Second part of the quest requires you to summon and actually slay him.
Seeing that all the characters require to be over 25 and advanced class to enter the dungeon this one can maybe give out a quality item for that levels that comes according to completer's advanced class, so it would be very well worth bothering. Since only one person can summon the FL each time you'll have to run it per head.

3- i like the idea of that quest like globin's scroll quest.... you drop the item from andy so it start a quest you go to slum district and talk to oracle he explain what is it so you go back to the ritual and kill flame lord so them you go back to oracle to get exp
but i still think that a quest that envolves lady and andy not only andy... ^^

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
1) I usually expect people in that level range to run D2 once or twice for XP.

2) So you leave them out and then complain about not getting XP? I'm confused. I wanted to deviate the quest design a little from the typical kill/fetch quests, so there are and will always be quests that might not require to kill a single enemy. My current designs for the pre-D4 content also include a crafting quest and an exploration quest

3) D3 was intended to be perfectly optional, as any other dungeon. The waves quest was intended as a motivation to group up for D3. Any further motivation imho should come from the boss content itself. I don't want to annoy the solo player crowd by making too many dungeon only quests, that's why there's only 1 or 2 quests for each dungeon.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
1. But Zwie, you don't just run D2 once or twice. You literally farm it 10 times to get the needed xp for advanced classes. This level range IS boring and there is not enough in the current content to prevent that.

2.Any quest design would improve the above mentioned problem. It doesn't have to be a boring kill X enemies quest, but that is simply easier for you to make. I don't think the point here was to make boring quests for the sake of originality, but rather to save you time while still improving the game.

3.Even added quests to Dungeon 3, it wouldn't necessarily mean frustration for the solo player. I'm not talking about adding dozens of new quests based on this dungeon, but simply 1-3 more. This, in conclusion, is also a overall problem in the whole of Gaias - the lack of quests. If soloable content had more quests, then adding more quests to dungeons wouldn't be a problem, but as it is, I see why it is indeed a problem currently.

The bottomline in my opinion is, however, that while flawed, the levelling process is good enough as it is and there are more important things to be adressed: especially the lack of end game content and, less importantly, diversity in gameplay.

Level 1
This may be a little off-topic, but is it possible to make the phoenix sword that drops from FL upgradable to 2handed for berserkers, like it will be for crusaders, in future versions? I really wanna farm that sword but it's useless for berserker :p

Level 9
It'd be easily possible, just make pheonix a required item in a recipe for a 2h weapon, because thats how the reds will be upgraded im 99% sure about that, box and I have ideas about upgrading legendaries if zweib wants us to keep making items for the later content.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
It'd be easily possible, just make pheonix a required item in a recipe for a 2h weapon, because thats how the reds will be upgraded im 99% sure about that, box and I have ideas about upgrading legendaries if zweib wants us to keep making items for the later content.
If your item job works out good, I could imagine hiring you guys again for future updates.

Level 7
If this were some MMORPG that people had to pay to play or anything of that sort I think worrying about the boring part of leveling from the high teens and low 20s would be something that could be addressed. However given the small community and nature of War3 maps these days I think its something extremely irrelevant to worry about.

Also I think if/when we get to upgrade the d3 red items that would be a great incentive for higher leveled players to go back and actually do d3. Especially if a max geared level 50 character can solo d3, it makes it easier for lower levels to tag along and get experience/items that the level 50 doesn't want/need.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
The early lvls are by no means 'extremely irrelevant'. It is the early gameplay that is supposed to attract new players to the playerbase. The map is good enough to have a large player base, but with the current early gameplay, a lot of people who could have become Gaia players don't, simply because it isn't interesting enough early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.