• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

*Tips for a beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey everyone,

Because I don't have the right programs to model...
Ah nevermind I'll skip this part...

I just want to start Skinning...

Does someone good has tips for me like:

• Start with the skin Blabla.blp it's the easiest one.
  • Don't start with Dreadlord.blp (Heard it was the hardest)
  • Or other tips for skinning.
The tips you give are also usefull for other starters.

Remember that I've never made a icon/skin so i don't know anything about it and the easiest tips are the best for me.

Thankz :thumbs_up:
+Rep for usefull tips!

Level 9
If you want you can start choosing a colour (ex. red) and then follow the same color pattern as the original skin does. So if it is darker at that place you should make it darker with your colour (ex. dark red) and if it is lighter you make it lighter with your colour (ex. light red).

And remember I aint that good texturer, I have been doing it for like a half year now tho (but I have had some times when I doesnt create one single texture in one month).
So this might not be the best tip. But still you will learn a little on how to shade and such.

Hope I helped you.

And about what skin you should pick....hmmm....I think beastmaster....It was the first skin I used. and it is pretty good. The thing you have to remember is that you dont have to paint all of him. (I think you dont have to paint his left arm because it is the same as his right) but I dont know.....anyways, dont expect a miracle the first time.

Level 13
Very usefull tip Thanks! +rep!

And I gonna try the archmage =D I'll just start with a recoloring cuz i dunno how to add things :p

Level 9
Thanks for the +rep :) makes it worth it. And archmage is the horse? I think he is pretty hard to skin, but be my guest. And it is probably just for training anyways.

:)

EDIT:I got another tip to. Save your skin often, even tho it takes a little space...it is good if you make something wrong or something happens. I usualy save everytime I go to another place of the skin. Like I have done hes eyes and then I save, and I have done hes feets and then I save. Well anyways, save often.

Save often!
Save often!
Save often!
Save often!

Last edited:
And I gonna try the archmage =D I'll just start with a recoloring cuz i dunno how to add things :p

I wouldn't recommend you even both doing any recolour. It takes no skill, looks bad unless done properly, and you'd generally be wasting your time. Especially on this site.

Save often!
Save often!
Save often!
Save often!

Yes! Like anything on a computer. Save frequently. When I texture, every time I stop making brush strokes I save. Every possible pause and chance I get I save.

As for Sabelion's tips on colours, he's right - in a sense that you need varying levels of lighting. Shading is an essential. However, you can't simply brighten the shade. The colour will need to change as well. Varying hues and varying shades.

Level 9
And here comes the moderator to give you some tips. And I feel very proud that he agreed with me :D.

And Squidle I meant that you should choose (Red) a colour and then use it at a place (Green) and then if you see another place with a darker colour (dark green) of same type, then use a darker colour of your type (dark red) there.

You think that could work Hawkwing?

okay.. here's my tips :D

1# = Go see my tutorial!
2# = Start with the VillagerMale.blp skin (it's the easiest to understand)

====Easiest way to make a skin Step by Step=====
1# = Start by recovering your hole skin with a color..
2# = Draw with a hard black line the concept of your skin (armor position, cloths etc)
3# = add the color you want at each places..
4# = Make the texture
5# = Add the lightning and shadow.
6# = Play with Hue/Saturation and Birghtness/Contrast for a better results :D

P.s = Don't know why i made a Santa Elf XD

there ya go..

Attachments

• Test1.png
    Test1.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Test2.png
    Test2.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Test3.png
    Test3.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Test 4.png
    Test 4.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Test5.png
    Test5.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Test6.png
    Test6.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 85
thats waaay to scratchy of a brush, Mr. Goblin. I mean, the fluff looks like it has ridges, which it does not. It has individual light colored hairs, not a bunch of ridges and shadows. Overall, the shading is patchy and looked like you used a mosaic filter on it.

hey dude.. i made this in 5 minutes.. no jokes XD, it's only to show how i work, i didn't tryed to make something epic.. i just made something sketchy and fast to show the steps..

I saw this post, i wanted to help, and i don't have the time to make something good looking.. my finals exams are coming, and i'm studying like crazy.. i during my 15 min breaks of studying i saw this post.. and helped :D

so yeah.. i understand you, and why the skin isn't nice it's ''nothing personal''

Level 13
Mr. Goblin... YOUR AWESOME!

This is just what i need cuz i dunno how to get to work...
And you showed me :D I wish i could give ya 1,000,000 rep!!

Level 9
Mr. Goblin... YOUR AWESOME!

This is just what i need cuz i dunno how to get to work...
And you showed me :D I wish i could give ya 1,000,000 rep!!

That was picture is what I meant, but I didnt have any pictures and that guide whould have taken me a day to make. And that Mr.Goblin is amazing. I cant realy belive you did that in 5 min. It whould take hours for me to make that.

I repped him to :).

Level 13
First Skin

Lawl.

Okay I think i don't really know how to work with the tools but...
My first Skin is here:hohum:
24xgd2b.jpg

Level 9
R-Really?

I thought it was too awfull, even for the first texture i made...:eek:

But Thanks!:grin:

I think it is an very good first texture :p. What program do you use?

Hawkwing said:
Try freehanding the hair. Don't waste your time recolouring.

I think recolouring is good training for shading and such for him.

Level 13
Recolouring wont teach you anything.

I wish I had Photoshop, too. :( ...
However, it's a very good texture for the first time.
I've just started texturing, too and must say you are better then me.
I guess you saw my SpiderMan skin ...
Keep on learning, just like me.
chilla_killa

Gimp is also good (Same tools

And yeah i saw it...
It's very original and nice but the head is only a recoloring and the eyes/spider is a bit strange... but anyway, Good Job:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.