• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Timer Lag Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I used to think that timers that never stopped made games more laggy, and I still do, but what is the approximate interval (every 0.5 second, 10 seconds, etc.) that this lag becomes noticeable? (I know it differs depending on RAM size and other stuff, but just an approximate estimate for an average computer).

Theres just a lot of cool spells you can make with timers that run every 1 second that you can't do otherwise, like an invisibility aura.

Level 11
It depends on how complex the timer-trigger is, or how much special effects does it create, or how many units does it move/pick/involve in the action. It's not a question of the interval, it's a question of coding.
But of course, these things depend mainly on your computer's capabilities.

Level 6
504 MB of RAM, a timer that lets say pick units in a 600 AOE every 1 second, adds no special effects, and adds an ability to the picked units.

So how laggy would this be very, very approximately?

Level 6
Hm but 10 of these will right? Oh well I'm going to go ahead and make it. Thx for the help again paskovich. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.