• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] time to learn JASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hey. i want to learn jass because i know GUI and to know JASS is a good benefict. if u know any good tutorial that learn me the basics of JASS i would appriciate if u did post a like :) gonna check out JASS classroom now :grin:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Following the JASS Courses seems the best option at moment. I've tryed one of Vexorian's tutorial but it came to a point where it was too confusing.

If you want to be able to post in the JASS Classroom, PM Daelin asking to join. However, it seems Daelin has a problem with his PC or something, so the JASS Courses are on Stand-By.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Why do people find it so hard to learn jass?
When I was 13 I learned jass and could write complex spells (now 14) and some adults can not even learn it.
And NO I had no other programming knowledge at the time so I learned my programing skills from jass which is unusual.

The basics is. . .
You have functions
You have locals
You have default functions
You have boolean returning comparisons
You have returns

Try getting jass shop pro or jass craft since thoes programs are good ways to learn jass since they list ALL default functions allowing you to easily find what you are after.

Alot of learning jass is trial and error and also folowing a syntax.
A syntax is like a format that jass has to be in.

JASS:
function test takes integer a, integer b returns integer
    local real r
    set r = a*b
    set r = r+a+b
    set r = r*r/a/b
    return r
endfunction

the first line starts a function and has a syntax of.
"function " + FUNCTION_NAME + " takes" + VALUES_TAKEN + " returns" + VALUE_TYPE_RETURNED

The function is closed by using the endfunction command

Creating a local uses the syntax
"local" + VARABLE_TYPE + REFERENCE_NAME
and appon creating a local it can be set like
local integer I = 1
and that will be valid
but doing. . .
JASS:
set I = 1
local integer I
Is not valid since

ALL LOCALS BUST BE DECLAIRED AT THE BEGINNING OF A FUNCTION BEFORE ANY OTHER ACTIONS ARE USED!

This is only a very brief tutorial that I hope helps you begin to understand the basics so that you can move onto the more advanced tutorials.

Status
Not open for further replies.