• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Tileset increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I'm hoping this hasn't been over done too many times but I am looking for a way to increase the number of terrain tiles I can use on a map. I have the Sharp editor DL'd but Idk much about it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The 16 tile limit is purely because the game only allocates 4 bits per terrain node for tile variance. The engine actually supports more than 16 tiles just one cannot ever use them as overflow in the 4 bit field causes other tile types to be used. Fixing this is likely a non-trivial change, especially with backwards compatibility, and will degrade performance due to having to allocate at least another 2 bytes per terrain node.

Ironically it also allocates 4 bytes for cliff type as well. However only the first 2 values function correctly with all others resulting in buggy cliff meshes.

Status
Not open for further replies.