• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

THW.TTC15 Kirin Tor Offensive

ktosbanner-png.356709

Footman16 Presents
The Kirin Tor Offensive
Led by their Commander Jaina Proudmoore
kirin-tor-symbol-jpg.356707

To Play as the Kirin Tor select Human and set Handicap to 90%

Features

• 3 New Heroes from Warcraft Lore: Jaina Proudmoore, Vereesa Windrunner and Kalec
  • 15 varied units to fill different roles
  • Custom abilities to give the race a distinctive feel and playstyle
  • HQ reforged resources
For this race I had a few design philosophies in mind, the first one was choice and variation, there's a few options to go down here. You can either go fully Silver Covenant with their archers and air units or you can focus more heavily on casters. I also wanted a focus on mobility so all units are on average faster than other counterparts.

In terms of casters we have 3 Kirin Tor casters. The arcanist is your traditional mage who can summon water elementals and teleport, offering versatility and quick repositioning. The mage is a much more offensive caster who can stun, block and augment attacks.

The summoner is quite unique in how he provides healing by killing a target friendly or enemy summoned unit to heal nearby allied units. He can also, after a research, summon a siege elemental an invulnerable but slow moving unit who can quickly level buildings. As such the enemy will want to prioritise stunning/killing summoners (if they see siege elementals) quickly.

The mana crystal is a support unit akin to the Obsidian statue in its functionality offering passive mana regen and with an upgrade another healing option.

For Tier 3 we have Dalaran constucts, massive melee units that can damage multiple enemy units and also self-heal or the Azure Drake. The Azure Drake is a heavy flying unit that whilst very expensive can turn the tide of battle. We also have the Dragonhawk Warrior offering a blend of Tier 2 and Tier 3 functionality.

I hope you mix and match different playstyles and unit compositions and see how they fare against other races.

The Units and Heroes
Including Swordsmen, Archers, Elven Catapults, Arcanists, Magi, Summoners and Azure Drakes to name a few.
ktosc1-png.356710

The Buildings
ktosc2-png.356711

The Heroes

ktosc3-png.356706

Credits

• Moonman
  • Tomoraider
  • ArtisT0te
  • Ken Lenard Navarro
  • Tamplier777
  • JAKEZINC
  • Mythic
  • JesusHipster
  • CeDiL
  • Pyritie
  • Champara Bros
  • A massive thanks to all the people who's resources I've used and if I've missed anyone please tell me so I can rectify it immediately.
Notes

• Please report any bugs if they're found and I'll see what I can do to fix them.
  • If there's any balance changes or comments please let me know.
  • This map is playable in Reforged only.
  • I'll be adding this tech-tree to a 1v1 map however the Duststorm map is the entry itself.
  • If anyone wishes to help improve the look of the race they can do so by checking out this thread [Reforged] Simple Skinning request.
  • If anyone has soundfiles from WoW for Kalec as well that would be appreciated and you would be credited.
Previews
Contents

Kirin Tor Offensive (Map)

THW.TTC15 Kirin Tor Offensive (Map)

Update

Kalecgos
  • Entropy now affects hostile units and damage Summoned units
  • New skin for Kalecgos (normal isn't working but I'll try and fix it)
  • New Voice lines for Kalecgos
  • Known Issue: Voice lines don't play for Kalecgos in Dragon Form
I thought Kalecgos could use a little more love and to make his Q spell a bit more useful in the early game against Far Seers Spirit Wolves or Archmages Water Elemental, making his W spell less of an obvious choice.

I thought Kalecgos was neutral in MoP? Third hero should be Modera

Also looking forward to see those custom assets

Nah I felt that Kalecgos fit better with the overall theme of the race, I don't play WoW but he was heavily involved with the Commander Jaina Proudmoore so he'll be staying :) I was tempted to add Modera as a 4th hero but I couldn't find a suitable model or the motivation myself to make it.

Most of the custom assets I've made are minor edits at best so I doubt I'll upload them, folk can just export them from the map, as long as I'm credited I don't mind.

How did you find the race to play?

Update

Jaina Proudmoore
  • Choosing Jaina as your First Hero now replaces the High Elven Spellblade in the Arcane Sanctum with the new Kirin Tor Guardian.
  • Choosing Kalecgos or Vereesa first will give you the standard Spellblade.
  • The Kirin Tor Guardian is a tankier beefier version of the High Elven Spellblade at the cost of movement speed and a weaker dispel.
  • Dragonhawk Warriors Ensnare ability has been instead replaced with an inherent ability that when the Dragonhawk Warrior is killed it is only the rider that dies and the Dragonhawk remains as a weak anti-air unit.
  • Re-balanced the archer's hit points and cost.
  • Fixed a tooltip issue
So I just had to find an excuse to use the Kirin Tor Guardian (Reforged) model by Moonman somewhere in this entry and felt it was appropriate to have your hero choice affect your unit line up. It also helps to make Jaina stand out as the Commander of this entry by giving her a unique unit.

Last edited:
I liked the overall theme and art of the race, the art assets look really nice and it all fits together. Really nice that you added custom voices to Kalecgos and the other heroes. The mana shields on all the buildings is pretty cool, though it reminds much of Protoss.

However, it feels very unfinished and it does not really feel like a co-op commander. It feels more like a normal custom race than co-op as there are no special abilities that you can research for your heroes, or any form of global abilities (except the mana shield on all buildings). The Dragon roost only got 1 Azure Drake to buy which is very underwhelming, the aviary is ok but nothing special about it.

The abilities of Jaina are very cool and Valeera's are not bad either, however Kalecgos is very underwhelming. He needs more interesting abilities and more power, but the aoe healing is pretty neat.

Overall, pretty well done!

I liked the overall theme and art of the race, the art assets look really nice and it all fits together. Really nice that you added custom voices to Kalecgos and the other heroes. The mana shields on all the buildings is pretty cool, though it reminds much of Protoss.

However, it feels very unfinished and it does not really feel like a co-op commander. It feels more like a normal custom race than co-op as there are no special abilities that you can research for your heroes, or any form of global abilities (except the mana shield on all buildings). The Dragon roost only got 1 Azure Drake to buy which is very underwhelming, the aviary is ok but nothing special about it.

The abilities of Jaina are very cool and Valeera's are not bad either, however Kalecgos is very underwhelming. He needs more interesting abilities and more power, but the aoe healing is pretty neat.

Overall, pretty well done!

Hi thanks for the review.

Could you explain a bit about how you think the race is "very unfinished" on contrary i think the race is very well polished and well rounded.

As for the co-op part i get that my understanding of the theme was to make a tech tree centred around a specific hero not necessarily create a co-op commander map that would be closer to a campaign style as opposed to the contest which is altered melee.

The azure drake is similar to the frost wyrm, high tech, high cost end game unit but quite powerful. Yeah in terms of air units the Kirin Tor Offensive dont really have much thats inventive or thematic.

I like Kalecs abilities their versatile and make him effective at support. Though i agree that support heroes are boring to most people if theyre not your thing :)

The Azure Drake is almost a replica of the Frost Wyrm, it should have something more unique so that it feels like an azure dragon. Maybe give it researchable spell immunity, some frost spell or devour. Would be cool to see a flying spellcaster, the Kirin Tor are mages so fits the theme. Maybe make the Azure Drake a spellcaster?

Even a support have some offensive capability, and Kalecgos being a healer doesn't really fit with him being the aspect of magic nor a blue dragon.

Level 4
Pretty good map, I didn't have any problems with it, sadly since it can only be played with Reforged graphics I could not enjoy it has much (because my pc can't run Reforged graphics very well), but I still had fun while playing it.

Last edited: