• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] "Thrown" AOE stun ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
How to make an AOE point-targeting stunning spell that doesn't take effect instantly upon casting, but has a projectile that travels to the target point first? I think the DotA hero Sven has a spell that works like that. I would know how to make the instant effect spell work, that's easy, but I don't know how to incorporate the projectile (that is, how to detect when it "lands", if you know what I mean). So yeah... any help?

Level 33
The base spell for Sven's Hammer is Channel.
Data - Options:
Visible
Targeting Image

It's this Targeting Image is causing the spell to have AOE indicator shown even that spell is single-target unit.

After you have ticked the Targeting Image, change the Area of Effect to anything more than 100, that is your indicator range of AOE.

This information is for the mechanics of the spell to cast it, not the trigger.

For the trigger, you need to handle the projectile in Trigger Editor.

Level 33
I'll make it for you.
If you don't understand, feel free to ask.
And one more thing, practice makes perfect :)

Because if you don't do something by yourselves, you won't be learning anything, well just a bit compared to do it yourself.

Here, a test map.

Attachments

• Storm Bolt.w3x
    17.5 KB · Views: 432
Level 15
Base the ability on Pocket Factory, then detect through triggers if a unit enters the map and is equal to the Pocket Factory's dummy unit.
Doesn't a dummy who died allready and the enemy run off and the dummy died and remove, be undetectable? (the removed unit doesn't exists, the "unit type" = null)

Is it a missile system that expires upon reaching the target point? :ogre_hurrhurr: :thumbs_up:
Wait, you mean that the missle itself is a unit that moved with trigger?

Level 3
Many thanks to UndeadImmortal, En_Tropy, and defskull for nice ideas (and in defskull's case, even more :grin:). I'll be trying all that stuff. +rep to you guys as well.

Edit: Can't give it to you yet defskull, the site says I must spread some rep around before. Don't worry, you'll get it as soon as possible :thumbs_up:

Level 15
It doesn't get expired at target point.
It expires at target-unit.

A dummy unit that expires at a target unit? ermm but if the unit is able to run off endlessly (blink) or go invulnerable, the dummy unit will be unable to reach, and by that stack many many dummy without removal (you can't detect that a missle didn't hit, only that a missle hit for removal) how did DOTA overcome it?

Level 33
^
Overcome, what ?
The trigger can handle up to 8121 instance running at a time, it's impossible to have that kind of limit in a particular game.

Just like Necro's Death Pulse, you can actually run away from the projectile and have it stack permanently until it reaches the target unit.
But for it to stack up to 8000++ instances with that given size of a map, it's impossible.

Level 15
^
Overcome, what ?
The trigger can handle up to 8121 instance running at a time, it's impossible to have that kind of limit in a particular game.

Just like Necro's Death Pulse, you can actually run away from the projectile and have it stack permanently until it reaches the target unit.
But for it to stack up to 8000++ instances with that given size of a map, it's impossible.

Necro's death pulse is actually a Fan of Knives.
I am reffering to DragonHawk's missle. It removed if the unit dies.
But once void go invul for one second, the missle cannot hit him, hence a stacked dummy in mid air, if they remove it after 10 seconds, the missle will be able to dodge by simply blinking over 10 seconds, if not, it will remain stuck in the air untill the gameover. What can map maker do to avoid this?

Level 33
I am reffering to DragonHawk's missle. It removed if the unit dies.
Simply add a condition if Target is Dead, kill the missile.
Else, move the projectile.

But once void go invul for one second, the missle cannot hit him, hence a stacked dummy in mid air, if they remove it after 10 seconds, the missle will be able to dodge by simply blinking over 10 seconds, if not, it will remain stuck in the air untill the gameover. What can map maker do to avoid this?
You mean that sometimes you can evade projectile just by blinking ?
Such as QoP Poison Dagger, Leoric Stun, etc ?
Default ability by default, can be evaded by timing correctly with Blink-based ability.

You cannot, I repeat, you cannot evade Sven's Bolt even if you time correctly as possible because it's not a default ability, it's triggered (the projectile).

Leoric stun on the other hand, you can evade it because it simply uses default Warcraft III ability, Storm Bolt.

Level 15
You cannot, I repeat, you cannot evade Sven's Bolt even if you time correctly as possible because it's not a default ability, it's triggered (the projectile).

Leoric stun on the other hand, you can evade it because it simply uses default Warcraft III ability, Storm Bolt.
I was refering to void 1 second of invulnerabilty but I ghess "if target is invulnerable or the target is dead remove the missle else move it closer, if it close enough and target isn't dead and it is not invulnerable remove the missle" just as well.
So the reason you can't avoid his stormbolt is because its a dummy? 0_0 I didn't know.

Level 33
So the reason you can't avoid his stormbolt is because its a dummy? 0_0 I didn't know.
Well, "technically" you "can" imitate the behaviour of the default Storm Bolt (blink to evade it) but it requires more advance triggering and could lose precision of the spell.
Therefore, a simple coding does the job perfectly.

But if you still want to do it, first you need to register every single ability that has this mechanics (possible to avoid via blinking).
Next, if the target blinks away after the projectile has been created, directly change the flight path of the projectile to the initial location of the target
Upon arriving the location, kill the projectile.

You don't even need "timing" in Warcraft III to evade the projectile.
The condition is simple: Blink when the caster spawns the projectile at any time before you were hit by the projectile
Even if the caster is 10,000 range away from the target, and right after caster spawns the projectile, you can immediately blink to anywhere you want (you can even blink to the same place) without getting hit.

This mechanic is from default Warcraft III engine.

Last edited:
Level 15
You don't even need "timing" in Warcraft III to evade the projectile.
The condition is simple: Blink when the caster spawns the projectile at any time before you were hit by the projectile
Even if the caster is 10,000 range away from the target, and right after caster spawns the projectile, you can immediately blink to anywhere you want (you can even blink to the same place) without getting hit.

This mechanic is from default Warcraft III engine.
WOW
But I my question was about projectiles made of dummies: what if they stack? wouldn't that create way too many global units? I got my answer though: if unit invulnerable kill the dummy, and also if the target unkillable make the dummy run close to it and remove it, it will be best if the unit move with 522+ movement speed and in my opinion, with increased movement speed over the time, to make sure that the target won't stack milion nukes (dummies) on the map.

Level 33
As I said before, you won't even get to stack 10 dummies as the game (DotA) itself has small space and intense gameplay.

It's not like you have the whole space as your battle ground, it's a small map indeed.

So don't worry if you have like 5 dummies flying across the map, eventually, it will reach the destination.

Level 15
As I said before, you won't even get to stack 10 dummies as the game (DotA) itself has small space and intense gameplay.

It's not like you have the whole space as your battle ground, it's a small map indeed.

So don't worry if you have like 5 dummies flying across the map, eventually, it will reach the destination.

-sh (same hero) 5x10players = 50.

Level 33
Again I said, no one would be that stupid to activate that map (or mode) and expect to have "fun" with it.
Even in -wtf mode, if you spam Spectre's ultimate, the game would lag out.
So don't expect everything to be in a good order if you're abusing the gameplay.

Also, it looks ridiculous if the speed of the projectile travels like 200 ~ 500 speed per range.
The standard speed for projectile is around 1000 ~ 2500.
You won't get that far to escape that speed.

Level 18
again i said, no one would be that stupid to activate that map (or mode) and expect to have "fun" with it.
Even in -wtf mode, if you spam spectre's ultimate, the game would lag out.
So don't expect everything to be in a good order if you're abusing the gameplay.

Also, it looks ridiculous if the speed of the projectile travels like 200 ~ 500 speed per range.
The standard speed for projectile is around 1000 ~ 2500.
You won't get that far to escape that speed.

defskull wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.