• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Things to have in mind

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
by Healingpoison...

Introduction
These are a couple things I think everyone should know when making a map.

Test your map
Most Important, Test your map often, as you put in new triggers test them to make sure they work. The last thing you want is to make your whole map (triggers and all) and then find out one trigger doesn't work, then you have to go through and check each trigger which is a pain.

Stay on topic
Keep being focused around one topic (This may not apply to some of you more senior people), especially if your new to world editor its important to stay on one topic. I know it is easy to drift off into other ideas and then attempt to mush them all together, but you should try to focus your map, for example: if you have a Tower Defense it wouldn't fit to have the players building a hero along the side lines, I mean think about people play TDs because they like the fast paced action and the idea of building defenses.

Start small
Do not try to go past your abilities. Map making is like skiing, when your learning to ski you just dont start out on the slope with the most black diamonds, you start easy on a green or blue, in map making you shouldn't try to start putting in advanced triggers that you dont understand, stick with the easy stuff first, If your making an AoS just start with the basic spawing and hero selection triggers, try to refrain from advanced triggering untill your at the point where your map requires it.

Models
Maps do not need custom models, skins, and icons to be great. One great example is Warhammer 40k TD! Any map can be great without imported items. Also, its alright if you dont understand how to import such items. Dont get all upset if you cant get customs into your map, just keep working on it.

Don't give up
Keep at it. Giving up on a map you have worked hard to create is one of the worst things you can do in world editor. I know i have do it before, once I was working on a Warhammer 40k battle and I had nearly finished, I had all the terrian, units, and triggers, but then I gave up on it and started making a new map, and now I'm making a map just like that one and i wish i had never gotten rid of that first version.

Be open
Sharing your ideas with other people to get their opion is always a good idea. If your stuck when your writing a storyline for your map and you dont know wether the heros should get squashed by trolls or shot by dwarves, ask someone. Also, you can have people help you make your map, its not like its a shame to have someone else work on your map with you, in fact its probably going to make a better map. (Thanks Rallie)

Level 32
Information Transfered

The information included in ths document has been transfered to the World Editor FAQ - Work in Progress tutorial.

~ Thread moved.

TWS.gif

Last edited: