• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Theory crafting: Tavern and Altar Expansions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello,

I am currently working on improving Tavern and Altar for TFT melee maps.

So far I have created the following heroes and based on my tests (as a newb vs computer) they feel balanced and fun:

Dragonsworn Battle Mage: Mirror Image, Demoralizing Shout(Howl of Terror, but it reduce armor - penalties equals Devotion Aura bonuses), Truestrike Aura (Trueshot aura but it affects only melee units), Summon Draconic Allies (summons 3 level 6 blue dragons). This unit is not undead.

Bandit Warlock: Rain of Fire, Flame Cloak (lighting shield reskin, affects only ground units), Fel Fury (Pulverise on a ranged hero) and Doom. This unit is not undead.

Lone Ranger: Hail of Arrow (missles from tinkerer, but they target only ground and stuns for longer), Flash Step (blink), Battlecry (Roar) Dauntless (100% chance to deal 25% more damage to heroes).

Bandit Lord: Summon Brigands (summons 2/3/4 spear throwing bandits), Howl of Terror, Cleave, Command Aura. This unit is not undead. I am considering removing this one from the tavern and make it a human exclusive hero and replace the Summon Brigands with a summon Militia spell (making this a summon spell which you can improve with research as well as hero levels).

These are all tavern heroes.

I also plan on making the following alterations to UD Heroes.

Dreadlord - trade Sleep for Howl of Terror and Inferno for Avatar(Garithos version). Reskin as a new hero called Deathbringer

New Undead Hero: Tactician - Call of the Haunted (summons 2 zombies), Sleep, Unholy Vigor, (a variation of Roar spell, it is altered so it increases HP regen and armor values. Because this is a temporary buff, the values will be higher than what is given by auras) Inferno.

Based on your experiences, do you guys think I am going in the right direction?

Edit: Forgot to add the fact that I removed Pit Lord from my map.

Last edited:
Level 21
some constructive criticism - it seems that a lot of your abilities are very similar to the normal hero abilities. If you added new heroes it would be better if they had new unique abilities and not just repackaged versions of the abilities that other heroes already have...

(sorry for being harsh...)

Level 7
Yeah, that's because I am very bad with Jass and don't have the time to learn it so everything I do is exclusively based on the limitations of the version of my editor (1.27).

I am also a minimalist and don't like to go all out with big flashy stuff and so far most of the skills I've recycled are used in a way no other unit currently uses it.

Edit: Forgot to add the fact that I removed Pit Lord from my map.

Last edited:
Level 7
I try my best and brush up the abilities as nice as possible.

The mirror image animations for my tavern battle mage are completely different to the one used by Blademaster.

If you want to try out the heroes I recommended you can find the maps in which they are feature on my profile. (Not Forsaken Strand though - that one is clasic melee).

Status
Not open for further replies.