• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Web of Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The Web of Shadows
an original campaign by SmokingGun

Current Stage: v0.1
Download: View attachment #The Web of Shadows.zip

Summary:
The Web of Shadows is an original and unique custom campaign for Warcraft III. The player takes control of the dark, insidious Nerubians in their struggle for supremacy over the undead, and it is set in the icy lands of Northrend. A young prince of Azjol-Nerub, Horus'aman, leads his people, but a dark shadow looms over his shoulders--Yol'vaud Frostvoice, a powerful lich with an even more powerful desire to see the Spider Kingdom erased from the history books.

As the story begins, the nerubians have begun to despair of ever seeing the light of triumph in their guerrilla war against the vile Lich King. To this end, Horus'aman takes a group of his elite warriors to secure an ancient nerubian artefact, that is said to hold untold power...but Yol'vaud has heard of the young prince's plans, and aims to stop him, forfeiting any small chance the Nerubians had...

Features:
The Web of Shadows is, in its current state, a three-map campaign--with one interlude--and is unfinished. However, I maintain progress, however slow it may be, and hope one day to see its epic conclusion.

There is a completely new playable race for the player to explore over the course of what will (probably) be a ten-map work of art. This means new units, abilities and upgrades! No small amount of effort was spared to ensure the quality and sincerity of all that is contained within this campaign. Only the highest quality of new resources were used (none of them my own; my skills in the field of modelling are sadly unexceptional) to bring you The Web of Shadows.

Besides the new techtree, every single new unit has a custom soundset. No more clicking dejectedly on a bored-looking nerubian and hearing the same-old half-cut Crypt Fiend voice--that's right, every Nerubian you command has new lines and a unique personality. (almost; this is still a work in progress, and my microphone is broken. Some of the units are sadly left unvoiced at the time of this release) And besides that, no longer are you forced to suffer in silence during a long cutscene--my characters have real, engaging (throat-killing to record) voices!

But enough of talk. I know what the people want: cake!
Unfortunately, I have no cake. Hopefully these Screenshots will do, instead:

Map01 - The Valley of Death
Screenie1.png

A Nerubian base.
Screenie2.png

The snazzy new loading screen!
Screenie3.png

New heroes means new abilities.
Screenie4.png

Quests, galore!
Screenie5.png

Horus'aman expresses consternation upon finding an undead base in the snow.
Screenie6.png

A pitched battle between Nerubians and Undead.
Screenie8.png

I am open to general criticism of my maps. However, please refrain from posting any hateful or woefully pointless material. "It r GAY!!1!" is not feedback. Also, please avoid starting any flame wars where possible. I'd rather no have the thread erupt, if you know what I mean.
:ogre_hurrhurr:

Credits:
My credits list is incomplete, I will freely admit. However, instead of simply pointing out that I have used a resource and not given full credit, you could reply with any information you have about where that resources was found. Making a credits list completely slipped my mind when I began to download resources for these maps, and by the time I realized, it was too late. I know that most of the unaccounted-for resources come from the Hive Workshop. They're just a little...lost.

Finally, some of the models etc are placeholders. Please don't point that out (unless you are making a useful contribution to development) simply because you didn't read the bottom of the page.

Thanks again, for the first time.
-SmokingGun.

Level 19
Hey, played the map. I liked it, but I dont love it.
There is room for improvement.

Terrain:
Its good. Good enough for a campaign, I see effort to it, especially on Ner'itir.
You could use more variations for the trees, but its a campaign. I wont check it much.

You should have filled in some gaps, made some places a but narrow, making it strategic or double cliff levels with a Undead base beside it, allowing to to blind attack them.
3.5/5

Gameplay:
A bit of a let down somehow.
The techtree should be unique, maybe Nerubians could be good at slows, etc. All I saw was a Human + Undead.
You should have added a more units at Chapter 2, because the swarm of Ghouls were practically unbeatable. I maxed the food limit nearly 5 times to beat them. But, that was still not enought, so I just whosyourdaddy'd it.
2/5

Else, more item drops, more units to be trained and more structures.

Visuals:
I loved the cinematics. Voice Acting, plus a clever script.
The let down here was the SFX. Lacking much. But, that wont drag it down that much.
4/5

Resource Utilization:
You did a creative way of using ingame resources, especially on their main structure.
Also, the sounds really fitted the theme. This is what I liked the most.

The only thing I didnt like here was the loading screens. Use different ones for different chapters,
4.5/5

Polishing:
Tooltips should be un-blizzard like. We all know they did a bad(well not so bad) job on their tooltips. I suggest to check the Aesthetics Tutorial here.

Also, quest names should be more inventive. The first quest of Chapter 1 was uncreative, else the others were.
3/5

Overall:
Overall a good campaign. I enjoyed playing it.
There are some flaws which one should expect.

I see room for improvement, but good luck. I had fun.
3.4/5

Level 2
Ahah! Brilliant feedback. Thank you very much. In response, I will say--

Terrain:
Variations in trees was something I did not consider, but I will try to address that. I mainly took inspiration from the Blizzard human/undead Northrend maps for mine, after looking at them and realising that Chapter One didn't fit at all (surprisingly, Northrend is mostly dirt!). Chapter Two, I will admit, is a bit of a hack. At the time, I was fairly pre-occupied with other things. I may go back and have another go at it some time, but Chapter Two is quite honestly very deserving of criticism.

On the strategy side of it, I designed these first few maps to be moderately easy (moderately, not 'first-time-player' easy). This means that anything other than basic enemies that attack head-on is out. In the plans I have for maps to come, enemies will be executing much more inventive strategies, I can promise. However.

If anyone wants to take a look at my AIs, they can, because I'm fairly sure they don't work as I wanted to--hence the reason the ghoul attacks in Chapter Two were eventually made into a scripted event, with them being spawned periodically as long as the orange player still had their crypt. Besides that, to account for the passivity of the purple undead base, the orange player has pretty much all of the ghoul upgrades plus unholy strength lvl1 already researched, so they present more of a challenge, but on my playthroughs and replays of independent testers, I have found that the ghouls swarm a little bit. Ok, a lot.
But I, and my playtesters (apart from one embarrassing replay) did not die while playing Chapter Two. Could you elaborate on any strategies you used/your playing style, so I can set about to fixing it up a little?

Finally, the last point in the terrain category, could you include some screenshots of places you thought needed special attention? It would be nice to know where to start on improving it.

Gameplay:
"A bit of a letdown somehow" is quite bland. Could you possibly elaborate further--which maps you enjoyed, how you played through the map etc?

Techtree should be unique--as much as possible, I tried to make the Nerubians as original as possible. "all I saw was human + undead" again, could you please elaborate? As a rule, I dislike the original human techtree and tend to steer clear of it, so specific examples would be nice, and according to lore, the Nerubians intensely dislike necromancy etc. Thus, I tried to make sure they did not copy the undead in any way, but if you feel I have, then I would welcome your feedback on the matter. I thank you for it, and will take a look myself.

Anyway, for example, were there any abilities you felt were, as you said "Human + Undead"-themed, or perhaps it was the units? Again, if I have specific examples, I'll know where to start.

On strategy again--the design of the first hero is to be used mainly as a damage-dealer/combat-supplement. His abilities focus mainly on disabling big opponents until the player is ready to deal with them. I don't know if that helps or not.

On the "maxing the food limit 5 times to beat" - the purple base was originally intended to be harder to defeat than the orange one. The AI does not account for the purple player to construct any more buildings (but they do cover units - replacements only, however) but it does allow the orange player to make up to about 8 ghouls and send them in with spawned necromancer/banshee combos. However, they cannot replace buildings--to my knowledge--or abominations, crypt fiends etc. This is meant to reflect the Nerubians' style of warfare so far--guerrilla, a war of attrition if you will. Later in the campaign, as the techtree is expanded throughout the maps and the Nerubians become a more dominant force, outright warfare will become a definite possibility.

However, I found that two squads of twelve evenly-split-up warriors and webspinners, plus Horus'aman, was easily enough to completely destroy the orange base with minimal losses, even during a frontal assault. The purple base was soon to follow, after gathering reinforcements. If you can, include a replay of your game, so I can see what you did and make adjustments to the map.

Item drops--yeah, I thought I might have been being a little sparing with those. Chapter one is damn hard to beat without doing it in a certain order, so I might go back and adjust the item drop tables and creep distribution.

Finally, on the units + upgrades. I don't know if you looked at the techtree in the editor, but all the units (save one any-tier Random unit and a ShopFlier) are there, as well as buildings. The upgrades section, too, contains a full set of upgrades--although I am open to suggestions here, as I do want to include a few more; it seems a little bare. If you just meant in the maps, then I reiterate one of my first points: the Nerubians are, at this point in the story, just recovering from taking a major beating by the Undead. Horus'aman's forces are supposed to be small and limited at this point.
Fear not, though. Chapter Four (in which the player must defend their base at Ner'itir from the undead for twenty/thirty minutes against multiple undead bases, as well as some optional quests and the introduction of the second Hero character in the story for use) will feature a more expanded techtree, with the player able to construct primary spellcasters and a few more upgrades. The upgrades in Chapter Two were intentionally lacking, as I did not want to jeopardise the limited nature of the Nerubian forces, while at the same time not wanting the player to feel like there was absolutely nothing to upgrade or do. I promise, there is more to come!

Visuals:
Ah, thank you very much! I was worried the cinematics might be a little jerky or bland, but it's good to hear that they are liked. I thought the voice acting might help out with getting a good rating here--as well as the fact that almost every campaign I've played has featured silent text-narration, which tends to annoy me. I thought I'd make it a little different. ;)

It is also good to know that the voices weren't too repetitive. I was vaguely worried that someone would comment on that most of the Nerubian voices are only seperated by quite minor voice- and pitch-changes.

How did the SFX let you down, personally? Details, please, so I can fix it up and make it flashy. Do you mean cinematic SFX, or in-game such as projectiles etc?

Resource Utilization:
Thank you for the compliment! It's always good to hear someone say something nice about your work.

I actually did not intend for most of the music I put in to match up with the cinematics, but...what can I say? The Warcraft 3 - Heroic Victory music is useful in almost every circumstance. It lined up very nicely with the opening of the gate at the end of Chapter Two.

One thing I was a little worried about with the music, was whether or not people would mind there being no custom/new tunes included. I've had feelers out for custom music, but so far no takers. If you know anyone who'd be willing to compose a few Nerubian in-game music tracks, direct them to me!

As for the loading screens, they were intentionally left bare. I am still trying to decide whether to go with custom art (which may be difficult to acquire/have as relevant to each map), screenshots (which would be easier) or to go with the Warcraft-III-style map with markers, customized to match up with the Nerubian theme (which is probably the easiest option). Which do you think?

Polishing:
Huh. I've read some of the Aesthetics-esque tutorials, but I always considered the blizzard tooltips to be alright. That's easy enough to change, but again, could you include an example of what is considered to be a "good" tooltip (preferably from another project/map, not from a tutorial--I've already seen most of those, and tend not to agree) so I have a base to work from. Un-blizzard-like covers a very broad area...

Quest names should be more inventive -- I went with making the main quest/s of each chapter having fairly straight-forward, descriptive names, so that the player could tell at a glance, as well as remember without fail the purpose of the quest. I can change it, if enough people think it should be changed--I figured it would be a visual/textual aid to the player, but I can see your point.

Overall:
Thank you very much for your feedback. It was careful, considerate and constructive, and has given me a definite starting point on which to begin improving my maps.

Thanks again!
-SmokingGun.

EDIT:

If you could, it'd be nice to see an assessment of Lore or Story elements, too. I work quite hard and consider myself quite skilled with words, when it comes to that kind of things. It'd probably be refreshing to hear someone else--someone not quite so biased as I am, I admit--talk about it. Thanks for all your feedback!

Level 19
On the Ghouls:
Strategy, I rallied 3 groups, two with maximum units and one with half of it.
I assaulted the base first with Group 3, which has the half units. When they reached it, I divided their attention by attacking the top with Group 2, with no special units.
After, Group 1, with Horus'aman, assualted it from below. Still, there were too much ghouls and they couldnt handle it.

On the Terrain Polishing:
I would say just place more variation and props/environmental doodads.

On Gameplay:
Basically most. I didnt like the techtree, I only enjoyed the Ruins part.
The Music: it was fitting in every portion. Good job.

On Techtree:
Well, Humans due to them only having a sort of Lumber Mill.
Undeads due to the units and them being squishy.
As I said, more bulky units to it and some units to counter enemy tanks.
An anti-structure is good too.

AI does replace the units. If a Crpyt dies, Acolytes build a new one.

On Visuals:
it was bland on cinematics. When the lich transformed to a Nerubian, it was the biggest let down at the SFX Department.
Also, one unit, I forgot to mention, the Fateweaver has a really soft volume, making it hard to hear it and has a less nerubian pitch.
Loading screens would benefit if they were Blizzard like.

On Tooltips:
This:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/aesthetics-33717/

Currently the best. If not, try this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/polishing-your-game-168019/

On Lore:
The Lore was fine, explained things properly. Maybe, at the start one Nerubian asks Horus'aman if he wants to go to the caves and you choose.
Add more decision specific things.
But maybe, on Ner'itir, the Lich shows up and a battle is done before the cinematic. It would be better if the Lich was not really him, but maybe a morphed/illusion of him.

Level 2
Ok, so.

Problems | Solutions:
- Fix tooltips; make them less blizzard-like. | Easy enough to fix. Will do.
- Ghouls; too many? | The orange base can, at any one time, have up to 10 constructed ghouls. These ghouls have the ghoul upgrade "feral (something)" which increases attack speed, and also have level 1 Unholy Strength, increasing their attack. In testing, one Nerubian warrior is equal to about two, two and a quarter ghouls, unupgraded. In the instance you described, perhaps try concentrating on taking out the ghouls with your main units while Horus'aman handles the larger abominations and crypt fiends, plus spellcasters, with Snapfree/Soul Chill/Frost Bolt. Horus'aman is designed to stop enemy tanks from being able to do anything to you before you're ready for them. | Perhaps I'll remove the orange base's upgrades, and see how that works out--but please, if you can, include a replay for me. I really need to see what's going wrong here.
- Terrain Polishing | Alright, I'll quest around for some additional resources, and have another couple of looks at Northrend terrain, and see what I can come up with.
- Techtree; didn't like/too similar + no tanks or anti-structure | I did not understand your comment here. Please expand--human-ish lumber mill? If anything, it is closer to the Orcish War Mill, as the human techtree has both the lumber mill and the Blacksmith which is their main upgrade hall for their units. | Undeads, due to the units--again, please expand. I can't fix the problem if I don't know what is wrong. As for them being squishy, Nerubian warriors are similar to Naga Myrmidons: strong, but costly. I don't know how they came across as squishy, but perhaps I will revise their stats. | On bulky units, instead of having a third-tier melee unit, as most techtrees, the Nerubians instead have the Improved Wargear upgrade, which turns the humble Nerubian warrior into a formidable death machine. I am, however, considering replacing this upgrade with a more orc-like troll berserker upgrade, simply so that I can justify adding more of a bonus to the upgrade. | Furthermore, Nerubians are much more spellcaster/warrior hybrids, than hulking brute-like units. | On anti-tank capabilities -- this is an issue I can address. I still have a unit slot left to spare to fill up the techtree. I will consider devoting this to an anti-tank/anti-building unit.
- On SFX; big let-down on Yol'vaud possessing the runner | Well, it would be great if you could expand more, but I think I understand. Unfortunately, lack of resources contributed to that effect becoming more mediocre than I intended. I will search around, and see what I can do to make it better.

Finally, yes, I do understand that the Fateweaver's volume is fairly muted. I'm taking steps to address that at the moment, so don't worry, it'll be fixed.

Thank you for the feedback, but I must please ask you to expand on your responses. I need more than one-sentence answers, please.

Thanks again!
-SmokingGun.

EDIT:
I will explain the techtree--my reasons for it, if you will--here, and see if that helps anyone.

Units:
Worker - Pretty standard fare here.
Warrior - Tier 1 Melee Unit - Standard fare again, although can learn the Poison Sting and Improved Wargear upgrades to become much more of a consummate death machine.
Webspinner - Tier 1 Ranged Unit (requiring a Mill) - Standard fare. A little bit of a copy of the Cryptfiend, but other than an acid-spitter (which I use somewhere else) there wasn't much choice. Learns Web.
Venomancer - Tier 2 Caster - The offensive spellcaster of the Nerubian race. Starts off with Parasite, learns Impale and...something else. I forget.
Fatewaver - Tier 2 Caster - The defensive spellcaster. Starts off with Frost Armour, learns Abolish Magic and...argh, again I forget here.
Ice Mage - Caster (requiring Shop) - A mix of the two, tending towards the offensive. Starts with Frost Arrows, learns two more ice-related spells, one of them Blizzard if I recall correctly.
Hornet - Tier 2 Flier - A fast, deadly air unit. Starts off only able to attack air units, much like the Hippogryph, but has an upgrade, Acid Glands, that acts like the human Flying Machine Bombs and lets it attack ground.
UNFILLED - Flier (requiring Shop) - UNFILLED
(this yet to be integrated) Nerubian Crusader - Tier 3 Melee Unit - Not a true new unit, but the result of upgrading Nerubian Warriors with Improved Wargear. Stronger, tougher, much more of a death-machine.
Stormrider - Tier 3 Ownage Device - A Nerubian riding a massive dragon, with a bad attitude and a killer instinct. Learns Stormburn.
UNFILLED - Random (any tier, any unit-type) - UNFILLED ( but pending integration as an anti-tank/anti-building unit, if I am inspired by a good idea for it )

Buildings:
Haven / Silkenspire / Darkweb Bastion - The Nerubian town hall. Can research Hive Senses (which is the worker special ability, much like Call to Arms/Garrison Burrow/Detonate/Sacrifice.)
Lair - The Nerubian barracks. Produces Warriors/Crusaders, Webspinners and Hornets. Researches Poison Sting and Web.
Nest - The Nerubian mill. Researches unit weapon/armour upgrades.
Ziggurat - Food production building. Building defense ability as of yet UNFILLED.
Arcane Spire - Spellcaster production building. Produces Venomancers/Fateweavers/Ice Mages. Researches Spellcaster upgrades.
Name forgotten (Workshop) - Workshop-type building. Produces (Random)/Webhaulers. Researches some upgrades for those units, as well as Overcharge.
Altar of the Spider - Altar. 'Nuff said.
Stormrider Den - Produces Stormriders. Researches Stormburn.
Frost Tower - Nerubian defensive structure. Can learn Overcharge.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Level 19
I just want to tell you that I like keeping my replies short and simple, not long and those page-fillers. I have scrolling down.

Also, friendly reminder, make your thread prettier, shorter and simpler.
Check SoE or my Factory for good thread presentation.

Ghouls:
You said, 1:2, well there were like 70 ghouls + necromancers very close to graveyards + abominations.
You said 1 Unit:2 Ghouls. Well, that would lead me to a nerubian warrior as 3 food x 35 units = 105 + 5 for Horus'aman = 110. Reaching capped food limit.
I dont want to make a replay, but lets just say either remove upgrades or make them stop producing ghouls when they reach 30 or 40. Also, I would like to inform you that I stayed at the upper base, not the lower one, making player orange not attack me.

If not, add the spellcaster-production building.

Also, I think, loose the Stormrider. I would prefer a brutish half warrior/mage nerubian, with high hp and an array of spells. Also, I think you should increase the unit with Infest's and Cold Arrows mana. I cant cast Blizzard/Impale most of the time.

The Hornet seems a good candidate for an anti-air.

On Techtree:
My mistake, yes it is similar to the War Mill. I didnt find the warriors close to Myrmidons. Due to the fact that they have low hp and dont have spells. Maybe a passive skill could do, like an Orcs Berserker Upgrade.

SFX:
Well Yol'vaud just had an SFX on him and you changed the runners tinting. It would be better if you went more grander, like adding more SFX's on the runner and Yol'vaud.

Level 2
Right, I see what you mean now.

Wow, 70 ghouls, how the hell did that happen.
Although, I suppose the spawning could have gotten out of hand--although I timed it to make sure it wouldn't. Evidently that didn't work. I can probably put a limiter on the spawn script--just making sure, these were spawned, ghouls, right? If so, then yeah I can fix it. otherwise, I have no idea what the AI is doing.

I will also have a go at revamping the warriors.

Thanks again!
-SmokingGun.

Status
Not open for further replies.