• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Spice Must Flow V0.01

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is a map project I recently started based on Frank Herbert's Dune.

At the moment, it's simply a melee map where you can only build on the rocky areas on the map, where gas is located, while minerals (in the form of the spice, melange), appear as randomly occuring spice blows, which explode after a certain time, or if a unit gets too close. They then scatter spice, and kill any units in range.

The only playable race at the moment is Terrans, but that will change in later versions.

Next version will include sand worms, and then I'll begin my custom races. There should be 6. When those two things are complete, so too will be my map.

Currently published on the Oceanic and Americas servers.

Changelog:
-made supply depots resource dropoff points
-got the construction of sand scourers working
-added win/loss conditions
-spice blows now appear when there's less than 40 melange on the map, previously 20
-added a simple observer-base unit to allow scouting

Keywords:
Dune melee arrakis sandworm sand
Contents

DuneTest.SC2Map (Map)

Reviews
01:16, 11th Jun 2011 Dr Super Good: The map has failed to show effort being put into it (quick terrain and few updates) and so does not pass nescescary quality standards to be approved. Feel free to update the map at any time (where it will be...

M

01:16, 11th Jun 2011
Dr Super Good:
The map has failed to show effort being put into it (quick terrain and few updates) and so does not pass nescescary quality standards to be approved. Feel free to update the map at any time (where it will be remoderated).

I'm having one more generic faction, rather than doing some lame great houses thing. Basically, you are humans. I'm not gonna do the dune game Harkonnen, Atriedes, Ordos set up, since in the novels, Harkonnens are rich, Atriedes are poor, and Ordos don't even exist. I'm gonna have 6 sub-factions, similar to Emperor: Battle For Dune. For those of you who don't like wikipedia/google, I'll explain: You select up to two sub races from among Ix, Tleilaxu, Bene Gesserit, the Spacing Guild, Fremen, and Sardaukar.

I also realise I forgot the win conditions. I'll get that fixed later today. EDIT: Done.

Last edited:
Well, like I said, atm its standard melee basically, just in a kinda cool map. Havent even got sandworms in properly. It's actually quite interesting already, since it makes you be really nomadic, which is part of why it's terran only. Once I have, say, working sandworms, harvesters, etc, I'll start on real screenshots.

Level 7
Interesting, I have always been a die-hard fan of the Dune series. Its a shame that the latest one Emperor of Dune is completely dead. No online game play, nothing.

Thank you for bringing Dune back from my childhood :)
Keep it up!

PS. Now that you mentioned it, Sandworms would be a great model to create. Thanks for the idea (;

For the moment, my plan is to use slightly scaled, tinted infestors for small sandworms, and nydus worms for large ones, but I haven't decided on the correct mechanics. Emperor: Battle For Dune is my made inspiration for this map, but I'm also planning to stick closer to the books. It should work out well overall. I've got some ideas for the factions, which I'm pretty confident about, but I plan to get sandworms done first.

EDIT: Decided to start working on harvesters and carryalls. My goal is to have carryalls be automated but destructible, though certainly rebuildable. Can't seem to make it work, though. I set up a trigger to pick all of a player's carryalls when a gather or return order is executed by a harvester, and have idle ones pick it up. I'll probably also filter it so it just grabs the closest one, but atm none respond.

Second, I want harvesters to collect multiple deposits before returning to the base, but the resource system doesn't seem to work that way. I also don't seem to be able to make harvesters buildable.

I'll upload the current version to mediafire soon, since it's a non-functional version, while all the ones I post in the main post here will always be functional.

EDIT2: Now the carryalls pick up my harvesters when the harvester is ordered to go gather, but only when the player does it. Also, the carryall doesn't bother going and unloading the harvester. I've got some ideas, but its coming along.

Last edited:
Level 9
It's a good thing you're going for the Ixians and the Bene Gesserit and all those (Face-dancers will be amazing), because they were the real big factions; whoever said that they were lesser or minor factions doesn't know shite about this series...

Well, going to try out this map soon, hope it turns out well when you complete it, mate.

Well the thing about Dune is that they're all basically humans, no matter what their allegience. My races will be made taking this into account.

In my current version, which I won't upload yet because it's still non-functional, I've got harvesters working and have almost finished carryalls. Still a bit buggy, since they seem to interfere with eachother, but I'll get that ironed out soon enough and upload what I've got.

Last edited: