1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Discussion] The Solar Empires - A C# XNA Game

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Crazed_seal2, May 16, 2013.

1. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Solar Imperium - XNA C# Game with Editor

Hello guys.

I've been developing a little game for a bit now. I'm not making any promises, but heres what I've got so far.

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game is either going to be turned based, or some sort of date system. You control one of the empires, you have quite a lot of control. I'm hoping to add some things such as politics and stuff.

It's pretty early development.

No promises, just looking for feedback.

Most of the art was made by me in paint. UI has CnP'd stuff.

If I ever release it. its going to be free.

It's for the Windows platform only. XNA/Windows Forms does that.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like how it looks. Could be a fun game. Try porting it on browsers too.

3. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A small little update.

I added a "algorithm" that makes sure all planets are connected to the first planet generated, ("The Origin Planet"). This is to make sure all planets are able to be reached.

Some basic work on a "World Editor". As seen in the Eighth Screenshot. It's pretty basic.

Some minor UI changes.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Let me get it right... It is using 150 MB just for that?! You are aware that current generation games like those on the PS3/Xbox360 only have 512 MB of memory in total.

What is using so much memory?

5. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Inefficient coding by me. It's not much of game but the Textures that seem to be loading into the memory.

Just a note, I have began recoding a lot of the stuff. Some things just won't work together :(

So i've been set back a bit. Trying to implement some of the old stuff with new stuff.

Lesson Learnt: Windows Forms and XNA games don't mix.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Added a screenshot of the editor so far.

I'll add another very soon.

7. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You should make a 512*512 texture map that includes every planet's texture.

8. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've been working on some sort of trigger system. Not going well :(

There isn't that many textures.
    5 for each planet type...

Planet types also do things... Such as population growth and other things yet to be done.

I also stress, I am not a graphics artist. The game is going to look like it was made in paint, which it was.

Another thing.

- Completed camera movement for the editor.
    - Able to delete planets.
    - Some sort of main menu is done. Gotta redo some things.

Also the game was renamed...

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Get GIMP. It might not be as good as professional programs like Photoshop or Paintshop but it is infinity better than Paint.

Depends if he wants them to be vectors or bitmaps. Vectors would be stored in vertex buffers while bitmaps in pixel buffers.

10. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What on Earth are you talking about...there is literally zero relevance to VBOs and PBOs and using a texture atlas...

As to the editor - games of this type usually create the galaxies procedurally, not manually.

You should be able to move from any planet to any planet. A way to make people not want to do this (unless they have upgrades etc.) is fuel supplies, but you shouldn't force someone to take a specific path.

The only way to get to those ridiculous memory outputs is by loading your images every time you draw them. Don't ever do that. Load once and use multiple times.

11. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

My plan was making the game able to generate it's own galaxy.

I was/am going to make the ability to move to any planet, just the player needs an upgrade and is limited to a certain range. Linked planets 'trade' with each other, influence each other, immigration from one planet to another.

Early screenshots are outdated, the game doesnt use that much memory. It's lowered by about 70%.

Each planet type has it's array of "images" and the planet has an integer which determines which image from the array it draws.

Code (vJASS):
    spriteBatch.Draw(Arid[planet.planetTexture], new Rectangle(planet.Rect.X - View.X, planet.Rect.Y - View.Y, 32, 32), Color.White);

"Arid" being an image array with all the arid planet images loaded into it, and then the game runs a loop through all the planets and draws them where the view is, and it also checks whether or not the planet is actually in the view rect.

I'm not sure about vector graphics, but i'm using bitmap type images (png).

12. Kanadaj

Kanadaj

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    EDIT: Nvm, tested it and I don't know what the problem is