• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] The Solar Empires - A C# XNA Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Solar Imperium - XNA C# Game with Editor

Hello guys.

I've been developing a little game for a bit now. I'm not making any promises, but heres what I've got so far.

qzW0XCl.jpg

fX28jeI.jpg

ineyOud.jpg

zVaSQhG.jpg

iC6dnPe.jpg

lCz0I4L.jpg

izNDEzq.jpg

s3eAjiZ.jpg

fJlr9N8.jpg

bKnhFRt.png

r0P1QN4.png

evgyPwL.png

The game is either going to be turned based, or some sort of date system. You control one of the empires, you have quite a lot of control. I'm hoping to add some things such as politics and stuff.

It's pretty early development.

No promises, just looking for feedback.

Most of the art was made by me in paint. UI has CnP'd stuff.

If I ever release it. its going to be free.

It's for the Windows platform only. XNA/Windows Forms does that.

Last edited:
Level 14
A small little update.

I added a "algorithm" that makes sure all planets are connected to the first planet generated, ("The Origin Planet"). This is to make sure all planets are able to be reached.

Some basic work on a "World Editor". As seen in the Eighth Screenshot. It's pretty basic.

Some minor UI changes.

Level 14
Inefficient coding by me. It's not much of game but the Textures that seem to be loading into the memory.

Just a note, I have began recoding a lot of the stuff. Some things just won't work together :(

So i've been set back a bit. Trying to implement some of the old stuff with new stuff.

Lesson Learnt: Windows Forms and XNA games don't mix.

Last edited:
Level 14
I've been working on some sort of trigger system. Not going well :(

There isn't that many textures.
5 for each planet type...

Planet types also do things... Such as population growth and other things yet to be done.

I also stress, I am not a graphics artist. The game is going to look like it was made in paint, which it was.

Another thing.

- Completed camera movement for the editor.
- Able to delete planets.
- Some sort of main menu is done. Gotta redo some things.

Also the game was renamed...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The game is going to look like it was made in paint, which it was.
Get GIMP. It might not be as good as professional programs like Photoshop or Paintshop but it is infinity better than Paint.

You should make a 512*512 texture map that includes every planet's texture.
Depends if he wants them to be vectors or bitmaps. Vectors would be stored in vertex buffers while bitmaps in pixel buffers.

Level 29
Depends if he wants them to be vectors or bitmaps. Vectors would be stored in vertex buffers while bitmaps in pixel buffers.

What on Earth are you talking about...there is literally zero relevance to VBOs and PBOs and using a texture atlas...

As to the editor - games of this type usually create the galaxies procedurally, not manually.

You should be able to move from any planet to any planet. A way to make people not want to do this (unless they have upgrades etc.) is fuel supplies, but you shouldn't force someone to take a specific path.

The only way to get to those ridiculous memory outputs is by loading your images every time you draw them. Don't ever do that. Load once and use multiple times.

Level 14
What on Earth are you talking about...there is literally zero relevance to VBOs and PBOs and using a texture atlas...

As to the editor - games of this type usually create the galaxies procedurally, not manually.

You should be able to move from any planet to any planet. A way to make people not want to do this (unless they have upgrades etc.) is fuel supplies, but you shouldn't force someone to take a specific path.

The only way to get to those ridiculous memory outputs is by loading your images every time you draw them. Don't ever do that. Load once and use multiple times.

My plan was making the game able to generate it's own galaxy.

I was/am going to make the ability to move to any planet, just the player needs an upgrade and is limited to a certain range. Linked planets 'trade' with each other, influence each other, immigration from one planet to another.

Early screenshots are outdated, the game doesnt use that much memory. It's lowered by about 70%.

Each planet type has it's array of "images" and the planet has an integer which determines which image from the array it draws.

JASS:
spriteBatch.Draw(Arid[planet.planetTexture], new Rectangle(planet.Rect.X - View.X, planet.Rect.Y - View.Y, 32, 32), Color.White);

"Arid" being an image array with all the arid planet images loaded into it, and then the game runs a loop through all the planets and draws them where the view is, and it also checks whether or not the planet is actually in the view rect.

I'm not sure about vector graphics, but i'm using bitmap type images (png).

Status
Not open for further replies.