• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Sanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I know it might look a bit amateurish, but this is my first time mapmaking in a couple of years. It's a very simple valley/mountain terrain. Part of a map I'm making. Do any of you have suggestions for improving it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• sanctuary_cliffs.jpg
    sanctuary_cliffs.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 233
  • sanctuary_dock.jpg
    sanctuary_dock.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 197
  • sanctuary_path.jpg
    sanctuary_path.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 182
  • sanctuary_rockside.jpg
    sanctuary_rockside.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 180
  • sanctuary_sky.jpg
    sanctuary_sky.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 175
  • sanctuary_snapshot.jpg
    sanctuary_snapshot.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 151
Ok, good try, but I need to mention some stuff, you might want to keep in mind
[•] Use fog, Map Options -> Use Terrain Fog. It gives a better look and it provides the 'atmosphere'. This is a basic tool to achieve actual aesthetics in your map.
[•] Some of the rocks on the first pic are a bit "off". I mean, gravity-wise, they would be most likely unable of standing like that on such an abrupt tilt.
[•] These trees look cute (the custom ones), but not enough for a terrain to be called "nice!". However, I can't really tell I'm really bothered by them. You of course need to take out the Blizzard basic trees, though.
[•] The water that accompanies the tileset is way too unrealistic; use Northrend's water instead (this means that you need to change the base tileset) or Dalaran's.
[•] It lacks details, actually. You need to place more bushes and change the grass tile to something more appealing. This scenery is currently too Warcraft. Good terrains that use only Warcraft III default resources are very rare. It also lacks the weather: Snow (Blizzard). Also, add a couple of Torches in the entrance of that small island and change the time of day to 18.00+.

Level 4
[•] Some of the rocks on the first pic are a bit "off". I mean, gravity-wise, they would be most likely unable of standing like that on such an abrupt tilt.

Well not only the first pic , this can be seen on every pic except the 5th

Level 13
First, use that godlike WaterfallFX model (named as Waterfall (2) in utm).
Second, Find new SNOWY rock, those brown and dark rocks ruins whole feeling of this place.
Third, add fog. I suggest very lightblue fog so you get that cold feeling.

But yes, with some changes it will be good.

I suggest also you to change that water to "Waterplane"-model. It's named as "Water" in utm.

Level 6

Would lowering (pg dwn) fix this problem or should I use entirely different rocks? It isn't really noticeable on a regular game view, but I'll change it anyway.
[•] These trees look cute (the custom ones), but not enough for a terrain to be called "nice!". However, I can't really tell I'm really bothered by them. You of course need to take out the Blizzard basic trees, though.
What's your problem with the custom trees? You say they're cute but then go on to say you're bothered by them?
And for the basic blizzard ones, I did that to fill up the island a bit. It looked empty before and unnatural (barren). The custom trees took up too much room and overlapped on each other since the space on the island is small. What do you suggest I do in order to give the island a "fuller" look?

][•] It lacks details, actually. You need to place more bushes and change the grass tile to something more appealing. This scenery is currently too Warcraft. Good terrains that use only Warcraft III default resources are very rare. It also lacks the weather: Snow (Blizzard). Also, add a couple of Torches in the entrance of that small island and change the time of day to 18.00+.
What grass tile do you recommend? I chose the pale green one since it looked more like tundra grass (trying to make an arid mountain valley). The default warcaft foliage, besides the ones pictured, didn't really fit well with the arid mountain scene I was going for. Do you have any recommendations for custom ones?
And the reason why I'm reluctant to use snow is because it tends to lag (a lot) when playing online. I decided not to use snow weather in order for it to run efficiently online.

Piwlady said:
First, use that godlike WaterfallFX model (named as Waterfall (2) in utm).

Meh, that waterfall just seems to thin for a mountain waterfall to me. But if you recommend it, I'll try it to see what it looks like. Should I just stack a couple on top of each other?

not bad but i dont think that statue fits with the terrain. said:
not bad but i dont think that statue fits with the terrain.

What statue would be better then? The custom statues I've seen on here wouldn't fit well with an outdoor setting in my opinion. Do you have a better recommendation?

Thanks everybody for their personal critique! I really appreciate the feedback.

You of course need to take out the Blizzard basic trees, though.
Soviet.Kazak said:
You say they're cute but then go on to say you're bothered by them?
As you can see, I spoke of the Blizzard trees, not the custom ones :) I said that the custom ones are cute. Try adding more of these custom ones, because Blizzard ones are a) overused and b) ugly.

What grass tile do you recommend?
Well, I'd prefer the Dalaran's Ruins Grass or the Felwood's Grass (I'd probably go for both), but it's up to you of course.

Level 13
What's your problem with the custom trees? You say they're cute but then go on to say you're bothered by them?
And for the basic blizzard ones, I did that to fill up the island a bit. It looked empty before and unnatural (barren). The custom trees took up too much room and overlapped on each other since the space on the island is small. What do you suggest I do in order to give the island a "fuller" look?

Use custom trees... you can re scale 'em you know. And of course you could add some ruins ( do not even think about sunken ruins doodads ), small rocks, and stuff.

Meh, that waterfall just seems to thin for a mountain waterfall to me. But if you recommend it, I'll try it to see what it looks like. Should I just stack a couple on top of each other?

Thin? *Sigh* Not at all, you can add plenty of them (diffrent hue ones ) one on the other. So you can make it thick enough.

What statue would be better then? The custom statues I've seen on here wouldn't fit well with an outdoor setting in my opinion. Do you have a better recommendation?

I suggest you to use Statue: Guardian from UTM. Then make your own pedestal. I suggest you to use Archway: Cityscape Door and Wall: QuelThalas (1) doodads from UTM. And then add some rocks to give bit natural and acient feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.