• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Notifications Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Is incredibly annoying, and is the kind of thing users would be banned for doing if they could do it. Could that please be reflected in its use?

I'd prefer if it didn't exist at all, but since that's likely not going to fly with you guys could we at least have an option to turn it off, preferably on the bar itself next time it pops up? Also, could it be disable for guest browsing?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I find it useful to divulge notices about contests. The message can be dismissed by simply pressing the
cross.png
button.
I stand indifferent towards a proposal to turn it off for individual users. Meanwhile, however, it should not be globally disabled.

Level 5
It is useful and should stay, however:
  • It should be disabled for guests.
  • There should be an option to disable it for users in their user profile.
  • There should only be a maximum of 1 notification at a time. Overlap really is ugly and takes up a lot of screen space depending on the font size. (A lot for recent notifications)

Level 40
I find it useful to divulge notices about contests. The message can be dismissed by simply pressing the
cross.png
button.
I stand indifferent towards a proposal to turn it off for individual users. Meanwhile, however, it should not be globally disabled.
I realize that it can be closed. However,

• Not everyone cares about any of the notices, so why not let them just turn it off? It's annoying to have to close it every few days.
  • Guests don't really care seeing as they can't participate in contests and usually don't read the forum unless they are already a registered member.

I like it. It saves a Lot of time, that I would have to spend going through multiple threads to catch up on stuff.
But the following points, I can agre with

It is useful and should stay, however:
  • It should be disabled for guests.
  • There should be an option to disable it for users in their user profile.
  • There should only be a maximum of 1 notification at a time. Overlap really is ugly and takes up a lot of screen space depending on the font size. (A lot for recent notifications)

Level 9
The notification bar is very overdone. The fontsize is HUGE and the padding is excessive, i find myself closing them each time they pop up and in my eyes it injures the aesthetics of the site. Please add an option to turn it off.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Disable it for guests.
Users can destroy notifications by hitting the X on them. Honestly it is useful and the announcements should not be disableable (but only 1 should be viweable at a time).

After you have read one, just hit the X and its gone for good. It garuntees people will read it.

Level 5
Guaranteeing something be read by annoying users with it isn't a good way to do things. You don't want things like contests becoming an annoyance, that defeats the purpose. There definitely needs to be a disable button; some people just don't care about contests and the sorts of things this is being used to advertise.

Level 5
News is also posted on the front page, which is a lot more noticeable than the notifications and also a lot less annoying.

Miz

Miz

Level 3
Ghan occasionally does post a notice on TH, I think its useful and shouldn't be disabled. (Its useful for hit and run visits) However, I think you should consider people to have a right to limit the notices.

Maybe make an option where they can limit to see only an n amount of announcement(s) at a time if you really want them not to be able to disable it.

I also think the padding is a little bit extreme, you could probably tone it down a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.