• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The name of the Bishop class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
So, given that the bishop class in Gaias is an individual who travels around like a low ranking/free person just like any other character class I always felt the name was kinda unfitting. The word bishop relates to a mid- to high ranking member of the church (catholic, protestant, orthodox) who leads a part of the community at an institutional level - hardly a person to wander around on his own in the wilderness.

I suggest either changing the name to one of two things: Zealot (cool name, has a radical cling to it), or Abbot (neutral, but perhaps kinda bland).

It seems to me that this change makes sense for consistency and etymological reasons. The bishop name is kinda like what the class name 'Prince' or 'Lord' would sound like - a person of institutional power, not exactly an adventurer.
And please don't tell me it's a stretch to suggest this. Even small details make a difference. :)

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Well, in a medieval (fantasy) setting certainly not alone. Also, like I said, it sounds more like a person who would have many institutionalized duties to attend to, and hardly an adventurer. A bishop would be a person who has people below him to do the footwork. That's why Zealot sounds better. It also fits with the smiting style of the class. A zealot can basically be anyone who believes and believes very strongly. A bishop on the other hand is bound to specific duties. You wouldn't want a class called "Guard" or "High councellor" either. Unless a class actually have such elements added to it (which, for gameplay reasons wouldn't make any sense at all) it simply does not fit the gameplay.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I think Bishop is fine, seeing as his magic is based off divine power.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

No I didn't, it's just not a good point.

Bishop fits thematically, since the class heals and smites using holy power. Bishop implies that he has some divine connection, which is why he can use his power. A zealot does not - and a zealot is usually a bad thing anyways, not something you want your holy/healer class to be.

Being a bishop doesn't mean you have to sit in the church all day. Maybe the church asked them to help the adventurers by healing them on their mission to save the world or something.

Bishop is a good name, no need to change it..

Level 8
It's the size that cunts.
oDCkh.gif

Level 13
Bishop among pretty much every other class name in Gaias is an old, respected RPG staple. It's the best choice by far for a religious support/caster at tier 2.

Priest is a good option but I love the sense of ranking that comes with the word Bishop. It's an esteemed title. Missionary is another word that springs to mind but I feel the title or purpose of a missionary can be applied to the Cleric and Bishop classes for their travels without changing the name of either.

Zealot is a great title but I'm with Zwieb on that. There is a sense of aggression that matches each of Zealot, Inquisitor and Vindicator. Same with Crusader, oddly enough but we certainly don't need to abuse the title of Paladin any further.

so yeah, big cleric

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Good point Vestra. Priest is the easy choice and not in a good way. The aggressive theme of the other names is more a question of taste. Personally, I wouldn't mind a name with more punch as I find fanaticism serving 'good' kinda interesting.
I still don't care for the Bishop name though :-D

Level 3
May be we can have the Guild master saying thing like "As Bishop, you will have to settle down at a cathedral, take care of your herd and quit adventuring. Or that was supposed to be, but with the current state of the world, there is no cathedral left for you. You are free while waiting for your cathedral, but I suggest that you actively do something about it."
And so, the wandering Cleric from the north return to his adventure as the Wandering Bishop. Class name: Wandering Bishop.

Level 9
Question: why is the Squire named Squire although he clearly has no knight to follow around? Why is the Crusader a Crusader even though there is no crusade going on?

The answer is simple: A wizard did it.

So lets rename Squire to Mail Dude and Crusader to Clever But Not As Clever As Hexblade Mail Dude! ^_^

Edit: Also Bishop can be called Pedopope.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Question: why is the Squire named Squire although he clearly has no knight to follow around? Why is the Crusader a Crusader even though there is no crusade going on?

The answer is simple: A wizard did it.

I know you are all making a joke of this thread, but this thing about the squire isn't the same as Bishop at all. Anyone can be a squire, a squire can be send by his superior to do some duties. Bishops on the other hand, aren't some common individual and not someone existing in countless numbers -how can every player be/have a bishop then? Doesn't make sense. You as a German should know this better than me Zwieb :-D

Level 9
I know you are all making a joke of this thread, but this thing about the squire isn't the same as Bishop at all. Anyone can be a squire, a squire can be send by his superior to do some duties. Bishops on the other hand, aren't some common individual and not someone existing in countless numbers -how can every player be/have a bishop then? Doesn't make sense. You as a German should know this better than me Zwieb :-D

Actually no one cares. I mean it is fantasy anyway. Why do you think it must me same as in OUR reality? Why can't bishop in gaias universe be second of two ranks in church of flaros? Like you go to their HR with your CV, than you are hired as cleric and after couple years you become a bishop. And his duties can be other than our bishops'. Like running around with friends and raping some bosses instead of chorus boys (not sure how they are called in English tbh).

Level 3
He's a kid that's all there is. Now making fun of him just because; is wrong. A flame war is a flame war. this is just a random thread by jumbo and where people found another reason to mess with (Jumbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.