• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The mind of a confused map maker

Level 6
Greetings everyone!
With this post, I want to show my working method, somewhat confused, from idea to a finished map. Why I do certain things, why I still believe we can't have all maps 100% optimized for the 0.5% of players. Our artistic vein mustn't die!

Background
I used to play WarCraft III as teenager during its release to approximately 2007-2008. Yes, World of WarCraft stole it all - time, money and sanity. Raiding in the original Naxxramas and AQ40 as a paladin was nuts, but hey, tier 2 Judgement looked awesome. Later on I had a go with StarCraft II but lost interest after two years and headed back to WoW. To put it simply, I haven't made any gaming map since 2012.

IRL
I have been working with geo surveying since 2011. Now you're probably asking yourselves; what in the name of Arthas is geo survey?
I'm a measurement engineer who collects data in the field. Meaning running around with a GPS, or using a total station or flying drone(s). Roads, parks, buildings, signs, roundabouts, fences, trees et cetera. Details, details! Then I process the data, add it to different data bases and end up producing - drum roll - maps & drawings! During the years I've also made a large amount of 3D models for excavators, graders and wheel loaders. It's a fun job!

Future
If we go back to the gaming side of things, I had a break from gaming for a couple of years but returned last year after watching some streams from Grubby. And how fun good old WarCraft 3 is!
There and then I decided to refresh my old maps but ended up doing complete overhauls instead. And, finally to the point, doing new maps! Now you never have to read this again :)

(Note: all pictures have a certain delay in progress. For example, if it looks 55% complete, it's usually 70-80% on my computer)

IMPORTANT! If you're looking for the latest updates, just scroll down and check for UPDATE! and you'll find them.

UPDATE!
MAP#1 - Shortfuse
(now released, click here)
Players: 2 (melee, 1v1)
Size: 128x96 (small)
Tileset: Custom (based on Icecrown Glacier)
Inspiration: Ladder & pro gaming maps

Goblins! Industrial waste, bombs and gold. Here I'm trying to create a landscape with factories, polluted water, leaking pipes, smoke & fire & explosives - a normal environment for goblins! And I want the map to be as "ladder" friendly as possible. So no narrow paths, very little usage of doodads that may interfere with game play. As with most maps I start with player positioning and the center area. Then I add gold expansions and neutral buildings, which gives a foundation for all other details (like creeps).
Neutral buildings so far; 4x gold expansions, 1x Goblin Merchant, 1x Tavern (center), 1x Mercenary Camp and 2x Goblin Laboratories. Creep and drop balance will be done towards the end. Hopefully this map will be completed soon and released for your enjoyment!

Music to set the mood; WoW - The Motherlode

PIC 1 - Initial layout
GoblinMania_PRE01.jpg

PIC 2 - Added neutral vendors, messing about with terrain & doodads
GoblinMania_PRE02.jpg

PIC 3 - Industrial waste! Toxic water! Explosives! Now we're talking
GoblinMania_PRE03.jpg

PIC 4 - Got the outer boundries done and still want the map to have a feeling of a dungeon
GoblinMania_PRE04.jpg

PIC 5 - Most things are done! Just have some outer space left to design and find a proper balance with creeps/drops
GoblinMania_PRE05.jpg

PIC 6 - Example
GoblinMania_3D.jpg

PIC 7 - Another example
GoblinMania_3D-2.jpg

MAP#2

Players: 2 (melee, 1v1)
Size: 128x128 (medium)
Tileset: Barrens
Inspiration: TFT Horde bonus campaign (Let's go Misha), WoW The Barrens

I've always enjoyed The Barrens in WoW, roaming the plains as a Tauren warrior. So I wanted to make a map that pay tribute to that environment. Yes, the map is considered medium sized but I won't make it all approachable. Do consider it more towards 96x128 and 'small'. Neutral camps so far; 1x Tavern (center), 2x Goblin Merchants, 2x Goblin Laboratories and 6x gold expansions.
This map will remind you of Garden of Illyppos when it comes to details and beautiful surroundings, but more accessible. That's the goal at least. Probably my 2nd map to be released.

PIC 1 - Initial layout. I actually took inspiration from one of my very old WarCraft II maps. Good idea? We shall see...
BARRENS-1v1-PRE01.jpg

PIC 2 - Trying to figure out what to do. Also want to try backdoors to main base and/or expansions, which today is a common thing in the StarCraft II scene.
BARRENS-1v1-PRE02.jpg

PIC 3 - Here I'm investigating the possibility to make the map for four players. But nope, didn't like it!
BARRENS-1v1-PRE03.jpg

PIC 4 - Back to 1v1, just added a lot more surroundings and started to restrict the playable environment.
BARRENS-1v1-PRE04.jpg

PIC 5 - Example
BARRENS-1v1-3D.jpg

PIC 6 - Example, Reforged version
RF01.jpg

MAP#3

Players: 12 (melee, 3v3v3v3)
Size: 256x256 (extra large)
Tileset: Dalaran
Inspiration: Too few extra large maps & Wizard Legend (sry, but I have more ideas!)

Maybe it's due to my profession in real life that I do enjoy these cityscape tilesets, but I cannot have enough of it! This map will take time, it will be huge, it will be eye candy.
Here I started with the center, actually from an old idea I had back in 2008. Expanded on that idea, added start locations, gateways (yeah, due to the map size) and some natural barriers. I want it to be like four kingdoms fighting each other.
As stated before, this will take time. It's like making four 128x128 maps at once. Please have patience!

PIC 1 - Initial layout
DalaranMEGA-PRE01.jpg

PIC 2 - It's becoming its own castle in the middle
DalaranMEGA-PRE02.jpg

PIC 3 - Gateways! There will be a second river on the opposite side as well.
DalaranMEGA-PRE03.jpg

PIC 4 - Example
DalaranMEGA-3D.jpg

I got more maps in the line, just not ready to post anything about them yet. And new maps will have a Reforged version. ENJOY!

Last edited:
Level 5
I giggled to the idea of demons just casually drinking from the Sunwell like it's another monday for them :xxd:
Eitherway, loved the work! Can't wait to see some more of the map's close up, they're the best past in this 👁️👁️

love maps with city/village/whatever, there's enough maps of forest and open space.
still I like maps with 4 player or more, since 1vs1 can only be that, a 1vs1 map.
a 4player map can be 1vs1 2vs2 or FFA.
I made a 4player inspired on market square, but not gonna upload, people would complain the terrain and tile is too plain.
I don't like the gonne to shit tiling in original market square lol, grass fucked up with dirt everywhere and the tile broken and stuff lol.

Level 6
love maps with city/village/whatever, there's enough maps of forest and open space.
still I like maps with 4 player or more, since 1vs1 can only be that, a 1vs1 map.
a 4player map can be 1vs1 2vs2 or FFA.
I made a 4player inspired on market square, but not gonna upload, people would complain the terrain and tile is too plain.
I don't like the gonne to shit tiling in original market square lol, grass fucked up with dirt everywhere and the tile broken and stuff lol.

I do have several ideas for city-inspired maps, so just hold on. I'm gonna update Razmon as well, you gave good input! I'm also looking into the possibility to make a proper 'REFORGED' only map. Maybe... I prefer CLASSIC and always will :)

Level 6
First map decoration and theme are so crazy. It's hype me up, been a long since I have seen such a sick theme! There are lot of mistake there if we really compare it to a competitive map. You should join MMC-Discord to find more feedback.

Well, hehe, so it's still possible to make something new out of the old game. Tnx! Yes, I do like the theme a lot myself, however I would like even more goblin inspired items, units, doodads and critters.

Since you responded to Shortfuse twice, I'll adress them both here.

Why are critters needed? Sure, I could add some rats since it's a dungeon.
Red camps can be moved slightly, however I didn't get any aggro either running past them or building an expansion.
Adding more trees to start locations can be arranged.
I'm not sure what you mean with AoW? Age of Wonders? Art of War? Any other weapon? All out war?
If you're referring to 'all out war', I could remove the spots as suggested in the below picture.

So, you're basicly saying:
Aesthetic 10/10
Playability 5/10
:)

Either way, thanks for the input!

SF-FixIt.jpg