• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hive Journey - My Personal Map-Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
This will be my main Thread for any game I play or played to give my personal opinion and ideas. You'll see the Maps covered you probably already know that they're awesome, so ignore my statements if you know better.

The order of Reviews is the order in which I played the maps. Every Game will have it's own post and each post will be updated if I play farther/again in the same game. Placeholders are possible.

Since this is an experimental thread for me feel free to suggest, also about where to put this thread outside of off-topic.

Please understand that when time goes by, I need to keep things in order, so at some point I'd delete your posts. If there ever would be some kind of interest in my reviews, I'd start a discussion-thread.

Since I don't know if it is possible to close a thread for personal use only(The Right to Post) I ask you to keep it clean around here once it gets common for me to post here.

To be truthful: You can simply ignore this thread and move on. If you don't like to read others opinions this is not intended for you.

I take this action to not write the gamethreads themselves to death as i tend to write on and on like you may notice right now.

Have a nice day

Krolan
The Twisted

The Hive Jouney 1 - Sunken City

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/sunken-city-v-1-7-3-a-168086/?prev=d=list&r=20&t=55 - RPG by [spasorc]

Following the advice I got when asking where to start I downloaded this map and began to play.

Appearance:

The map is beautiful, appealing to the eye like all hell, impressive in a way that's difficult to describe. It simply feels like it was made to be part of Warcraft. Like a second RPG-Campaign beside Rexxar's.

First Experience:

I began my game alone. I first started on hard and failed horribly. In seconds the first 3 Murlocs wasted me. I restarted, this time on easy.

I began to get familiar with the mechanics. I got an Ice Lancer when I typed "-random agi" and was happy with that. I noticed that I get money as time goes by basically meaning that I could let the game run for several days and have enough money to equip me hardcore. After a while I really considered it.

The main reason this game was so hard on me is that it is intended for 2-3 players. And I understand why. You just die to quickly without equipment. I really had to keep my Orc-Grunt alive.

I managed to kill the Murlocs this time, realizing that the one with the magic attack is the one who kills me, so I killed him ASAP. The other two with their normal attacks were no problem with my light-armor. I went on and discovered a secret right away between the trees, getting an agility boost +1.

I fought through the 3 or 4 monsters in this area before the gate, realizing that they're way easier than the murlocs. So this is where I was supposed to start. Duh. I marched on with the same strategy as before, killing the magic enemys first.

But soon enough I came to another hot point. And I mean HOT as an Fire Elemental had to be killed, because I was not able to kill the Lvl 4 Murloc with his Pierce damage. I began to be really stunned by the depth of this game. Reasonable Armor and Weapon mechanics. Better than the original.

However, I constantly had to go back to the saving stone, for healing. Thanks to the Developer for not making the enemies FullHealth-by-Leave. The stone itself can teleport the hero(es) but not the Orc Grunt and I didn't have any means of healing him properly when he was low on Hit-Points. I checked his Armor and saw, that he resists Pierce, not like me. So I went, Shifted the Elementals attention to the Grund and kept myself away from it throwing my Ice Magic at him.

After that my guys went on the volcano. Without realizing it in time that this thing hurts (uhh... A volcano hurts... rain makes everything wet... I'm an idiot). So my Hero died, my Grunt escaped in time when I paniced. I gave myself 20 lives and still wonder where the lives are displayed. However I went back, discovering bookshelfs with nice lore and ancient bookcases with Attribute-Books.

Then I went and killed the Human Expedition while directly after that asking myself "Why?". Not even some nice loot or anything... still wonder why I can't just pick up that footmans sword. Oh well.

Oh look! There's something shiny... can it be? Yes, it is one of the legendary weapons, isn't it?! But it's behind a barrier... How do I open it? I don't know.... So I get back to the murlocs I can't defeat but this time I can... with Hit&Run Tactics, killing one Murloc and running to the healing Stone for my Grunt and me to heal up. I buy 5 more healing potions, just in case things get critical.

When I got past them there was another save stone and a merchant. I decided to save up and end the game and this recap.

Thoughts:

I always wonder one thing when I play RPG maps intended for multiple players working together: Why wouldn't someone insert a Single Player mechanic, simply allowing the Player to control more than one hero. It would make the game apsolutely playable for someone playing alone. I actually played on, managed to kill some demon who had a moon key. A tough fight but managable with IceArmor-IceFist-IceThrow, got the key, went back, opened the moon door... and received 50 gold... yaay. The next pack of Murlocs I just couldn't deafeat without beginning a very annoying way of playing, throwing Ice Magic at one Murloc, running away, repeat.

Are there really people playing on Insane giving themselves only one life, I wonder. And if there are, is there anyone who has done it alone?
I realize that soloing is probably easier with a strenght hero, but I still think it's nearly impossible to solo this on harder difficulties. Well, on the other hand there are many, MANY classes avaible, and maybe one is suited very good to survive on his own, who knows.

I liked that game. Will certainly try again. Probably with someone else. Anyone who isn't as lonely as I am should really play this Map with a friend or two, it'll be time well spent.

That concludes my first review. I already feel that this is not gonna be my best one, but a good point to start, isn't it?

Next up is the Campaign "Rise of the Blood Elves 2.0", which I will play through before posting a review on it, this time with a more reasonable structure.

Krolan
The Twisted

Last edited:
Level 32
Honestly, as a map reviewer, I gotta say that you should be help the new uploaders out there. Express your opinions on other maps, especially at the pending section. Not here in OT.

I'm asking a mod to move your two threads in their appropriate forums. Happy Hiving.

Level 5
Actually this thread is supposed to hold the reviews for Maps that don't need them. Stuff that is already awesome. I'd just like to have a journal for my experiences with all games, of course the ones that are pending or fresh and new I'd review on the spot. Please consider at least leaving me that first post to Edit.

Level 5
That is actually an option :) Thanks. Didn't know what the pastebin is up til now. I'll paste the first Post on "Forever" so this thread becomes obsolete. Thanks again :)

I really like the idea of writing a short pin-point reviews on the game comments and linking to the long version. It is way better this way.

Is it a problem making Forever-Pastes? In terms of server space that is, considering that the file will get huge after a while.

No, you don't have to worry about the forever option. Just use it. :)
If you want remember that you can use your profiles album to upload images for any reviews that you may do if needed(can also use pastebin for this if you want).

Be sure to look over the BB codes(the link can usually be found in the "Posting Rules" box at the bottom of the page where you can post in these forums.

Level 5
Wow Thanks :D

This will help me with the structure. *excited*

Thanks for your help :) all of you.

Almost finished "Rise of the Bloodelves". I guess I'll replay it for some screenshots, because this is a very nice feature for long reviews.

I also guess I should "Spoiler-Alert" my Reviews in case someone reads it and hasn't played yet.

Well, back to work

Krolan
The Twisted

Edit: If you want to keep track of what I'm writing http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=sy3bjm

Last edited:
Level 5
God, good luck with your Hive Journey. Now I really want to submit a well-made map in the sections for you to review.

Thanks alot :D

I eagerly await Hero's Tale to be finished or being in Beta (finished Storyline).

Now that I think about it I should at least checkout Alpha, though don't await a full review on it^^

Status
Not open for further replies.