• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The creaters & masters of RTS to join forces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Found this little tidbit over at Gamespy...

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dustin Browder, game design director for Battle for Middle-earth for Electronic Arts, will be leaving the company March 9 to join Blizzard as a senior designer.

Browder, who has been with EA since the Westwood Studios days, has worked on several RTSs, including Red Alert 2 and C&C Generals. He said he will be working out of Blizzard's Irvine office and will be answering to Rob Pardo, who has worked extensively on Blizzard's Warcraft franchise, most recently, World of Warcraft.

He has not been told what project he will be working on when he starts March 14, but he assumes it will be an RTS because of his background. Could it possibly be Warcraft IV or StarCraft 2? "I hope so," he said.

Browder said that he had heard from a friend that Blizzard was looking for some designers, so he sent in a resume. "It's hard to turn down working for the company that made World of Warcraft," he said. "I play that game several hours a day."

In regards to Battle for Middle-earth, he said he wasn't completely happy with the game. "I wanted a bit more polish, particularly in the single-player campaign," he said. "I'm not sure if anyone is ever 100 percent happy with the final product, but Battle for Middle-earth was a good game that could have been a bit better."

There have been some rumors coming out of EA that even more of a shakeup with the old Westwood team is coming. Mark Skaggs, who recently announced that a new RTS in the Red Alert universe was in the works, is said to be taking a leave of absense to spend time with his family. There is no official confirmation from EA, but how that pans out remains to be seen. We'll stay on top of it and bring you more details as they become available.

---------------------------------

For Westwood (RIP) fans such as myself, this is music to our ears...already with the announcement of Red Alert 3, the re-establishment of Westwoods former emplyees at Petroglyph games, who are now developing the very promising Star Wars RTS, Empire at War, and now this...things are sure to look up in the years ahead the the RTS-loving generation such as ourselves.
-VGsatomi

Level 4
great

these are great news indeed, perhaps a new era of games are coming forth who knows? :roll:

i by myself believe Starcraft II is at hand, see my point, RA and C&C games where all alike warfare and "modern" weaponry, starcraft should be the appropriate match to begin this new era.

btw, anyone knows whats going to be of Starcraft Gh0st?

Level 2
Nice

C&C Rules all. EA Should burn for takin down Westwood. Bleh, Generals was a okay RTS, but pales in comparison to the real CnC games. Anyway, SCII would be awesome. :)

Level 1
They've already said that World of Warcraft was going to be the last installment in the Warcraft series. Too bad, but I'd rather have Starcraft anyway. It's been SEVEN FREAKING YEARS with no news! None! =\

Level 3
Yanah_Dude said:
They've already said that World of Warcraft was going to be the last installment in the Warcraft series.
When did they say that?

Anyways this is very cool that this guy is working with Blizzard, I loved the original C&C and Red Alert.

Level 2
Diablo 3 I dont think is very big possibility. It seems to defy blizzard's "unclear line between good and evil" theme that is over suggested in WoW;however, if a warcraft/diablo union was made(as suggested in W3TFT)

Level 12
Guess I'll have to go with the usual about RTS/Blizzard developement:

Battle for Middle Earth was a good game. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty innoative for an RTS, but you still don't get the RTS feeling too much. Hopefully Blizzard will be able to develop more interactive RTS games.

Diablo III? I'm sure it's obvious, but I can already forsee a debate of how Diablo III's online play is to be scheduled.

I can't think of Warcraft with WoW, but I'll put it up simply. They won't make another one.

Who knows about Starcraft 2? Yeah, and that Starcraft: Ghost game, must've been cancelled. Like Afro would say: Starcraft 2 coming out sometime this millenium.

Westwood and EA Games? I don't want to discuss that one.

Shessh, and that Star Wars RTS... oh I'm rambeling again. Guess I'll stop here.

Level 22
Well, technically westwood is not dead, just all their former employees reformed under a new banner, Petroglyph Games. Some of the key figureheads stayed at EA, most of whice moved on or quit recently. Already the new star wars RTS has been unofficially dubbed "C&C Star Wars" by the westwood community. It looks great, but it will probably require a rediculously high end machine to play just like Generals did. We havent seen any development screenshots from RA3, but there is a rumor saying it will be 2D...there's supposedly going to be a NIntendo DS (a 2D system) port of it, so that's where the ammumption came from...
-VGsatomi

Ok being the Command & Conquer fan I am I hang around a couple other C&C forums, here is what I've heard.

#1 Westwood is almost defenently dead, only around 3 of the original employees are part of EA.

#2 C&C RA3 is gonna be running off General's Engine, but supposedly C&C TT will be released first. EA will not change the engine for any of the 3, expect having to have a 4ghz...

And from what I've heard all around, Blizzard NEVER stated WoW would be the last game in the installment.

I believe its SC2. Stop and think about it...

WoW has the Warcraft timeline tied up for a bit

Diablo, pfft don't even start that, hiring RTS modelers to make RPGs? heh.

SC2, as they said earlier, futuristic modelers for RTS games, making Futuristic RTS games, the SC fanbase is much bigger than the Warcraft and Diablo ones combined. I personally think itll be SC2 finally .

Level 7
DeadDogNoGoWoof said:
Westwood is too smalltime.
quote]

My god man, did you honestly say that?? Westwood gave birth to Command and Conquer, an indisputably awsome series of games, well at least until Red Alert 2 that is. That game kinda killed it all for me. But yeah Starcraft 2 must be coming soon, its been way too long since the Expansion came out. I hope Vexorian is right about he possibility of Diablo 3, its been far too long since I'v been tramping along as a godly sorc

Level 14
I think it could be Diablo III. Who knows? Blizzard never tell their plans. And I didn't knew Westwood is dead, RA2 was very nice. I hope this will be single player game, Warcraft IV because World of Warcraft is online only - I hate it.

Level 4
thats it

ow geez, open ur minds!

its like i said, and deathbringer got the point, bulls-eye!

there is no such possibility of DiabloIII (at least not as RTS think it!) now. If blizz is calling the RTS equip, get ready for a total bombardeer of war stories, nuclear warfare, and the best of all: no more of Russia X EUA sh!t, if blizz is on the role, the best possibility is of Starcraft 2, the perfect match; everyone's sick of these modern cold war things (although all C&C and RA games were totally great), and starcraft needing of a boost up (ghost is forgotten :( ), they just made the last patch for SC brood war, the last one, no more updates. The old RA stuff will be upgraded to a full-blow of galactical confederacys, futuristic warfare (i think it aint going to have aliens, just humans making war with each other [ humans ruling the galaxy ] see)

but if Starcraft wont be the project, guess we can wait a brand new game :lol:

Level 9
I bet that next time, when Blizzard release anoher RTS game, it will require a video card (plug-n-play monitor). So long as Blizzard will improve the way units fight w/ each other like Liquid entertainments's RTS games (Battle Realms for example - very good game even though w/o too much special effects) I am okay w/ that. :D

Level 1
Meh, I an looking forward to WCIV, simply because WoW is an MMoRPG, and I've never play Diablo, and Starcraft (Even if I did, WCIII is the only RTS that I've never quit playing).

I personally don't care whether RA3 or C&C TT will come out. I just want the old C&C's back.

What happened to Majesty II anyways? Majesty was such an awesome (and old) game. It seems that Cyberlore got broke of something...

EDIT:

Dawn of a New Age: Age of Empires III Announced for 2005 Release
January 4, 2005

Microsoft Game Studios and Ensemble Studios are proud to announce the return of the king of real-time strategy games: Age of Empires III is scheduled to ship in the second half of 2005. This will be the latest landmark release in the award-winning franchise that has sold a staggering 16 million units worldwide.

Age of Empires III will offer gamers the next level of realism, with advanced battle physics and unparalleled visual detail. The new game picks up where Age of Empires II: Age of Kings left off, placing gamers in the position of a European power determined to explore, colonize and conquer the New World. This time period features stunning scenes, from towering European cathedrals to courageous tribes of Native Americans, and spectacular combat with Industrial Age units like rifled infantry, cavalry and tall ships bristling with cannons.

Age of Empires III will once again demonstrate Ensemble Studios’ reputation for excellence and innovation in the real-time strategy (RTS) genre. The game will set a new standard for visual quality and amaze players with detail never before seen in an RTS. Age of Empires III will also excite strategy gamers with new game-play elements, including the concept of a “Home City,“ new civilizations, units, technologies and an immersive new single-player campaign that will span three generations.

For images and more information about Age of Empires III, please go to www.ensemblestudios.com.

Ensemble Studios is one of the world's premier entertainment software developers. Ensemble Studios is best known for its blockbuster Age of Empires game series. Ensemble's titles are distinguished by the highest-quality art and gameplay dynamics applied in familiar historical settings, and appeal to hard-core gamers and mass audiences. Ensemble Studios is based in Dallas, Texas.

Microsoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the Xbox® video game system, the Windows® operating system and online platforms. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse games for Windows (http://www.microsoft.com/games), including such franchises as Age of Empires®, Flight Simulator and Zoo Tycoon®; Xbox (http://www.xbox.com), including such games as Fable® and franchises as Halo®, Project Gotham Racing® and MechAssault®; and MSN® Games (http://www.games.msn.com), the official games channel for the MSN network and home to such hits as Bejeweled and Hexic™.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT!~!1`1!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Level 3
CnC was alroit but alweys managed to repeat itself over and over...
Frankly, i enjoyed Generals cos it was a change of pace, specially for my comp...

D3? WTF? Y? that would be interesting but not now...
Blizard North is Hiring b/c they r making a 3D MMORPG... if it is possible, that will be ur so called, Diablo 3,cos knowing Blizz North, ti'll be a morbid serious game...

Starcraft 2 I sey it is... Blizzard got pissed off at the last team wrking on Ghost and decided to kick them cos they were not meeting Blizzards standards...
There for, it is logical to continue the franchise through wot is most expected, the RTS community...

If Ghost Completely fails... chances r u will see Ghost in the campian for SC2 for a back up... Personally, i think it will still com out, it will be a make over though that we wont see for som time...

Anyhow... Its prolly SC2, seeing as Metzen is retiring, and Samwise for that matter I think aswell(i think guys, not sure,) They r prolly wanting to cont. to SC2 b/fore he (they) leave cos they were the writers of SC/BW... so its their creation, as with WC too...
This new guy they brought in has a thing for MASS stuff, like CnC, building thousands was pretty easy...
SC would be a Dream for him to complete, not to mention a challenge...

Level 1
Do you even know what AoE is? If you don't, you need to go back to.... um.... whatever it is that shows you all the 1337 computer games. AoE was the big spark in the RTS gaming community. AoE III seems like a challenge for Blizzard and EA.... EA says that its system for C&C Generals was revolutionary.... apperantly they haven't seen AoE III. Graphics better than any of EA Games' games...

Level 3
Its time u learn that Graphics isnt every thing...
Infact, AoE 2 (yes, i own the whole Damned Series and evev know the Company, cos i LIVE RIGHT BY THEM AND I AM GOING TO THEIR SKOOL) had great graphic rlly, it was realistic and nicely done. Innovative, true, had som nice add ons, but oh man, Game Play is the true issue... What made SC so Bad Ass? Cos it could giv u a Orgy when u plyed it...
AoE, im sry, ... it seemed Dull som times... Stale...
And now, with this New Graphic Engine, ur comp is gonna suck for air and ur army size is gonna be pretty damned small... Ur pop cap is gonna be pretty low, a limit of 75 i'd bet like in AoE 2, which was so boring.
Maybe u should look into Empire Earth 2, that game i believe might give ur AoE 3 a run for its money...
I hav seen the 3rd installment... i dono if u were tlking to me on ur last post... but i know wot i am tlking about...

"History can be great, only if u can Change it."

Status
Not open for further replies.