• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Concept

Level 3
Personally, I have ambitions for this project. The idea is to make several maps – or a campaign, if you will – telling the story about what I’d like to call the Traitor Legion. From their, and others, point of view, but mainly focusing on them. I think of the ‘Legion as Warcraft’s answer to a military special forces, and there’s basically the concept.

But, before starting on any such maps, we will try ourselves with a “prototype”; a prologue to the stories themselves. This prologue will vaguely present the world the story is set in, and make way for the story and the main cast, as any other prologue would.

The Prologue is two maps telling Raynard’s story, and possibly a bonus-map telling Raynard’s main enemy’s story. We will add some collectibles as well, which you can use to buy special abilities, items, etc, that you normally wouldn't have. If there's a bonus map, it will be unlocked by collecting a certain amount of... Collectibles. Act 1 of the Prologue presents the player with Raynard, a misanthropic mercenary with a dubious past. He is more of an anti-hero than anything else, although mentioning “hero” in the same sentence with his name is even pushing it.

Raynard is a veteran, in his sixties, and every deed he has done has clearly left a mark on him, putting him in mental imbalance. Raynard’s sins and guilt manifest themselves as a hallucination of his best friend’s ghost – another person he killed. Raynard has lived with his insanity a while now, and knows that it’s there. He now talks with, and even is aided by, his former friend’s “ghost”.

Raynard has withdrawn from society and intends to die alone, insane and unnoticed, when along comes what could present itself as his last chance of at least some kind of redemption; a band of savage orcs with an unseated thirst for blood has torn through several villages, destroying everything in their path. Now, the city of Ethlâna seems to be next.

Somewhat reluctantly, Raynard accepts the contract, as he for once actually may do some good, too. How much of a hindrance (or help?) his insanity will be, is his main concern.

Raynard knows how to kill. He knew the battlefields, the massacres, and he trove in them. But is there any chance he could turn all his skills to do some good? Or will he fail – miserably?

Last edited:
Level 1
But, before starting on any such maps, we will try ourselves with a “prototype”; an epilogue to the stories themselves. This epilogue will vaguely present the world the story is set in, and make way for the story and the main cast, as any other epilogue would.
Again I ask you are saying epilogue or prologue? Epilogue is at the end of story & prologue is at the beginning of story. Or you are trying to say a trailer?

[...] He is more of an anti-hero than anything else, although mentioning “hero” in the same sentence with his name is even pushing it.
Anti-hero?

The story will look better with some images, if any.

Level 3
You are of course completely right, and I'm sorry. It is prologue. Normally I'd be the one correcting people, so I am a bit humiliated. Thanks for the correction, it's obvious I wasn't too concentrated when writing this.

Definition of an anti-hero:
A protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose, and the like.
Basically, the hero of the story, but not necessarily a hero by any other means. For example, Punisher of the Marvel comic is an anti-hero.

Working on the image-part. Also, main post fix'd and updated; added the part of the collectibles which will be added in the map. Again, thanks for correcting me.

Level 3
Updated here. The idea of using Raynard's mental imbalance to provide him with diverse spells and such has been abandoned, as the project has developed, and by now the idea seems like its being shoehorned in. But, I'd love to use that idea later, I like the concept of telling a person's story through more than just dialogue.