• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Clown of As'Latur

The Tales of Kaliim: Special Edition

The Clown of As'Latur

Alright, so this is the cinematic that won second place in the last cinematic contest, barely losing to Hemlock's Darkness Within, an excellent combat cinematic which I recommend.

As I'll keep my tradition of not revealing any spoilers, I'll just write a short comment of my ideas here.

Anyway, this is a map I'm quite proud of, and though I didn't win first place I still got a better reward from the contest. This very map.

What I tried to do and (I hope) have succeeded to do, is break new ice on the whole field of Warcraft 3 cinematics. The idea came from Lynch's Lost Highway I hope that this map will be just as much of an inspiration as my earlier work, if not more.

This is by no means an ordinary map, nor has anything like this ever been attempted, at least to my knowledge. This is a psychological thriller, by NO MEANS just another story cinematic.

Don't feel bad if you don't understand half of the story by the time you finish watching this. If you do understand half, then you're better than most. This cinematic is not one story, but at least three, and, to the creative viewer, possibly even more than three.

There is no strict version of the story. You chose which one to believe. You can look at all the things in the cinematic, all the merchants, the trees, inscriptions, as something random, or you can look at every last thing, from the rain, to the merchant clothing as planned and important details. It's up to you.

What I ask of you, the viewer, now is to do something you probably never did when watching a Warcraft 3 cinematic: Pay close attention and absorb as much as you can, and once the cinematic ends, reflect on it and see if you can make meaning for yourself, before asking others. As I said, there is no formula of the exact thing that happened, and chances are, what you think is right.

Before I go, just one thing I should also mention:
Make sure your in-game sound and music volume are equally tuned, preferably both being on 100%.

The Lone Panther series is back on track, and you can look forward to at the very least another part, namely the long awaited third part: Broken Belief. If everything goes according to plan I should be able to release it somewhere after mid July of 2010. After that I'll start working on the fourth installment, and possibly another special edition to the Tales of Kaliim, not directly connected to either the SotHM, TLP or CoA.

Keywords:
Clown, Kaliim, Lone, Panther, Sect, Kafana, awesome, thriller, psychological, twisted, horror, As'Latur
Contents

The Clown of As'Latur (Map)

Reviews
15:42, 31st Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: Adding rating and reviews from contest
Level 14
I can say this cinematic was really good, which gives me an idea also of how well I'm sure you will make the next part of TLP, anyway what I might think about the voices that didn't fit was that the last but one line, what the clown said seemed to be in another tone.

Off-topic: I really thought that you were inspired by the movie "IT, the clown" by Stephen King, which like this one, both are horror movies and has a clown as the "killer".

Anyway excelent cinematic!

Last edited:
Level 9
Creepy clown as it is...Nice job mate
Story 9/10 (confuses me but its 10/10)
Terrain 10/10 (all good)
Voice Acting (7/10 ..few voice actors just dont fit it)
I have a headick and coud use the priests potion or whatever xD siriusly....:D

Level 30
Another great Cinematic from CMarket! I can say it has many twist and I cant seem to catch up on the story... but what I understand in the story is like what a user says that the clown is like an image that symbolizes Gomez...like Gomez is the Clown.

STORY: 20/20 - This story has many twist that makes many user cant catch up but what you said, its not on the story but base on the understanding so I give you a perfect score!

TERRAIN: 8/10 - Based from the terrain that has been shown at the Cinematic, the terrain is once again good but its still lacking, maybe try to use custom tiles to make it more attractive.

TRIGGERS: 20/20 - Damn, you are a master in triggers! You can even make custom animations from original wc3 units like in Gomez shaking because of Nervous breakdown...

TOTAL: 48/50 = 4.8/5 = 5/5 - Again you got the same score. Another job well done for this nice cinematic!

Great cinmeatic from CMarket! Keep it up, bro! Ill be spreading REP and again give you a +REP!

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Excited to watch. Overall, how did this turned 23.05 mb? :neap:. Tooked me 12 munites to download which maked me frustrated :wthumbsdown:. Overall hoped you maked some good juicy efforts! :ogre_hurrhurr:.

:fp: ?/5 (Will be edited :spell_breaker:)