• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Annoyance of Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi, dont think I introduced myself to the HIVE, but I've been using it off and on for awhile.

I've been trying to make a new "Who's the Werewolf" map. I've just started, it took me about 3 hours of cursing and a pack cigarettes just to figure out how to randomly select a player, turn him into a wolf at night, then turn him back into a human during the day.

To keep my intrest up, I've been hopping around on terraining, triggers, making custom units, etc. During all this multi-tasking, I've come across a few questions. If you can answer any of them, well that would be nice.

1. I don't want trees to perish from being harvested. I can't make harvest attack any lower than 1, I can increase the tree HP, but the tree still dies. I made a trigger to make every destructible to regain 100% HP every 2 seconds. I'm afraid since the map is Large, with a lot of trees/destructibles, it will cause lag when its all finished. Any ideas of another way I should do this?

2. When the player that is the werewolf becomes the werewolf, I have a trigger setup that changes his alliance to enemy against all other players. This makes all his men turn against others players too. This makes it very obvious that he is the wolf if another player walks into his base and his peasants start attacking for no reason. Only way I could trigger this problem was to hide all the wolfs units while he is wolf, unhiding them when he becomes human again. Any ideas of another way I should do this?

3. I want the Town Hall to be upgraded to Keep only when every Town Hall available Upgrade (Improved Lumber Harvesting, etc.) is fully teched. I can't figure out how to do this at all. I figured this could be done without triggers, but I havn't found a way to do it in the Objects Editor.

That's it so far. Not too many questions, but then again, I try everything I can think of before I come here.

Thanks in advance.

Level 7
1. Wouldn't 150000 hp or something like that do? I seriously doubt anyone can harvest that much.
2. I'd make another player called "Werewolf". He wouldn't have a controller and would give full shared control to the werewolf player when he transforms (and would obviously be enemy to everyone else). This way no one can know who is controlling the werewolf and all other units will act normally.
3. Try Techtree - Requirements for the Keep unit in the object editor.

Level 1
1. If someone hacked away on one tree long enough. But I suppose your right, games never last that long on BNET anyway.

2. I have Brown Set as Werewolf, when the player turns, he is added to Player Group - Brown. But That adds his unit to player group Brown also. Brown is then set as enemy to players, vica-versa. Players others units still auto-attack. Maybe I need a better explanation, but I thought I did what your saying?

3. You can only add units with that, not Upgrades. :(

thanks for the tips.

Level 7
1. If a unit cuts 10 units of lumber per second, without ever going back to base, it would take more than 4 hours to cut a single 150000 hp tree. Nothing to worry about, really.
Edit: well if you really want to you can make a trigger that sets the hp of trees to their max, but not every 2 seconds but every 10-30 minutes or so.

2. This is what I had in mind:
-one free player slot that is never used, he should own the werewolf unit hidden somewhere (Unit - Hide possibly), I'll call this player "WerePlayer" in further text
-when a player converts hide his peasant or whatever is supposed to be converted
-teleport the werewolf owned by WerePlayer to the location of the peasant
-make WerePlayer give full shared unit control to the player whose peasant is converting
-make sure WerePlayer treats everyone except for the player being converted as enemy and vice-versa
In other words the Werewolf isn't owned by any human player, but rather a human player controls him through shared unit control. You do not need to change alliance of the actual player being converted, he can stay allied/neutral with everyone.

3. Well you could do it the hard way - for example make two versions of the town hall - one that can be upgraded and one that can't. Start with the one that can't. When all updates are researched then use a trigger to replace the town hall with the version that can be upgraded.
Of course it might be wise to wait for someone else's input as there might be an easier solution.

Level 4
Hi, dont think I introduced myself to the HIVE, but I've been using it off and on for awhile.

I've been trying to make a new "Who's the Werewolf" map. I've just started, it took me about 3 hours of cursing and a pack cigarettes just to figure out how to randomly select a player, turn him into a wolf at night, then turn him back into a human during the day.

Heh, I know what you mean, I re-made the same trigger over and over again for about five hours only to find that I had got it right the first time, I was just very unlucky.

For the upgrade question, create a unit called "All upgrades completed" (or something along those lines) then use triggers to create that unit when all the upgrades are finished (I'm sure you can figure this out).

Level 4
This map that you are trying to make... you realize that it will only become popular if it is better then Dark Deeds? Which is also a good place to look considering that Dark Deeds has most of the things you are talking about.

Level 9
1) 10000HP +
  • doodads resurection
    • Events
      • Destructible - A destructible within (Entire map) dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Resurrect (Dying destructible) with 10000.00 life and Hide birth animation
no visible death animation, but the death sound will still play (every 10000HP...)
(you may have to add a destructible-type comparison if you use other ones)

you realize that it will only become popular
Do you realize that the map makers do not only think about popularity?
what the aim of this answer? make him stop working on his map?
(PS: very funny from someone who make a castle siege/defense)

Last edited:
Level 7
> Destructible - A destructible within (Entire map) dies
This only works for the first 64 destructible the function picks. The limit can be bypassed using Jass, but I'm pretty sure there is a good reason for it to exist - every tree would have to be added as a separate event (that's what this "generic" function does actually) which can't be good when there's a large number at stake, especially considering it's not really an important thing to have around.

Level 12
With max health, you should never have to worry about having the trees ut down. That type of crap only happens on hour long Vampirism games. More then hour long really, more like three hour long vampirism games. Just leave it, and so if they do finally cut a tree down, it can be a testament to how strong their base is, how powerful their grasp over nature is, and how suckish their life is.

Level 5

To keep my intrest up, I've been hopping around on terraining, triggers, making custom units, etc. During all this multi-tasking, I've come across a few questions. If you can answer any of them, well that would be nice.

1. I don't want trees to perish from being harvested. I can't make harvest attack any lower than 1, I can increase the tree HP, but the tree still dies. I made a trigger to make every destructible to regain 100% HP every 2 seconds. I'm afraid since the map is Large, with a lot of trees/destructibles, it will cause lag when its all finished. Any ideas of another way I should do this?

2. When the player that is the werewolf becomes the werewolf, I have a trigger setup that changes his alliance to enemy against all other players. This makes all his men turn against others players too. This makes it very obvious that he is the wolf if another player walks into his base and his peasants start attacking for no reason. Only way I could trigger this problem was to hide all the wolfs units while he is wolf, unhiding them when he becomes human again. Any ideas of another way I should do this?

3. I want the Town Hall to be upgraded to Keep only when every Town Hall available Upgrade (Improved Lumber Harvesting, etc.) is fully teched. I can't figure out how to do this at all. I figured this could be done without triggers, but I havn't found a way to do it in the Objects Editor.

That's it so far. Not too many questions, but then again, I try everything I can think of before I come here.

Thanks in advance.

1. A trigger that activates when a destructible (tree) is attacked and results in healing it for 1 hit point would work nice, and wouldn't lag up your map.

2. Have the werewolf itself owned by an entirely different player that simply gives full unit control to whichever player you want to "be the werewolf".

3. It can be done without triggers, you just have to have a lot of requirements for it to be built/upgraded to. Just remember to use appropriate integer values if some of your upgrades have more than one level associated with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.