• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

(the) 100 Year War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as I often do when I'm bored, I wondered what I could do for a map with lots of bang and not too much thinking in it - just playing for fun. So I came up with this idea:

Basic Ideas
  1. At the start, players choose their side; Communist or Capitalist. They each have an aura, but there isn't much difference - only a few units.
  2. The basic unit in this game is a plasma-weaponry equipped soldier, which is the normal technology for the time.
  3. 'Older' technology units can be acquired, for example Space Troopers have machine guns, which are effective against weak soldiers, but nothing else, however they're excellent tanks for a bit.
  4. The first idea I had was an RTS, but now I think it'd be better if it was an RPG or RPG-RTS hybrid - sort of like Spellforce, except not as developed.
  5. At the moment, I have it so that Capitalist at first brings you only extra speed and Communist extra damage, but later on - I'm planning - you can get different spells or weaponry/upgrades.
  6. The terrain of the map would be half nice, hilly forest, the sleepy sort, and half torn up battlefield. Read the story for that :)

Story
(this is just made up on the 'spot')

When, in 2000, a powerful group known only as 'the Communists' emerged in North America, the world was in upheaval.
They cut off communications, supplies and everything else needed to survive - it seemed they wanted to be the only ones left alive. However, to everyone's surprise, the near same happened in Central Eurasia.
An equally powerful group, known as 'the Capitalists' emerged there, with a seemingly unlimited access to money. They took over first Asia, then Europe, crushing any army that opposed them, and it was not rare to have armies join them.
It seemed that the world had been torn up, however Australia and the rest of Oceania still functioned in a joined Government, declaring themselves neutral in any case.
Then came the time that the two most powerful groups of the world clashed. It had come the time that they had captured the entire continents of North and South America and Europe. So they looked to each other for more land. It seemed they would stop at nothing to rule the world.
The two met in France, the Communists defending and the Capitalists attacking. The 100 year war had begun.
A hundred years later, and war is still raging. It is everywhere, with the exception of Oceania. Huge parts of countries have been completely torn up by artillery fire, however, to everyone's surprise, no one had even dared touch a nuclear missile.
You are a group of mercenaries. You fight for whoever pays, your men are the best, better than the Elite of either group. In the war-torn province of Hessen, in central Germany, there are several major objectives for both sides. Take control and wipe others out, become a general of the Communists or Capitalists and destroy all in your path.

(screen shot of forest attached)

Basically, I need ideas. I'm completely and utterly dried out. I have a basic concept, and quite a few ideas for terrain, however I have no idea what to put in for objectives, special things etc. All I know is that the combat system will NOT include fancy attacking, but standard WC3 fighting.
Please help :)

~Belgarath/Jack-Shepherd

Attachments

• 100Yr War.jpg
    100Yr War.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 127
Level 10
Yeah, the 100 year war is also a war in the berserk anime (which when I read the title I was really hoping that was what this map would be about) which took alot of inspiration from that era in history. Having the conflict take place in france I guess that you're kind of recreating the 100 year war in a modern setting tho.

One of the biggest problems with these modern warfare ideas (well the one that gets me the most) is the lack of modern models. I'd hate to see another map using marines or dwarven riflemen, and as far as I've seen the quality of most other custom made modern soldiers is rather low... so to visually create a modern environment in warcraft is going to be a bit of a struggle. Do you have models and doodads already to suit what you want to achieve?

As far as objectives go, im sure googling anything warfare related will provide you with ideas. Things like strikes on weapon depo's, guarding facilities, taking out supply transports and assasinations would fit the bill.

The number one special addition this map should feature is a save load code with some sort of ranking system. Higher ranks should benefit the player to start with additional equipment each game, as well as things like personal transports... and if you want to stick to the mould then ofcourse a wider class choice.

Last edited:
I never thought about the 100 year war in the middle ages :O. I'll think about some other name. I've decided that your 'party' (per player) would be of up to 12 soldiers, each being quite a bit stronger than the normal creeps. 1 being a hero. I have a few models, ATM I'm using GF's soldier one as the normal Plasma-weaponry soldiers, with a darker tint one as Captains. Space troopers, which are only ever strong against start units and are basically behind on equipment, however good tanking are using the marine model. Doodads and models isn't going to be much trouble, I've thought of a few resources.
I'm going to be recreating the map, since ATM it's 128x128, so I'm going to make it 256x256. At the start, players will decide if they want to join Communist or Capitalist factions. Then, there will be missions that are simply against rebels and those that are Defend for one faction and Attack for the other. They'll be the type where you'll have to use thinking. Save/load is going to be compulsory, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.