1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining question: mountain precipice

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Melth, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Melth

Melth

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In part of an RPG, I would like one area to be an overlook above a precipice on a mountainside.

The terrain doesn't need to be functional or make sense beyond a sight range of 1600 from the overlook since beyond that it will be concealed in fog of war.

The trouble is that even after setting the initial cliff level of the overlook to be as high as possible, I still hit the minimum terrain height before the precipice is big enough to drop all the way out of sight.

Can anyone recommend a good approach here?

2. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't fully understand the question, but if the problem is that you get to the minimum terrain height, then maybe you could just raise the default terrain level of the entire map so it can go lower?

3. Melth

Melth

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sorry if I didn't explain that well. The problem is indeed the minimum terrain height. However I have already raised the default terrain level of the map as high as I can. I still hit the minimum terrain height before I reach what will be hidden by fog of war.

I could perhaps try using a bunch of vision blockers just before I hit the minimum terrain height, but that sounds clunky and inelegant to me, so I wanted to check whether there's a better way.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    uhh that sounds weird, what exactly where you making again? Or can you give a screenshot to show what you're trying to do?

I don't get this part in particular (and you mentioned 1600 sight range as well in the initial post).

5. Melth

Melth

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    1600 just happens to be the sight range of the unit type with the longest vision in this RPG.

I've done a crude mockup of what I want the area to look like (I don't actually plan on using blizzard cliffs and whatnot, this is just to show the idea):

Precipice Pic 1.png

This unit has average vision range for this game. He can't see to the bottom of the cliff, so it looks alright.

Precipice Pic 2.png

This guy though has much larger vision range. When he stands in the same place, the player can see that the cliff suddenly flattens out. That's bad because story-wise the cliff is supposed to continue steeply down.

6. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    wasn't there like a MiscData.txt tweak for unlimited raise and lower

7. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah I see, assuming that you still want the cliff to be steep rather than a (very long) slope, I don't think you could ever get it past 1600, that's just way too far away. The mountain would have to be insanely high.

However, what I think you could do is to use some fog and/or texture on the ground. Like for example, if you take a look at the 'outland' terrain textures you'll find the black "abyss" texture that's meant to look like black empty space.

And there's custom textures like this: Outland_Abyss.blp (I just searched for "transparent terrain" in the resource section) that you could use.

So with a texture, some fog or something, and some doodads to cover up the rough edges, making a hole which you can't see the bottom of shouldn't be too hard.

8. Hermit

Hermit

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Maybe you could try placing line of sight blockers on the cliff level where you want the vision to end.

9. Lake

Lake

Resources:
    Resources:
    I did something similar for my own map. Used a stone model, made quite big and all black, and used the smoke effect to smooth out the edges. It works quite well. Only problem is the actual smoke effect, but I think a simple custom model could fix this problem. Here are some screenshots:

upload_2019-1-31_17-31-45.png

Also used it for caves

upload_2019-1-31_17-32-51.png

And I'm thinking for my own map, thatI want to do something similiar as you (looking over a mountain ish). But I'm thinking to use some sort of intense fog effect instead.

Attached Files: