• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Terraining - Couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I just returned to Wc3 after a few years only using the Sc2 editor, and I'm having some trouble transitioning. I have a few questions I'd like to have ansvered.

• Can I "snap" doodads to the grid? In sc2 you can hold ctrl, and the doodad will snap to the grid, even if it has no footprint. I fint it hard to allign stuff like walls when they have no footprint.
  • Can I set a fixed height for a doodad, making it ignore the terrain height?
  • Any way to make a doodad ignore it's footprint, allowing me to place it anywhere (without removing the footprint in the editor).
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Level 39
Page Up/Down (maybe with ctrl modifier don’t remember) allows you to elevate doodads. If you copy and paste an elevated one I think it will retain that height but you will still have to adjust for differences in the terrain below it.

If there aren’t too many of them you could make them in a trigger with special effects instead. The sfx set z function currently ignores terrain height. I would place collisonless units in the map as markers, then loop through them on map init and replace them with sfx.

Level 28
^^ For the footprint, press shift while placing the doodad. However, you won't be able to place more than one at the exact same point if they have a footprint, they have to be offset by at least one small tile (so for a 2x2 doodad, you can have up to 8 doodads overlapping with the central one for a 4x4 footprint).

Level 2
Page Up/Down (maybe with ctrl modifier don’t remember) allows you to elevate doodads. If you copy and paste an elevated one I think it will retain that height but you will still have to adjust for differences in the terrain below it.

If there aren’t too many of them you could make them in a trigger with special effects instead. The sfx set z function currently ignores terrain height. I would place collisonless units in the map as markers, then loop through them on map init and replace them with sfx.
When I raise a doodad with PgUp, and then move it, it resets to it's default height. Am I missing some checkmark somewhere in my settings?

Anyway I'll have the trigger option in mind.
^^ For the footprint, press shift while placing the doodad. However, you won't be able to place more than one at the exact same point if they have a footprint, they have to be offset by at least one small tile (so for a 2x2 doodad, you can have up to 8 doodads overlapping with the central one for a 4x4 footprint).
Thanks, I was wondering why it some times worked, and other times not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.