• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #23: Theme Discussion

Should the terrain be made for Classic or Reforged?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Been some time since our last terraining contest. I think it's high time we host another. But I wonder if we should make this one for Classic or Reforged?

We havn't had a Reforged terraining contest before. So that might be interesting.

But let's hear it! Post your ideas!

I suggest Reforged terrain, with one of the following themes:

Suggested Themes (Updated Dec 13, 2022)
  • Lair (home of a creature e.g. spider, dragon, troll etc.)
  • Temple
  • Altar
  • landmark buildings that are dedicated to gods and godlike creatures
  • Void
  • Elven forest
  • Vampires
  • Place of cult (This means, sacrificial circles, or churches, or open sky totems, etc. seems just a tany bit more broad then the previous titles)
  • Aztec/Mayan
  • demons/hell
  • vampire

Last edited:
I like the temple and altar themes, can be made with columns and other doodads that tell about different epochs, that can be ruins or freshly constructed buildings. Both ideas can be united into one topic of "landmark buildings that are dedicated to gods and godlike creatures" 🏛

The lair idea is also very nice and multifaceted, can be done in many variations and bring some spectacular results.

Nyctaeus

Hosted Project: W3E
Level 17
Kinda second what @Villagerino said here. Temple/Altair can be combined into a single theme [as altairs are usually in temples xD?], and this theme can squeeze tons of creativity from the community due to abundance of inspirations and possible executions. Worship-themed work can also be made in multitude of possible themes, from dark and demonic cults, through open, tribal sanctuaries dedicated to nature, to end with strange worship of eldritch, alien, unknown entities. It naturally encourages diversity and interesting contest entries.

I won't be able to participy in HD contest, but I'd surely give a try to SD one. Been a while since I modelled anykind of holy [or unholy :p] enviro.

I prefer SD so I don't have to worry about mixing ORM models with non ORM models.

Also are we talking about scenic terrain contest or a playable terrain?

Theme suggestions for playable terrain:

Primary theme:

1. Void
2. Elven forest
3. Vampires

Secondary theme:

1. Bridge
2. Boss fight arena
3. Path from point A to B

Thanks for thinking of me.
I have seen incredible things with the SD version, although I have little experience there. Personally I would prefer to see more projects in hd and at the same time create new resources for these. I love the nature/forest theme.

Where can I see previous contests or some examples? I have never participated in any contest

Level 35
Hm, I like the idea of void, though would it be a mimickry of his terrains or would it be attempting to recreate the essence of his being in the editor?

Anyway, for suggestions, I'd like to offer a little throw-back suggestion to the four seasons contest: "Reclaimed", where the contestant makes two entries, first one of something, then another of that something having been "reclaimed" by something else. (There might be a better word for this).

Examples: First terrain being a modern city, second one being nature having taken over.
Or, first one an elven shrine of some sort, while the second one has orcs moved in and orced up the place.
Etc.

Level 21
From an exlusively observing point of view, i'd like to see:
  • Place of cult
  • Lair
  • Crime scene(s)?! maybe more broadly:
  • Aftermath of some event (meteor impact, volcano, deluge, hurricane, crime scene, alien invasion, sudden departure, bandit trap - and lots more)
  • - hm could also make it mid-impact, encouraging playing around with transitions

Last edited:
Level 29
From an exlusively observing point of view, i'd like to see:
  • Place of cult
  • Lair
  • Crime scene(s)?! maybe more broadly:
  • Aftermath of some event (meteor impact, volcano, deluge, hurricane, crime scene, alien invasion, sudden departure, bandit trap - and lots more)
  • - hm could also make it mid-impact, encouring playing around with transitions
aftermath theme was already used in the past
I participied in the aftermath theme terraining contest, was my first.
so far I participied in the last 3 terraining contest.

Been some time since our last terraining contest. I think it's high time we host another. But I wonder if we should make this one for Classic or Reforged?

We havn't had a Reforged terraining contest before. So that might be interesting.

But let's hear it! Post your ideas!

I suggest Reforged terrain, with one of the following themes:

Suggested Themes (Updated Dec 7, 2022)
  • Lair (home of a creature e.g. spider, dragon, troll etc.)
  • Temple
  • Altar
  • landmark buildings that are dedicated to gods and godlike creatures
  • Void
  • Elven forest
  • Vampires
  • Place of cult (This means, sacrificial circles, or churches, or open sky totems, etc. seems just a tany bit more broad then the previous titles)
  • Aztec/Mayan
  • demons/hell
Would LOVE a vampire theme in Reforged graphics! People could make something like Revendreth

Level 29

@WolfFarkas : as much as I don't like the style of Reforged for units, the buildings and doodads look really nice, competing with SD graphics is like entering a rock contest while playing with only a harmonica ^)

-I am asking a contest rule not a fallacy of analogy.
-If I am allowed to compite I dont mind to end last place, I am hoping SD will be discouraged to be used but allowed if you dont have other choice. Also I want to see how many people will join this terraining contest, cuz in the minimap contest we were 3,
-there are other tricks to exploit in a terraining contest like size and composition. also the great UTM 4.0 is in SD.
-even in football 38 years old player play together with 18 years old players (and these run faster, age limit rule is quite wide).

There is even room to rules like SD entries can only compite for the third place. 1st and 2nd places will be granted to HD entries

see ya

Last edited:
Level 29
Relax, it was a joke, even if I think it is a handicap :hohum:
Order received, activating relax mode... loading relaxed .dll files.
Error, unable to handle exception 4002138 file Rmode12.asc
file may be missing or corrupted.
Relaxed mode failed.
Try to contact the developer.

btw for the theme I did once this long lists
if someone wants to take a look to those lists...
there may be interestings themes there.

@Archian
maybe this polls examples, may help you to organice the poll.
we did this in the 20 and 22.

Last edited:

JnM

JnM

Level 12
This looks fun.
If the contest can be an HD/SD hybrid that would be awesome. Might even through in my hat for old times sake.
There are a few recurring themes that could probably just be regrouped into "Places of worship", but I see the nuance.
If it's not too late, I'd love to add "Landscape" as a theme.
Cheers to the organizers!

Last edited:

JnM

JnM

Level 12
Isn't pretty much every terrain a landscape?

It'd be like having a modelling contest themed "asset" or a skinning contest themed "art".

In short: Too vague.

They're similar but not necessarily synonymous. That's like saying "Isn't pretty much every sound a music?".

Terrain is a broader geographical term which comes from the French word "Earth/land". There's a reason why Blizzard names the section "Terrain" and not something like "Landscape".

A landscape is much more specific and is usually referred to as the aesthetic scenery of a vast countryside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.