• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terrain Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey guys, I'm looking for a model that when re sized, is the entire terrain. I mean something like a detailed castle, or a landscape.

basically, it's all the doodads, landscape, and buildings, in one big model file, I'm expecting something that when imported, takes 3 000 kb alone.

I'm not really looking for anything specific, I'm more wondering if it could be done than anything else, and if it can, I can make anything useful.

-Teld

Level 17
Hey guys, I'm looking for a model that when re sized, is the entire terrain. I mean something like a detailed castle, or a landscape.

basically, it's all the doodads, landscape, and buildings, in one big model file, I'm expecting something that when imported, takes 3 000 kb alone.

I'm not really looking for anything specific, I'm more wondering if it could be done than anything else, and if it can, I can make anything useful.

-Teld

It's called being to lazy to make a terrain.
No you can't find models for an entire terrain nor would anybody make it.
Just use models to build your own unique with more details terrain.

Level 18
I doubt it's laziness if he makes the terrain himself. It's either modelling or terraining, but both take time and effort.

Whether or not this is possible, depends on what you implement in it. If there's a lot of animation in it or if it's really large (which is easily done if you want the entire terrain filled of a Medium size map), you'll probably get lag. As for the file size: The more detailed and animated, the bigger the file size. If you want to use this technique for a multiplayer map, I can tell you you're not going to get satisfying results if you try this, because something like this will consume a lot of file size, which is limited for multiplayer.

Level 10
haha, I have no problem terraining, I am more curious than anything else. It would be hard to make, of this I am well aware, but as far as mapping goes it would be pretty easy to set up, and you can set all the specifics. Maybe not a very complicated terrain like a castle, but something like a landscape would be cool.

I took a model from here once, the Pandaren Building1 by killst4r and resized it to try it that way, didn't look too bad except it looked like a room for giants.

I'm not looking for doodads in order to put together to make the terrain, nor is it out of laziness that I ask this. I just think it would be pretty awesome, and very useful.

Level 10
It would be hard to make, and wouldn't work well. To make it work you would need to also make a very efficient and intricate pathing map for the model, and wouldn't be able to have any parts of the model sit above the walkable area, eg ceilings and arches, because the unit models would just walk over the top of them. Also it would limit your interactivity with the terrain, as things like trees would be set in place and unusable as resources. Also, if you used this model instead of terraining then everyones map would just end up looking the same.

Finally, worst of all would be it's filesize, which would be huge... hence why people make the model kits you combine to make scenery and structures. Why create 1 big useless model with a standard shape that can not even be played on b.net, when you can create individual walls etc. that you only have to import once and then can place as need be? For instance, a full size terrain model would essentially have you import the same wall hundreds of times in the same model, so where a castle wall is only 10kb on it's own, the walls of this 'useful' model alone would account for 50% of your total import allowance.

Status
Not open for further replies.