• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Clips from my map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I have not gone and created a terrain just for the sake of it, instead these are just pic from my map and thus i have no reason or purpose of copying someone. There not amazing but they are just on this threat to see what you think and how can i improve the terrain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

2 More new pics.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Map creating takes forever :ogre_rage:

Attachments

• Crystal Cave.jpg
    Crystal Cave.jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 1,078
  • Elven Cliff city.jpg
    Elven Cliff city.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 1,608
  • Kings bedroom.jpg
    Kings bedroom.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 947
  • Park Waterfall.jpg
    Park Waterfall.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,118
  • Ruined Cathedral.jpg
    Ruined Cathedral.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 1,550
  • Unknown Ruins.jpg
    Unknown Ruins.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
Nobody takes me seriously. Admin remove this when ready please. Shame i do try but you guys only talk to people you already know but never me.

give it a bit of time my friend, the terrain forum's always been a rather slow place and it looks even slower these days

good cave, simple and effective structure, nice use of sand/village rocks. village rough dirt also looks very good with those tiles. i wouldn't use river rushes though, they're rather pixelly. i'd think about using one type of rock only

interesting work on the second one, but what really makes the kind of cliff terrains is if there's a visible path connecting each house, with a bit more variation in houses too, to the actual road, and with people interacting with each other on those paths (doodad people). that's the kind of thing that really makes it great and super to look at. i'd suggest making it a bit more tame too, looks rather wild atm

try to stick with a single kind of structural element, i.e. all the pillars/walls/etc from the same rock texture or something, so that it looks like a proper actual house/interior . agreed with the strange effect of the ripple, try to make any kind of raise a sharp, clear version of hills and then using walls on both ends to hide any kind of effects, or using platforms as walkable areas for units - however not ones like you used in front of the fire, but rather ones that actually look like floor. overturned walls often work. i'd also try creating a more homely atmosphere - the king's bedchamber looks a bit primitive in one part with the fire, then really spartan in the bed and yet religious and impressive with the statue, and then a bit homely with the darker walls and the bookcase, each element giving new effects.

just wondering, what are those trees? haven't been on wc3 terraining in ages
better tiles are needed here. sunken ruins dark grass isn't a great one imo, with trees that have leaves like that, you can easily use the leaves tile in small spots (always use 1 tile brush), and that'll give a great variation with the ashen grass already. dirty grass is even more essential though, giving variation from the path to the grass and all. cobbles aren't exactly a good choice imo, their overgo is rather bad, for paths like that, just use dirt + rough dirt, and soft overgo tiles such as dirty grass between it and the sharper ones like grass, lumpy grass etc. also try to vary the tiles with the rocks, put some dirty grass, grass, sand in there. it looks a whole lot better, or cover it with good rock creations.
i prefer doodadless rock creation most of the time because it can look a whole lot better with tiles.

Level 9
All of your comments are brilliant !! And now i know what needs to be done to improve this. The interior looks crap as all of you have stated and i agree.
Belgarath Thank you very much for your massive paragraph as it will give me lots to work with. Now its time to improve everything. Ill get rid of the sunken ruins grass and i will add some leaves (tile) Ah its good to see no comments 1 day then 3 on the next.

Level 5
I really like the frozen cathedral, that's a pretty cool structurally. Nice job recreating the building using only its bones.

I also like the "ruins," but be careful with the area surrounding the ruins. You're using almost blighted-looking trees in the ruins, but right out side there's warm looking grass and trees. I think the there should be a bit more of a transition from summery grass and trees your ruined building.

edit: forgot to mention I think you're using the fog really well, it really adds a nice effect to those ruins!

Level 13
Crystal Cave
Looks ok, guess. But if it's a mine maybe add some mining carts and rails for 'em?
And imo you could try those transparent crystal models what you can find from UTM.

Elven Cliff city
Cliff would maybe look better if it wouldn't be that random and diffrent house models would do miracles too.

Kings bedroom in castle
I'd say it's a mess, too random. Make it look like royal, clean and clear pattern.

Water Feature in city park.
Looks ok. Some steam at waterfall would look good.

Ruins&Ruined Icy Cathedral
Looking nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.