• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terrain Advice

What terrain would you describe as most interesting for a Warcraft-based RPG

• Lordaeron Summer

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Icecrown Glacier

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Barrens wastelands

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Lordaeron Fall

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Sunken Ruins

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Your probably right,but ive made so many sunken ruins tiled maps so far(about 7) that im kinda sick of that tileset.The only reason why i added it is because ive noticed that its quite popular among mappers.

Level 12
I noticed that many people voted on sunken ruins.I have to agree that its a popular with a reason,there are a lot of colorfull and nice doodads,its very easy to be creative with it,nice to look at,but what annoys me is that its been overused,and im pretty sure that in 6 months(if wc3 is still popular) almost everyone will get sick of it.So i dont know should i roll on unoriginality or try to be original and achieve half of the results i could have gotten with sunken ruins.

Level 28
I noticed that many people voted on sunken ruins.I have to agree that its a popular with a reason,there are a lot of colorfull and nice doodads,its very easy to be creative with it,nice to look at,but what annoys me is that its been overused,and im pretty sure that in 6 months(if wc3 is still popular) almost everyone will get sick of it.So i dont know should i roll on unoriginality or try to be original and achieve half of the results i could have gotten with sunken ruins.

Agreed. But I suggest you to don't duble-post. And sunken ruins is so popular, that's why I don't use it !

Level 12
I would have to agree with karzvitch, adding a few different tilesets would be nice, so there could both be ice and sunken ruins and so on.

im not bad at terraining but if i try to fuse icecrown glacier and sunken ruins itll look like crap...and i dunno how that would make sense...although...i can try to use more tilesets like ashenvale,barrens and lordaeron fall for example...

Level 12
Ill try it...if that backfires ima either stick to one tile or use two similiar tiles..im not saying that its a bad idea,im only saying that i never tried that before and dont know how itll all look.

Level 12
I already started on the map.Since i noticed that the sunken ruins was most voted,and i didnt want to make the whole map with that tileset,i made a mix of sunken ruins jungles and beaches,barrens wastelands,ashenvale forest,silverpine forest and ill probably add more later.When crossing from one area A to area B,the terrain changes so slowly that you notice it only when your already deep in the area B.

Now what troubles me is the fact that i cant get any terrainers to help me with this task(Map is huge,and its boring like hell when you do the terraining alone.)If there is anyone who wants to help me please let me know.BTW ill post the current terrain screens pretty soon.

Edit:As for icecrown,im starting to work on a big dungeon thats completely frozen and uses the icecrown tileset.

Ok here are some screens of the terraining ive done so far.I already posted some of them in the idea factory forums,but seems that no one even looked at that post so i guess its more fitting to post em here.

Ashenvale pond
picture1yf6.jpg

Ashenvale creek
picture2gr1.jpg

picture3il4.jpg

Ashenvale dungeon entrance
picture4vn4.jpg

Some Silverpine terrain
picture7lq1.jpg

So far ashenvale is complete,silverpine forest and barrens wastelands are under construsction,and so is the sunken ruins jungle.Theres a part of terrain left untouched,i have to figure out which tileset to use there,but itll probably be tirisfal glades(loarderon fall tileset).

Last edited:
Level 12

The point is,before starting the map,it didnt even occur to me to use more tilesets.I decided to use most of them a couple of days ago.

Level 28
Good.

But there are many rocks floating at the last screen, and that's weird.

I have to say that you used very well the blizz at the last screen.

About your tileset change, just be sure that it will make sense. Like, Trisfal Glades with Barrens Wastelands beside. They are not too close in the world map...

Level 12
Floating rocks?What do you mean by that?
And what blizz?

Btw i will make sure that the terrain makes sense - although i didnt express myself quite well;the terrain will be designed like tirisfal glades;this doesnt mean that it will actually represent it,maybe a mere part of it or something.

Level 28
Floating rocks?What do you mean by that?
And what blizz?

Btw i will make sure that the terrain makes sense - although i didnt express myself quite well;the terrain will be designed like tirisfal glades;this doesnt mean that it will actually represent it,maybe a mere part of it or something.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear =]

The image says everything.

Attachments

• floatinrocks.jpg
    floatinrocks.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 88
Level 34
I like this terrain a lot! +rep

The rocks were fine, you wouldn't see from an overhead view. The use of blizz cliffs is very good, but it may have looked better without them. Not sure, but you probably shouldn't try messing up something that looks good enough for a playable terrain. (IT is playable right?)

Level 12
Of course :)
As for the blizz cliffs i tried to avoid it but the elevation of other cliffs made it impossible so i had to use them as best as i could.If i wanted to cliff the river in any other way,id have to separate the hills too much,and then,i wouldnt be able to use the bridge(or i would have to make it much bigger and it looks really bad that way).

Level 12
If you hate them so much,dont come to this thread,and if you thought that it was about something else dont post here.Not that you arent helpful,youre practically spamming by posting information that no one cares about(at least i dont,and you were refering to me while you were posting,right?).Im not asking for opinions on the map type,im asking for opinion on the terrain,and your response has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.