• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Looking for help/advice with some outdoors Terraining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
hey guys, i was wondering if there is anyone who would be willing and would want to join in on a map developing project with me. I could really use help with terraining of outdoors areas, im okay with making inside areas / city etc but the outside is a mess and if anyone would sacrifice a couple hours to help me with that that would be tremendous. Ofc i put u in credits and all that mumbo jumbo

or some advice on how to make a scene look beautiful. When I imagine a beautiful scenery I imagine tons of doodas and stuff, but a lot of maps with stunning terraning I seen had rather simple way of going, yet it was beautiful. So if someone could give me a couple advice on how to make a pretty terrain for a scenario of an abandoned island, I would be very grateful.

To show what I mean by saying I'm VERY bad at training nature, here is the spawn area I made so far.... yeah its awful... i cant seem to find a good pattern no matter what i try

Reforged ALLVISIBLE
9fNNppR.png

Reforged normal player fog (with high camera offset for showcase)
zii9OSA.png

YdAtzuq.png

I'm not at all that good at Reforged terraining as I have barely touched it, but there are some simple tricks that should work for Reforged as well. One of the biggest would be to completely get rid of the standard Blizzard cliffs.

1. Use a custom MiscData.txt to allow for creation of steep hills by using the terrain lower, raise and plateau tools.
  2. Use the model file of the destructible rock chunks to make cliff doodads. I have seen some interesting results with that model in Reforged.
  3. Download some good omnilights and play around with lights, not necessarily only the glowing torches.
  4. Try to have varying terrain height with full pathability.

Other than that I think you're on to a good start. Place doodads in chunks instead of randomly spread out. Cover up the base of big doodads with smaller filler doodads (for example cover the base of trees with shrubs, or cover the base of big rocks with smaller rocks).

Level 6
I'm not at all that good at Reforged terraining as I have barely touched it, but there are some simple tricks that should work for Reforged as well. One of the biggest would be to completely get rid of the standard Blizzard cliffs.

1. Use a custom MiscData.txt to allow for creation of steep hills by using the terrain lower, raise and plateau tools.
  2. Use the model file of the destructible rock chunks to make cliff doodads. I have seen some interesting results with that model in Reforged.
  3. Download some good omnilights and play around with lights, not necessarily only the glowing torches.
  4. Try to have varying terrain height with full pathability.

Other than that I think you're on to a good start. Place doodads in chunks instead of randomly spread out. Cover up the base of big doodads with smaller filler doodads (for example cover the base of trees with shrubs, or cover the base of big rocks with smaller rocks).
i do have the miscdata infinite lowering and raising. I dunno if it would look good to have a stretched wall instead of a cliff. Also, what u mean by rock chunks to make cliffs? how would that look good? can you show any example?

I dunno if it would look good to have a stretched wall instead of a cliff.
Cover the walls with doodads like so:
Screenshot
Screenshot

The green lines represents the upper level, and the blue lines represent the lower levels. Both levels are pathable, and this wouldn't have been possible without steep hills. Cover the hills in doodads however you want to make sure you don't see the stretched walls.

This isn't limited to structures, it can also be used in natural environments like here: Screenshot

Also, what u mean by rock chunks to make cliffs? how would that look good?
I am telling you to make a doodad and change its model file to that of a rock chunk. Scale it up and make mountains with them. I don't have any pictures of it, you just gotta take my word for it.

Level 4
If you still need help, here's some tips from someone who does a lot of terraining:

-Have terrain mixes of 2-4 different tiles (like 2 types of grass and 2 types of dirt for a forest for example) and somewhat randomly make patterns on the ground. Dark grass under trees, light grass forest edge, roads of 2 mixed dirts, maybe some short grass, unleash your inner Bob Ross!

-Create different sizes of rocks, plants and trees, and use rocks of all tilesets. If you spam these everywhere. It'll be loads better.

- I like using hero glow (model downloadable here) as a sort of light source. It can enhance the feeling in many areas by a lot.

I can add some screenshots if you need inspiration.

Level 6
If you still need help, here's some tips from someone who does a lot of terraining:

-Have terrain mixes of 2-4 different tiles (like 2 types of grass and 2 types of dirt for a forest for example) and somewhat randomly make patterns on the ground. Dark grass under trees, light grass forest edge, roads of 2 mixed dirts, maybe some short grass, unleash your inner Bob Ross!

-Create different sizes of rocks, plants and trees, and use rocks of all tilesets. If you spam these everywhere. It'll be loads better.

- I like using hero glow (model downloadable here) as a sort of light source. It can enhance the feeling in many areas by a lot.

I can add some screenshots if you need inspiration.

hey, thanks for the reply. Sounds awesome, also would love to see some screenshots. Or by any chance would u be interested in working on the map with me? maybe just a bit so i can get a hang of the style and continue. All maps i made so far had cityscape terraining so im good at making cities lordaeron/stormwind style but nature and jungle like terraining is still a big gray area for me

Level 4
Sure! Making terran is what I enjoy most about making maps in WC3.

Send me the map and I'll see what can do

EDIT: Here's some screens from the map i'm currently working on. I'd make some more but my main map isn't working anymore since Reforged :p

Attachments

• Screen01.png
    Screen01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen02.png
    Screen02.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Ya'll should listen to me and try some rock chunks as cliffs :p Get some custom trees, even if they're lower quality than the Reforged trees Talavaj's trees are still quite good. They can be found here.

Look at concept art that fits for the kind of terrain you want to make, and then start to plan what models/doodads/resources you can use to achieve the desired look.

Level 6
Sure! Making terran is what I enjoy most about making maps in WC3.

Send me the map and I'll see what can do

EDIT: Here's some screens from the map i'm currently working on. I'd make some more but my main map isn't working anymore since Reforged :p

oh u would be willing to help me or work with me? that would be awesome, do you have a discord or something so we could screen share or write in real time etc? would be awesome since im still struggling with this xd

Level 4
oh u would be willing to help me or work with me? that would be awesome, do you have a discord or something so we could screen share or write in real time etc? would be awesome since im still struggling with this xd

Well, I still have my own map to worry about ^^' But If you send me the map and tell me, roughly, what you need/want, I can work on it a bit and send it back so you can tell me if you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.