• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Terragen: The Free 3d Terrain Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So I was scouting the web the other day, looking for ideas for Rui's Terraining Challenge, and while on google I found a program called Terragen. Terragen is a totaly free 3d terraining program, based off of the topographic system (colors indicate heights), so you can create or generate a terrain in this program, then add/controll effects such as lighting, sun angle and heading, sea level, atmosphere density/hue/glow, wave size/formation. There are thousands of possibilities. One of the drawbacks is that this terrain cannot be used in Warcraft 3 (hence the position of this in the off-topic instead of the terraining forums), it also just generates Rendered Images as an end result, although you can use a 3d camera to fly around in the preveiw mode. So tell me what you guys think, I thought some terrainers might be interested in this.

Here are some shots of my Terraforms:
BeyondtheLight.jpg

DawnsSentinal.jpg

And here is a REALLy complex redner I found on Google
ter259.jpg

Feedback plz!

Level 8
Terragen rules! I belive Terragen 2 is out as well, or the beta anyway, it's supposedly equals almost all of the proffessional programs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.