• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Taura the healer

After I saw Wtii's reaction on his youtube channel on my "Female tauren" model I had to make a new one. Hopefully this one looks a bit better.

@WTii , I'm waiting a reaction about this one :')
Previews
Contents

Taura the healer (Model)

Tauren healer V2 (Model)

Tauren healerV1 (Model)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
An.. interesting Tauren priest model. Works in-game. Approved!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well it's definitely way better than the original. Great improvement. I'm overall a fan of the mesh (breasts notwithstanding ;-), and even though that back leg looks weird (even though I know that's how cow legs work); cool staff, good clothes, solid TC. The animations are exactly what they need to be.

Personally I'm not sold on that animated texture being on all the time; it undeniably looks cool, but it feels a bit 'extra' (especially on a unit). It would make plenty of sense as an effect played during the Spell anim.

Also, while I super-love the ingenuity & creativity of using the Rabbit texture for the face... It leaves somewhat to be desired. it's super-simple/low-poly, and the eyes especially are really distracting. She looks like a toy doll, in a way. I wonder if it might be keep-able if you just replace the eyes with the standard "white" eyes? Maybe? Ah dannae. Sorry, man, I really wanted to love that choice.

This is something original and can help well with the lack of priests 👍 The mesh is also cool and works great, but I kinda feel the same about the animated texture as Kyrbi0. I feel like making the chin smaller and changing the camera angle (so her nose doesn't look so pointy and big) would make her prettier and more feminine. By the way, the first variation of the eyes looks nice (the yellow ones).

Considering the Spell sequence, how about lowering the size of the green particles and setting their transparency to 0 in the 3rd segment of the Particle Emitter? This would allow them to fade away gently rather than just instantly expire.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I think I'm in agreement with the others on the yellow eyes (the other ones look more like real eyes but I think Warcraft often has sort of mono-color white/yellow? Maybe?). Any of them are an improvement on the black, though.

I also agree that the hair color could use some variation (blue being kinda strange on a Tauren, IMO).

Level 48
The yellow eyes look better and I would also go with a more fleshy snout for her. The rabbit texture is a little bit horrifying honestly!

I also think her hair would look better in blonde. If you could also define her lips somehow (extra mesh + different texture), and give her teeth (2D plane), you might be able to improve the facial fidelity even further. Her head also just looks a little small compared to her body.

Overall though, very sweet model, even if it's in your usual "very detailed" style and thus not quite as useful next to the existing stuff.

Level 50
Can you tell where his reaction was?

Edit: Added two different variations with different hair texture.
If someone wants the other two variations(with different eyes textures) I'll just leave them here in the comment.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.png
    2.png
    286.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Tauren Healer2.mdx
    116 KB · Views: 18
  • Tauren Healer3.mdx
    116 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Level 50
i think the rabbit texture looks good. i dunno, maybe i'm just a sucker for "using the rarely used textures" the blonde and brown hair versions greatly improves the model in my opinion. the blue just clashes too much with the rest of the colors.
I mean, it's hard to find a texture that will fit a "tauren female". Rabbit texture kind of resembles a cow in some weird way and that's why I decided to use it. Any other texture would look bad and not fitting for a female tauren. :p

Level 49
I mean, it's hard to find a texture that will fit a "tauren female". Rabbit texture kind of resembles a cow in some weird way and that's why I decided to use it. Any other texture would look bad and not fitting for a female tauren. :p
i did not mean it as derogatory just to clear it up. i actually like it when people use textures that are rarely seen in modeling using in game skins. really shows how creative you are in finding textures that would fit a concept nicely.