• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

"Targets allowed", "Targeted as", and &q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm trying to make a unit that can only be hit by one kind of spell. I know the key to doing this belongs somewhere with the "Targets allowed", "Targeted as", and "Unit Classification" settings, but so far I can't find and sort of combination that works. So if anyone can help me out here's exactly what I need: To know what settings I can put on a unit to make it targetable to only one spell. I also need to make a spell that can only target that unit. The spell that this is based on could be either an aoe spell or a targeting spell.

I don't want to do this with triggers if at all possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Level 3
This worked okay for me:

Give the unit the "ancient" classification.
Make the spell target only ancients.

All other spells shouldn't be able to target it. To make AoE spells not affect that unit, make all AoE spells target "non-ancients". Then only the specific spell can target the unit.

You may need to do some fiddling, but any spell with "target non-ancient" set shouldn't affect your special unit.

Level 2
I'm still getting the same problem I was before. I set the unit to "ancient" on both the "Targeted as" and "Unit Classification" settings. I put my (aoe) spell's "Targets allowed" to "Air(the unit i'm trying to hit is a flying unit), Allied, Ancient, Enemy, Friend" I want to hit allied and enemy units with this spell. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong with this? It's really got me confused.

Level 3
Hmm, that is strange. I make a Gryphon Rider ancient, both with the targeted as and unit classification. Then I make the blizzard spell target "air, allied, ancient, enemy, friend".

If I put the Gryphon in a group of other units including an enemy Gryphon and cast blizzard on them, only the Gryphons get hurt.

I really don't know what's wrong. Maybe your unit has spell immunity or is invulnerable or something weird. What is the problem you're getting? Unless it's just "it doesn't work". Then I think you'll need to describe more, since I can't duplicate your problem.

Level 2
Alright, I got what you said working with the gryphons and blizzard, but now that creates another problem I was trying to avoid. Blizzard can kill the gryphons, but so can archers or anything else that can hit air units. They aren't being ignored by melee units because they are ancient, but because they are air. Do you have any other suggestions or am I out of luck?

Level 3
Glad to hear you got it working! Make the "Targets allowed" for the archer's attack include "non-ancients". All units in your map that could attack air should have that added to each attack that can target air. That'll prevent them from hurting the gryphon.

You could even change the error message to something cool. That's in the Game Interface section under the advanced menu (in case you didn't know already).

I get the feeling this setup of yours will only work with the ancient classification, so you'll be out of luck if you want more than one kind of these creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.