• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Trigger] Point target --> no target spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Does anyone know of a way to trigger an event (without dummy units or spells) when a player clicks an ability button? I want to turn a point target spell (like rain of fire or silence) into an instant (no target) spell by targeting the casting unit itself as a point, but I can't think of any good way of doing this. Any help would be much appreciated...

Level 8
Well, I want the caster to be the one casting the ability, but I want the area of effect for the spell to be centered at the position of the caster. Granted, the player could just click on the portrait of the caster, but it seems much more logical to just trigger it so you don't have to worry about it.

Level 8
Well, I want the unit to be casting the spell, as in cooldown activates, mana is spent, animation continually fires, unit can't move or attack. Also, the spell damages all units except self, so having a dummy cast would hurt the "caster" as well. I guess I'll just have to work around it though...

Level 8
Yes, I could, but I like to try to simplify everything to the utmost extent. I figured it was much easier to check for an event rather than creating a dummy spell, a visual spell, and a series of triggers. I have accepted the fact that I will have to take the roundabout way of doing this...

Level 4
...i dont get it. as paskovich said, this problem is precisely what dummy casting was made to do. Dummy casting involves very simple stuff... 1 dummy spell based off of a no target spell (ie stomp, or tranquil for channel), 1 effect spell with visuals (just like what you would do with non-trigger enchanced spells), and like... 7 lines of code. As far as i know, there is no better work around :sad:.

also, dummy casted spells can be selected to do no damage to allies under "targets allowed", so thats not a problem either.

Dont be scared of dummy casting! It allows you to make all kinds of neat spells and other triggers!

Level 8
...i dont get it. as paskovich said, this problem is precisely what dummy casting was made to do. Dummy casting involves very simple stuff... 1 dummy spell based off of a no target spell (ie stomp, or tranquil for channel), 1 effect spell with visuals (just like what you would do with non-trigger enchanced spells), and like... 7 lines of code. As far as i know, there is no better work around :sad:.

also, dummy casted spells can be selected to do no damage to allies under "targets allowed", so thats not a problem either.

Dont be scared of dummy casting! It allows you to make all kinds of neat spells and other triggers!

I understand dummy casters to the utmost extent and use them in most of my spells. I, however, as I said before, like to examine easier ways first, and then I resort to dummy units. If I can simply make a single unit cast a spell and use two or three lines of triggering, it is a lot easier than trying to have multiple casters and numerous lines of code. Anyway, thanks for the input. Got it done with dummies already...

Status
Not open for further replies.