• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Taking Terrain Requests Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, My name is Quinten (18). I've been introduced to Warcraft when I was just 7 years old and I love terraining.

I bear a terrible curse that whatever terrain I made for people never gets finished on their end into something playable. I've taken requests from maybe 10 or 12 people making over 40-43 terrain maps for them ever since I started taking requests back in Februari 2017.

Main reason I started taking terrain requests is because I suck at triggering and was up until late, really insecure at english (As for I am Dutch).

My insecurity has since faded since most people tell me my english is not so bad and my terrain is amazing.

Trying to make me learn Triggering is really at no use; I'm just not suited for it. After half a decade of insecurity and failing miserably at whatever I try, I've given up.

My terraining style is really specific. I can only produce high quality campaign-like terrain and never use any Custom Models. Only exception would be simple custom models that add to the game, not alter how the game looks.

Despite my age, I have 11 years of experience and I am capable of doing much more than just terraining.

I offer Photoshop services, Voice acting, I'm good at balancing/diversifying vanilla content/story writing and I always give my own twists to the map. All for hobby and for fun, I don't accept payments and crediting for my work is never required.

I love this community and beside all my @#%! being cast away by a dozen people for 2 years, my terrible insecurity, curse and chronic noob-ness at triggering, I've always sticked with Warcraft III and I would do nothing rather than terraining for hobby in my free time. It's always been a creativity outlet and blood elf mana addiction to me to express myself in the bounds of the editor.

I've overheard there's a terrainer shortage in the community and the campaign section is dying out, so I answer the call and would be glad to help anyone.

The only requests I am able to really help with is vanilla-orientated Campaign maps.
Other simpler/rpg/moba/custom game maps, forget about it. I tried making melee maps before, but I made it too complicated/campaign ish.

I'm not an active HIVE user, please refer to my discord if you're interested.

Sapprine#2471
I am active on W3U, feel free to @ me any time.

There's plenty of my work around hive.

If you like to see screenshots of new terrains, please consider adding me on discord.

Hmm, if it's the stuff I see in your media postings then I think you should do some more research into terraining. The terrain in your screenshots looks very basic, just one step up from newbie terraining. More realistic terraining is possible without the use of custom models. You stack blizzard cliffs to make mountains instead of just adjusting the terrain height etc.

Your doodads are floating in the air while you should adjust their height with ctrl+PgDown to make them look more attached to the ground. You should use more doodads. Shrub, rocks, mushroom, logs, stubs, flowers and so on.

Furthermore it looks like you only use white fog in your screenshots. You should make the color based on the terrain and weather. And you should use more weather.

I don't mean to bash your work, and it isn't BAD, I just don't feel it's on a level where you can take terrain requests. You need to do some more research, practice, test new things and be extremely critical of your own work.

Reactions: San
Hmm, if it's the stuff I see in your media postings then I think you should do some more research into terraining. The terrain in your screenshots looks very basic, just one step up from newbie terraining. More realistic terraining is possible without the use of custom models. You stack blizzard cliffs to make mountains instead of just adjusting the terrain height etc.

Your doodads are floating in the air while you should adjust their height with ctrl+PgDown to make them look more attached to the ground. You should use more doodads. Shrub, rocks, mushroom, logs, stubs, flowers and so on.

Furthermore it looks like you only use white fog in your screenshots. You should make the color based on the terrain and weather. And you should use more weather.

I don't mean to bash your work, and it isn't BAD, I just don't feel it's on a level where you can take terrain requests. You need to do some more research, practice, test new things and be extremely critical of your own work.
I do most of that stuff now, most of the stuff thats on HIVE is years old.

On discord, I share more recent terrainworks.
Such as this
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...34670360785/unknown.png?width=1096&height=618

Edit: I've really gotten a lot better recently, and if you would take a min to look at all those other custom campaign maps, they all have really poor terrain

Last edited:
I do most of that stuff now, most of the stuff thats on HIVE is years old.

On discord, I share more recent terrainworks.
Such as this
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...34670360785/unknown.png?width=1096&height=618

It's better than your media posts, but far from what I consider pro terraining.
download-png.326860

Your doodads are still floating in the air.

As I said, it's better. Continue experimenting and practicing and you will get there eventually.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
It's better than your media posts, but far from what I consider pro terraining.
download-png.326860

Your doodads are still floating in the air.

As I said, it's better. Continue experimenting and practicing and you will get there eventually.
That's because I just made this today and will still adjust those before publishing.

Just got a lot to worry about right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.