• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Swapping textures ingame, possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi, there.

If anyone knows, plz answer or give at least a tip how to solve, if possible.

My goal is to have a modell used in Wc3 changing its texture. For example, a Hero uses a piece of armour, the used piece should be visible as texture on the modell.

A "simple" way would be to create mutiple modells with identical animation but using different textures. But this method will end up with like 200+ modells

Is it possible to swap a texture, used by a modell, in wc3 like it is in WoW? In WoW it works like this: You equip an item and it is shown on your char. In the case of hands, feet, head, shoulder and weapons its just an attachment to the specific bone. In case of chest, wrist, belt and legs only the used texture changes and no attachment is done. So exists a way to do this in Wc3? It is important that the animations of the modell still working, so making an animated texture won't solve my problem, cause i'll need to create mutiple animation for each used piece of armour => laaaaarge data

I'm no noob to 3d modelling, texturing or animating. I have all necessary modellprograms, at least i think so^^ So i ask again, does anybody know if this is possible and in the case it is, how to do it?

Greetings, Thyrael

Level 11
Yeah, i know how to work with attachmentpoints. Nevertheless thanks for your replay. The new problem would be, that the attachment for legs won't follow the modells animation. Cause the leg has at least 2 segments, upper und lowerleg. The attachment has to follows the animation of the leg, but an attachment only follows the animation of its parentbone. Is it possible to animate attachments as well? I mean to create an new modell, using some parts of the complete modells structure, scaling them up, to create the illusion of a piece of armour, texturing it, animating it, an naming the animation like the animations of the complete modell? If done that way, is it possible, that the attachmentmodell will follow the complete modells animation? Anybody knows for sure? Cause testing this would be waste of time, if is impossible^^

Greetings Thyrael

Level 11
Sry for doubleposting, but I just tested my theory. I took my charmodell and extracted the legpart including all animated bones, textures and hirachy. Then I scaled that part up bei 10% and exported to own modell. The animations for that part of armour works perfect. I imported the modell into a testmap and tried to attach it to a unitsmodell. The attachment works perfect aswell. But the attachment doesn't follow the modells animation, i mean it follows the modell like an attachment is supposed to do, but the animations are asynchron. For example, if the unit plays its Walk-animation, the attachment still plays its Stand-animation. Is there a way to synch the animations of 2 independent modells ingame? Cause the WE only allows to play specific animations of units, doodads or terrainobjects... Anyone knows?

Level 11
Yeah, I did, but the prob is, as I said above, that f.e. the legs have more than 1 bone which move. If I attach 1 piece to upper and another to lower leg, the meshes won't be connected an holes will be the result. Cause ingame attachments don't use the "connected" flag in the userproperties (3ds max 5). Thats because the attachment are 2 different modells if attached to different bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.