• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Supreme Commander: Lived up to TA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Some may know what i'm talking about, Total Annihilation (TA) in my opinion is one of the best real time strategy games i have ever played as well as it being one of the best looking games of it time, but whether i thought that Supreme Commander ("Spiritual Successor") lived up to its name is a different story...

Supreme Commander is without a doubt a large scale rts game and it is good, but i have a few huge issues with this game...

1. Requirements: The requirements to run this monster of a game is ridiculous, even on low goes down to 13-25 frames once the battle heats up...

2. Explosions: Haha, some may think this is a stupid complaint, i don't blame you but still, all the explosion is a bright orb thing. In TA, when the unit is killed it can explode completely or have fiery boom but still have a corpse.

3. Music: TA in my opinion had one of the godliest music tracks in gaming history. Supreme Commander's music...is pathetic compared to TA, SupCom music had just lost its fire depsite the music being orchestrated by the same people who did the TA music.

4. Build Time: The building time in Supreme Commander is just awful. This is one of my biggest complaints, this makes much MUCH slower than TA. This also makes the game last very long, which can be a good or bad thing to different people.

5. Resource Requirements: This my friends is my biggest complaint, to last a good fight against an expert AI or an experienced online player...you better understand you will be constantly building and as well losing resources in order to keep up. And this is where TA ultimately defeats Supreme Commander...the requirements are lower so that you can conentrate more on defense and/or offense to build your army. This also adds on to the lack of battle in the begining of the games.

Now some may disagree with me on some of these points, these are just my personal thoughts...and i want to hear some of your guys opinions(that is if you have played both).

There are some pros of SupCom, like the ability to chain resource building with factories to reduce the requirements of unit production and the fact the commander can now last much longer. Expermental Units are fun i will adimit that but some may not like them, i dunno, they seem fine to me.

Desicion: So lets wrap this up, SupCom is a great rts but should not be approached unless you have some basic knowledge on real time strategy (rts), I suggest starcraft (personally i get bored of this fast so...), CoH, Rise of Nations, Age of Empires I,II,III, Age of Mythology, and i know i'm forgeting some good ones but yeah. SupCom, it is a good game, but had failed to bring the big bang and change the ways an rts can be played unlike its predecessor Total Annihilation.

BTW, sorry for making you read all this, i just wanted to point out some thoughts of mine

Level 3
yes, i still however think that TA is far superior...i think those who haven't tried it yet should try it out

Status
Not open for further replies.