• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] Suggestions for a Dota/AoS Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Hi and welcome to the Hive! =)

Since this is a thread centered around your map, it has been moved to the Idea Factory forum. Now if you want advice on your map, you better start by giving us more information about it: what's its name, mechanics, theme, etc. The more you give the better are your chances of receiving help.

So that's it. We have plenty of tutorials and resources (models, spells, icons, etc) to help you in your wc3 project. Enjoy your stay!

Level 6
We really will need more information than just the genre, but the genre itself is actually a notable starting point. One of the key things about the DotA-type maps is that they have a certain minimum understanding of the editor to make work, due to a minimum number of triggers, some of which can be rather complicated to arrange. Though to my understanding, the Tavern style Hero selection is pretty much trivial to arrange, with some minor variation on the standard. If you have some kind of core divergence from the standard, @DropTheGhouls, you really do need to mention some particular plan.

Level 1
Hi and welcome to the Hive! =)

Since this is a thread centered around your map, it has been moved to the Idea Factory forum. Now if you want advice on your map, you better start by giving us more information about it: what's its name, mechanics, theme, etc. The more you give the better are your chances of receiving help.

So that's it. We have plenty of tutorials and resources (models, spells, icons, etc) to help you in your wc3 project. Enjoy your stay!

Well, thanks for the support.

Level 1
We really will need more information than just the genre, but the genre itself is actually a notable starting point. One of the key things about the DotA-type maps is that they have a certain minimum understanding of the editor to make work, due to a minimum number of triggers, some of which can be rather complicated to arrange. Though to my understanding, the Tavern style Hero selection is pretty much trivial to arrange, with some minor variation on the standard. If you have some kind of core divergence from the standard, @DropTheGhouls, you really do need to mention some particular plan.

Well, my WE Knowledges are nearly null, i constantly use hashtables.

I'm doing random heros.

Here is an old hero:

PD: Yes, i used WC3 Spanish. That was a really old video.

GAME OBJECTIVE: Destroy the Enemy Main Core, optionally the fountain.

EXTRA : No Roshan, instead Ko'das( a 6700 hp, with 120 Damage and 0.8 AS GHOUL), if you kill him, you don't obtain an "Ankh of Reincarnation-Style" object. Instead you obtain the Ghoul Claw. This Object allows the hero KILL another hero, doesn't matter if he's insanely armored, you kill him.

GOLD: You obtain gold every second.

MODES:
-Normal
-Allpick
-Crazy ( you gain 1 STR, AGI and INT every 5 seconds and 1000% handicap Sentinel and Scourge)
-Apocalypse (All players are ally, 5 treants and ghouls appear every 15 seconds to kill you, the handicap increases in 50% every time a hero dies)
There are 20 heroes, at the moment.

I need suggestions for HEROES, EXTRA, MODES, OBJECTS. TY

Level 6
Hmm... I personally dislike random Heroes being the default, as it means the Heroes can't be building blocks of a team, like they try in Heroes of the Storm. Otherwise you end up with one team occasionally having nothing but supports and the other nothing but tanks. Constant income means that a bunch of typical MOBA advice goes out the window, as there's not much penalty for not chasing down enemies, as your wealth is less dependent on kills, though I'd personally prefer income based on damage dealt via Pillage to enable strong healing as an option.

20 Heroes is plenty, one of the biggest issues with the MOBA genre as a whole is that the rosters get way too big, making the barrier to entry utterly insane. Instead of making more Heroes, you could focus on having very broad Heroes with mutually-exclusive abilities that have each row/column/whatever be designed around one particular playstyle, but also not be incompatible to use with other "sets". You could continue to add more rows/columns and implement a system to use them partially randomly, with each row/column being guranteed to have the same general role, but no combinations of sets are assured, then only add a new Hero when you have an idea that's completely off the wall to other Heroes, resulting in Heroes being quite decidedly archetypal. This means that randomness exists, and has a major impact, but players can learn a coherent meta and make choices at the start, followed by immediate and coherent planning.

The point of sets is two fold. The first is to avert total combinatorial hell, as having every ability randomize defeats the point of having Heroes draw from a Hero-specific pool. The second is because this actually streamlines the code quite a bit, because you don't need to have any shenanigans to get the abilities in the right command cart spot, letting you reuse the same hotkey and position for abilities in the same spot. And because the ability learning has a separate hotkey to the actual use, you can keep positional hotkeys and switch to the one that's used once you learn it.

Level 1
Hmm... I personally dislike random Heroes being the default, as it means the Heroes can't be building blocks of a team, like they try in Heroes of the Storm. Otherwise you end up with one team occasionally having nothing but supports and the other nothing but tanks. Constant income means that a bunch of typical MOBA advice goes out the window, as there's not much penalty for not chasing down enemies, as your wealth is less dependent on kills, though I'd personally prefer income based on damage dealt via Pillage to enable strong healing as an option.

20 Heroes is plenty, one of the biggest issues with the MOBA genre as a whole is that the rosters get way too big, making the barrier to entry utterly insane. Instead of making more Heroes, you could focus on having very broad Heroes with mutually-exclusive abilities that have each row/column/whatever be designed around one particular playstyle, but also not be incompatible to use with other "sets". You could continue to add more rows/columns and implement a system to use them partially randomly, with each row/column being guranteed to have the same general role, but no combinations of sets are assured, then only add a new Hero when you have an idea that's completely off the wall to other Heroes, resulting in Heroes being quite decidedly archetypal. This means that randomness exists, and has a major impact, but players can learn a coherent meta and make choices at the start, followed by immediate and coherent planning.

The point of sets is two fold. The first is to avert total combinatorial hell, as having every ability randomize defeats the point of having Heroes draw from a Hero-specific pool. The second is because this actually streamlines the code quite a bit, because you don't need to have any shenanigans to get the abilities in the right command cart spot, letting you reuse the same hotkey and position for abilities in the same spot. And because the ability learning has a separate hotkey to the actual use, you can keep positional hotkeys and switch to the one that's used once you learn it.

Sorry :cneut: , with random heroes I tried to mean "rare abilities" heroes. Also, the heroes aren't similar.:cgrin::cgrin:

Pillage sounds promising, I'll use Pillage instead of Gold Per Second in normal mode.:cwink:

I played Yesterday the Demo with friends. They said the map could be promising. If I stop making more Imbalanced Heroes.

Hotkey thing : I edited the hotkeys, i'm using QWER.:cexc:
Anyways, thanks for the suggestion. :infl_thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.