• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Offense] Suggestions and ideas for a Castle Siege Map?

Level 11
Hello :)

For a long time now I've been wanting to put the various Armies I've been working on into a Castle Siege Map - specifically a 2-Player one. However, I've been having problems terrain-wise and concept-wise (mostly terrain-wise).

The core idea is that you and an ally control an army each (could be anything from Humans and Dwarves to Night Elves and the Burning Legion) along with at least one Hero. You use these armies to defend against the enemy attacks and launch Counter-attacks against the enemy castle (the enemy would be AI akin to the final FT Human Mission.

Castle Siege maps (and games in general) seem pretty rare (barring the one mentioned above) so I'm not sure where to draw inspiration from.

One of my problems is... Who should the enemy be? Preferably I want most of the Warcraft Universe Races included as Armies. Should I just use Creeps?

My main problem is Terrain. What kind of layout should I go for? What's an interesting Terrain for a Castle Siege? Should the whole map be dominated by the Castle with only a small sliver of land for the Player's to start on? How big should the map be? Medium? Large...?

Anything helps. Answers, opinions, ideas, help... Anything is accepted.

Level 13
Hello :)

For a long time now I've been wanting to put the various Armies I've been working on into a Castle Siege Map - specifically a 2-Player one. However, I've been having problems terrain-wise and concept-wise (mostly terrain-wise).

The core idea is that you and an ally control an army each (could be anything from Humans and Dwarves to Night Elves and the Burning Legion) along with at least one Hero. You use these armies to defend against the enemy attacks and launch Counter-attacks against the enemy castle (the enemy would be AI akin to the final FT Human Mission.

Castle Siege maps (and games in general) seem pretty rare (barring the one mentioned above) so I'm not sure where to draw inspiration from.
Castle siege huh? Hm, have you played Castle Fight? It's a very popular map.

There's also this map that seems similar to your proposed map gameplay loop.
You and other human or ai players on your team battle another team in a large map.
At the start, you only control a single unit which is your hero class you have chosen, mostly following the main ai army.
There are neutral castles throughout the map which gives periodic income which your team captures. Item shops are available too where you can buy and sell items.
As your hero accumulate kills and exp, you will be promoted and can command your own army.
To win the game, you must destroy the opposing team main castle.

One of my problems is... Who should the enemy be? Preferably I want most of the Warcraft Universe Races included as Armies. Should I just use Creeps?
How about randomizing the big bad? For gameplay replayability so that it is always different each game.

My main problem is Terrain. What kind of layout should I go for? What's an interesting Terrain for a Castle Siege? Should the whole map be dominated by the Castle with only a small sliver of land for the Player's to start on? How big should the map be? Medium? Large...?

Anything helps. Answers, opinions, ideas, help... Anything is accepted.
Terrain is not my forte so I have little to share regarding that. Try looking at this map terrain, it should give you some ideas.

Personally, I prefer medium and large maps.

Level 11
Castle siege huh? Hm, have you played Castle Fight? It's a very popular map.

There's also this map that seems similar to your proposed map gameplay loop.
You and other human or ai players on your team battle another team in a large map.
At the start, you only control a single unit which is your hero class you have chosen, mostly following the main ai army.
There are neutral castles throughout the map which gives periodic income which your team captures. Item shops are available too where you can buy and sell items.
As your hero accumulate kills and exp, you will be promoted and can command your own army.
To win the game, you must destroy the opposing team main castle.

How about randomizing the big bad? For gameplay replayability so that it is always different each game.

Terrain is not my forte so I have little to share regarding that. Try looking at this map terrain, it should give you some ideas.

Personally, I prefer medium and large maps.
Hmm, I've never heard of Promotion, but it looks like it'll give me some ideas.

I went searching and I think I may have found some Terrain inspiration as well as a good enemy and even a bit of lore for the map.

I appreciate the opinion on Map Size. Imo that's one thing I never feel I get right.

Hopefully I can get something going with what I've got so far.

Appreciate the reply :)

Level 28
One thing you could look into are events/sidequests that make it easier for the attackers, such as:

• Intercepting supply caravans/zeppelins to gain supplies and slow the enemy's build rate.
  • Defend from armies that spawn on the borders of the map to attack the players/try to join the castle's forces.
  • Sorties from the castle that try to raid the player.
  • Killing messengers from the castle to prevent reinforcements from spawning and attacking the base.
  • Sappers to destroy important fortifications/structures (towers, gates, buildings), set up extra defenses, dig tunnels (waygates) etc..
  • Set up siege engines.
  • Bandits that take advantage of the siege to attack allied villages and must be taken out.
  • Diseases that can severely weaken armies, be it the players' or the castle's.
  • Spies that can neutralize a key structure (gate, tower etc.) if not discovered.
  • Limits the player has to work to increase, e.g. the players have a limited amount of some finite resource that keeps going down (food/weapons/equipment/political favor) that can be increased by attacking or carrying out quests.