• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Successful and productive map making.

Level 5
Shitty music but nice help.. But you should really start listening to power/progressive metal :p

Level 6
Shitty music but nice help.. But you should really start listening to power/progressive metal :p

Give me a break. I'm so tired of you acting like kids.... Everyone has it's own music taste! If you don't like it it doesn't mean it's bad...

I would rather call metal shitty music, so please go change your diapers, because it seems they're full of your music. Thank you. And before making a statement, please grow up and then, ground your arguments !

P.S.
Metal isn't shitty music really, it's just a matter of taste.

Level 6
-In my maps, I mostly use music with no singer. You should try Super Smash Bros Brawl (SSBB) musics :p.
-Or if you know like Newton music, like Streamline, it's good when there's a lot action in your map.
-If you use like Luigi Mansion music from SSBB, hmm... it's for a map that ''Should be scary'' (not scary at all).

You can also take a musics with a singer like Linkin Park but you speed it up like the game Run Kitty Run.

Well good tut or if you prefer nice work?
+rep

Level 1
That's the point. Most of my friends listen to techno , in which I don't see anything good , but they do. It's in my opinion. I don't say that you should change your opinion about music. And by saying techno I mean the music created with computer , synthesizer etc. , not the real instruments.

but computers are instruments.

Level 12
Kool stuff here. I agree about the music part, even though i personally prefer techno/jazz/some calm rock/whatever, as long as it has a very few to none at all lyrics.
Lyrics can distract you and make you sing, while you're less likely to sing musical non-vocal sounds that you can't really make with your voice.
Most techno songs are lyricless and the beat keeps your rythm in mapmaking at a minimum level. I mean, if you happened to be getting sleepy/lazy, or losing focus.

+1 about muse :)

Level 6
Well, it depends on your taste. I have no problem with working while listening to a song with lyrics... I also listen to jazz, and recently started listening to John Lee Hooker (blues) and James Brown (Soul\Funk), The Rolling Stones (if you don't know them... Well..) and more artists...

CYD

CYD

Level 4
Good thread idea, I like the idea of talking about creativity and inspiration instead of technical manipulations and so on . BUT, but ...

... I think your whole thing of "techno music = not good", "computer = evil" et caetera is quite disappointing and wrong.

I mean, it's not credible to tell people to be creative, and right after to restrain their field of exploration, especially toward techno which is a huge genre of music that covers a very broad field of ambiences, moods, situations and musical caracteristics.
What is the relation between, for example, hardtek or trance and minimalistic soundscaping works like Aphex Twin or Ulver ? You got it - their done (partially or totaly) with the help of computer and/or electronic devices, hence their (sometimes discutable) qualification of "techno music".

To sum up : yes, listening to "techno" or other electronic-sourced musics CAN be very helpful in creations. The only thing is to find a music that inspires you, makes you dream a bit and gives you new mapping ideas.
And no, rock music doesn't have the monopole and "fiery" moods and epic sensations.

I would add that, still in a perspective of encouraging creativity, listing only 5-6 ultra-known bands that have already been used in dozens of thousands of ads, films and others medias denotes either a great lack of musical and artistic mind-opening, or a pedagogic error.

Once again, I give kudos to the author for the other paragraphs and ideas, but for the musical theory, it's very disappointing. It looks like a good old teenage-blog-like "m3t4l rOXXX lawl Tekno suxxX" and other highly evolved aesthetics debates - hum.

With all my respects,
CYD

Level 6
Good thread idea, I like the idea of talking about creativity and inspiration instead of technical manipulations and so on . BUT, but ...

... I think your whole thing of "techno music = not good", "computer = evil" et caetera is quite disappointing and wrong.

I mean, it's not credible to tell people to be creative, and right after to restrain their field of exploration, especially toward techno which is a huge genre of music that covers a very broad field of ambiences, moods, situations and musical caracteristics.
What is the relation between, for example, hardtek or trance and minimalistic soundscaping works like Aphex Twin or Ulver ? You got it - their done (partially or totaly) with the help of computer and/or electronic devices, hence their (sometimes discutable) qualification of "techno music".

To sum up : yes, listening to "techno" or other electronic-sourced musics CAN be very helpful in creations. The only thing is to find a music that inspires you, makes you dream a bit and gives you new mapping ideas.
And no, rock music doesn't have the monopole and "fiery" moods and epic sensations.

I would add that, still in a perspective of encouraging creativity, listing only 5-6 ultra-known bands that have already been used in dozens of thousands of ads, films and others medias denotes either a great lack of musical and artistic mind-opening, or a pedagogic error.

Once again, I give kudos to the author for the other paragraphs and ideas, but for the musical theory, it's very disappointing. It looks like a good old teenage-blog-like "m3t4l rOXXX lawl Tekno suxxX" and other highly evolved aesthetics debates - hum.

With all my respects,
CYD

Well, sorry that it made me look like metal roxxx tekno suxxx tenager :D. I actually don't listen to metal at all, I only listen to hard rock (which is altough similiar in some ways, very diffrent from metal, and I don't listen to metalica either, just wanted to put something heavier for reasons unknown, i mean, it's year or so since i wrote this :) ), and other styles (funk,jazz,blues, etc.). I just expressed my opinion on techno/synthpop... Maybe it's incorrect, but I dislike live sound being replaced with loops and synthesizer sounds. Maybe I am wrong, but it's just the way I see things, and I see that synth will never beat live sound.

And I used the 6 mega bands that everybody know as an example, because, IMO, it's an easier introduction. I also listen to many other different styles/artists.

Level 13
good tutorial, but why is it under terraining?
i dont rly like big maps, it can be you say dont be afraid, but you should only say that to ppl that already know what it is they going to make, almost exactly.

btw max 2 hour pauses?! :O

Level 5
I find this quite an interesting guide, actually. Because I do the exact same thing. When I don't feel like terraining anymore, I go on to other parts of the map. Like skins. I'll search for skins and models, and sometimes try to skin on my own. It's hard, but enjoyable. Plus, for people who like graphics, you may go and search the web for inspiration, listen to music, or even take a walk in your neighbourhood. I usually just search the web. Since I'm doing an island-themed map now, I'll search for nagas and see what I can come up with, like a loading screen, skinning inspirations, and stuff.

Level 31
Every team has to have Mappers (or a mapper, if your map is small), which are the main ones. Mappers can be splited into three groups :

Terrainers;
Triggerers;
Jassers.

Triggering and jassers are 1 field. =.=

You only need jasser if you are too noob to use jass. :p

Map may be big, so you might want to tell the terrainer's how you imaginate the map , split the map in four or more/less , so that every Terrainer would have work (having more than one terrainer may be a bit complicated, if you're making a multiplayer map (not campaign, as you can tell them to do different maps).

Add 1 more tips at here.

Visual - Add some destructible/doodad into the map, river or mountain at certain position of the map that you wish to have in order to give a clear visualize to the terrainer.

So, I guess I finished on this one. Can't think of more, that I personally use to make my map-making not boring. So, uh, I know it won't get to the real tuts, still, feedback will be accepted, positive or negative.

Actually there is plenty of it. If you view my tutorial of the path of proper map making or how to polish a map by hvo-busterkomo, you would be suprise at the few steps you have possibly neglect about it. :p

Level 6
Triggering and jassers are 1 field. =.=

You only need jasser if you are too noob to use jass. :p

Add 1 more tips at here.

Visual - Add some destructible/doodad into the map, river or mountain at certain position of the map that you wish to have in order to give a clear visualize to the terrainer.

Actually there is plenty of it. If you view my tutorial of the path of proper map making or how to polish a map by hvo-busterkomo, you would be suprise at the few steps you have possibly neglect about it. :p

It's solely a work by me, all the thoughts are mine, not his. I'm goin' to update this soon, but i won't be looking for other influences than my own expirience.