• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Strange story for school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
We were given a task at school yesterday. We got a paper with a 10 different beginings for stories. I have recently evolved a feeling for serious stories with twisted characters/contents. I got so pleased with the result that I thought it would be fun to show you all. My part of it all starts after the "knock on the door" part.

A woman is sitting alone in front of the fire, drinking cocoa. The clock has just struck midnight. The house is empty. Suddenly, there is an unexpected knock on the door. She puts down the cocoa in front of the fire and starts to walk towards the door. She looks through the peak hole and sees nothing.
“Kids…” she sighs and opens the door.
There stands a little man, not more than three feet tall, a pizza boy. He says with a small voice:
“Here’s the pizza you ordered. I know I’m late so you won’t have to pay.”
“This must be a mistake,” she said. “I didn’t order a pizza”
“Damn it woman would you just take it?” He yelled with a whimpy voice. “I had to get out of bed just to bring it out here so take it and do whatever you want with it!”
Slightly stunned by the sound of the little man, she takes the pizza and watches as the guy slowly plods out towards the street. She closes the door and stands silently for a moment. Then she opens the pizza box. The pizza is cold, as if it was baked the day before. She takes it out of the box and puts it in the microwave. As the pizza is heated she strolls around, slowly sinking into her deep thoughts. Then she hears a sudden noise. A strange sound that could only be described as a thousand human beeings, scraping their nails against a black board and screaming “Aaarrrgh” at the same time. She turns around, only to see the microwave opening on its own. It emitts the light of a hundred lightbulbs and as she watches the glorious sight, she begins to see a shape moving. And then, infront of her, hovers the pizza. It has been given eyes and a mouth. The mouth slowly opens and says:
“Ieeeehhhh”
She just stands there, paralyzed by the supernatural phenomenon, as the pizza starts to speak with a chanting voice:
I’ve been asleep for a thousand years, waiting for the call.
And as I woken up have been, the world’s about to fall.
I beg you for your help, it is the only way.
You must aid me in this sacred war, Elisabeth Durray.

The silence is now overwhelming. She can’t seem to move, not even blink. The pizza looks deep into her eyes and she can see how it begs for her help. After a long silent moment she can finaly speak:
“I’m not Elisabeth Durray… you must have come to the wrong place.”
The pizza has a puzzled look on its face as it replies:
“Did you not awake me from my eternal slumber?”
“Yes,” the woman said, “but I’m not Elisabeth Durray”
“Are you sure…?”
She nods.
“What’s your name?”
The woman hesitates.
“… Steve…”
“STEVE!?” the pizza shouts, chocking back a laugh. “You must have been teased during your years at school!”
“As a matter of fact I were, and right now I’m beeing teased by a pizza.”
“Oh right… well I’ll leave you to… whatever you where doing…”
The pizza moves back into the microwave and closes the door. With the sound of a thousand human beeings, saying “Shiiappaha” at the same time, the intense light dissapears and the pizza is gone

Five blocks away, the pizza reappears in another microwave. As it moves out it sees a woman, leaning on the dorsal of an armchair. She’s asleep. The pizza hovers over to her location and just as he is about to speak she says:
“Go back to sleep Diana.”
The pizza is amazed. How could she know his name? As he studies her, he sees her necklace. A pearl necklace with a pendant that has the shape of the letter ‘E’. He is convinced that she is the one he’s looking for. Her super-human knowledge was a sign. He can see no other reason than to do what she says. He hovers down into the armchair and makes himself comfortable. As his pepperoni mind endulges in deep fantasies he catches himself thinking:
“I must be the happiest pizza in the world…”

Early next morning, Elisabeth Durray awakes and rises from the floor wich she seems to have fallen to. Her head is aching. She pulls out a glass from the cabinet, fills it with water and takes an aspirin. She walks toward the armchair. Barely awake, she sits down. The last words heard by the enchanted pizza are:
“Who the hell put this pizza here!?”

Level 5
Just for the record, double spacing generally tends to make things approximately 4294967296 times easier on the eyes.

I'm not really sure what there is to say about this that hasn't already been said. There are some flaws in the fundamentals (spelling, grammar, etc.), and some things are redundant that shouldn't even be said at all, like with the opening:

Suddenly, there is an unexpected knock on the door.

If that's what the prompt said, you need to throw away the paper.

I can't really say too much about the, err, comedic aspect of this. It doesn't really seem funny to me--it just seems silly, although I generally don't read comedies or enjoy them that much. But to each his own, I guess; from the reaction of the others, it looks like you succeeded(ish).

Level 5
Yeah that quote was on the paper.

EDIT:
I got it back and the teacher's review was: "A fantastic story written in fantastic english. Brilliantly fluid."

Just don't let your teacher's comments go to your head (that's a fluff comment, by the way; not a review). There are several obvious mistakes in this piece. If you want dependable editorial feedback, you need to send a story to someone you can have a one-to-one discussion with about improvements for publication, not corrections for a grade.

Level 5
Did I ever say that she didn't make any corrections?

I never suggested that she didn't. (In fact, I inferred that she did--"corrections for a grade.") But I know that the only reason you would post a comment like that is for bragging rights or feel-good purposes.

Just know that once you get past the realm of having spelling and grammar perfect (that means learning your grammatical moods [such as subjunctive, which I see missed all the time on the Internet], learning to differentiate between restrictive and nonrestrictive clauses, learning about the Big Bad Redundancies that plague every beginning writer, etc.), you still have a world of things to work on--a world of things that are impossible to master.

So to have something called fantastic while it still lacks in those fundamental categories is a bit jarring to me.

She pointed out several flaws but she mainly looks at the way it's written.

One of the things you want to do when writing a story is make the reader forget that he's reading a story; for that reason, rules of grammar and spelling are punctuation are important, because anything that causes a reader to pause and think "waitthat'snotright" brings him right back into reality.

If something has several noticeable mistakes in it, it's not well written. End of story. All it takes is a quick proofread to get rid of them.

Level 2
For fuck sake have you ever heard of such a thing called a misstake? NObody is perfect. I never fuckin said that I know everything cause if I did I WOULDN'T BE WRITING IT FOR SCHOOL!!!
Please just stop bothering me with your obsession for perfection.

Precisely why Alkonis said what he did. Ego trip more, please.

Level 1

Is it really an obsession? In a way, sure, but he's obsessing to improve your writing. Everything he's said is how the English language works.

Don't rage@improvement.

Level 5
have you ever heard of such a thing called a misstake?

No, I can't say that I have.

On mistakes: there's really no excuse to have them in excess. Read something aloud before you post it and it'll reduce the number of mistakes by 90%. The standard rule of writing workshops is to read every story twice. I've read this three times. Have you read it at least three times? You should've probably read it at least six times, since you're the author.

Anyway, let me move on--or rather, backwards:

First, you post the story, and respond positively when everyone gives their fluff opinions. When I give mine, you ignore it and cite the teacher, giving me the whole "idcwhatyouthink teachersaysthis" vibe.

Every time I post something, you assume (as the old saying goes, making an ass of you and me) something. If you would take the time to read the comments that I took the time out of my busy life to write, I would be more inclined to stop bothering you. But this kind of response to feedback is what really sets me off.

Quoting me:

If you want dependable editorial feedback, you need to send a story to someone you can have a one-to-one discussion with about improvements for publication, not corrections for a grade.

And your reply:

Did I ever say that she didn't make any corrections?

No, you didn't. Neither did I; I never insinuated it.

Quoting you:

your obsession for perfection.

And to quote myself:

If something has several noticeable mistakes in it, it's not well written.

That does not imply perfection. My favorite author has--and has admitted to having--a typo in every single one of his published works. In fact, if you took the time to read my post, you'd see that there's even a mistake in it:

rules of grammar and spelling are punctuation are important

But you probably didn't.

Quoting you again:

I never fuckin said that I know everything cause if I did I WOULDN'T BE WRITING IT FOR SCHOOL!!!

I never said that you knew everything. In fact, I even implied that you didn't when I said "that means learning [grammar rules]." But I've given you a list of things that most people have never even heard of. If I were you--and I am a serious writer--then I would look them up immediately. I gave you the tools to build upon your knowledge. Why cast them aside?

On a side note: I know more about the English language than most English teachers and more about physics than most physics teachers, but I still have to take the classes. Welcome to the real world--it sucks. And for the record, the whole "it's for school thing" is irrelevant, because I'm just giving my honest opinion on it, and if you didn't want it, you could've said so. It was your decision to post it here, after all. I wouldn't send something to a magazine if I didn't want people to read it.

Now, let's look at the mistakes in the first few lines of your story, none of them major enough to take more than a glance to see and correct. Red text followed by green is a correction, simple red text is an omission, and bracketed red text is a comment. I've left alone the lines from the prompt, even though there are some atrocities in there that I've love to fix. Here:

A woman is sitting alone in front of the fire, drinking cocoa. The clock has just struck midnight. The house is empty. Suddenly, there is an unexpected knock on the door. She puts down the cocoa in front of the fire and starts to walk (walks) towards the door. She looks through the peak hole (peephole) and sees nothing.

“Kids…” she (She) sighs and opens the door.

There stands a little man, not (no) more than three feet tall, (;) a pizza boy. He says with a small voice: (,) [no paragraph break] “Here’s the pizza you ordered. I know I’m late so you won’t have to pay.”

“This must be a mistake,” she said. “I didn’t order a pizza”

Damn it (Dammit) woman would you just take it?” He (he) yelled with a whimpy (wimpy) voice. “I had to get out of bed just to bring it out here so take it and do whatever you want with it!”

Slightly stunned by the sound of the little man, she takes the pizza and watches as the guy slowly plods out towards the street. She closes the door and stands silently for a moment. Then she opens the pizza box. The pizza is cold, as if it was (were) baked the day before. She takes it out of the box and puts it in the microwave. As the pizza is heated (heats) she strolls around, slowly sinking into her deep thoughts. Then she hears a sudden noise. A strange sound that could only be described as a thousand human beeings (beings), [no comma] scraping their nails against a black board (blackboard) and screaming “Aaarrrgh” at the same time. She turns around, only to see the microwave opening on its own. It emitts (emits) the light of a hundred lightbulbs (light bulbs) [should be a comma here] and as she watches the glorious sight, she begins to see (sees) a shape moving. And then, infront (in front) of her, [avoid doubling pre-independent clause commas] hovers the pizza [awkward inversion]. It has been given eyes and a mouth. [by whom? avoid the passive voice whenever possible]

Let's see: there's a missed subjunctive, a comma splice, several typos that would be extremely obvious, lack of any characterization, unrealistic behavior, redundancies, usage errors--just about everything that I mentioned in the previous paragraph, plus some generic silly stuff you did such as use linking verbs with participles (progressive tense) or use passive voice where a simple active verb would be much more effective. I also fixed the spacing and the weird paragraph breaks.

None of these corrections would convince Penguin to hire me as an editor. In fact, seeing these corrections would probably turn most of the serious authors out there against me because of how little I've done.

These are the brainless things--the ones that nobody even looks at in the professional editing world. They're given. They almost never need correction. I could be a stickler and say that the characters are flat, that concept is cliché, that there is no verisimilitude or resonance, that the sentences have no direction or pattern, that the diction is weak... and then there's all the spackle we can add that turn a mediocre work of fiction into a good work of fiction...

But chances are, if all the previous replies indicate a pattern, you won't read this and I'm wasting my time. You never wanted opinions; you wanted a nice pat on the back, and if you want that just send it to your average English teacher or maybe your mom (depending on what you're writing).

So next time, tell readers in advance if you don't want concrit so that we don't waste our time and effort. The end result is that both you and I now look like assholes, and it could've so easily been avoided.

Level 2
Claims with nothing support them are pro. Glad to see you think your uneducated opinion is important.

In other words: Cool story, bro.

Level 28
Oh for goodness sake didn't i say "stop bothering me"? Can't you just say that I suck and that I'm the worst writer of all time? Would spare you the time it took to write all those lines about how I make mistakes. But no you just have to whine and make so that I know how bad I am.
I just realized, and this is true... People like you are the reason to why I barely meet my dad nowdays. I hope you excuse me for reacting this way but I have quite a few bad memories of stuff like this.
I know I'm awfull so you can sleep peacefully now and STOP posting cause you made your point clear. Thank you.

Level 2
Oh for goodness sake didn't i say "stop bothering me"? Can't you just say that I suck and that I'm the worst writer of all time? Would spare you the time it took to write all those lines about how I make mistakes. But no you just have to whine and make so that I know how bad I am.
I just realized, and this is true... People like you are the reason to why I barely meet my dad nowdays. I hope you excuse me for reacting this way but I have quite a few bad memories of stuff like this.
I know I'm awfull so you can sleep peacefully now and STOP posting cause you made your point clear. Thank you.

You continue to deflect from the point of Alkonis' posts. If you did not want someone to criticize your work in this thread, then you should not have made the thread to begin with. But you created the thread anyway. Since you react negatively to any kind of comment that isn't a compliment, you obviously posted this just for an ego boost.

I should also mention you're the one who started this little "fight". Alkonis gave you some advice, and you responded with this:

Did I ever say that she didn't make any corrections? She pointed out several flaws but she mainly looks at the way it's written. Little spelling fails and minor gramatical errors isn't something to nagg too much about. She underlines them so that I can learn the correct way.

You completely misinterpreted what the poster was trying to tell you. Alkonis pointed that in his next post and mentioned that you seem to have an aversion to criticism. Your next post was far worse:

For fuck sake have you ever heard of such a thing called a misstake? NObody is perfect. I never fuckin said that I know everything cause if I did I WOULDN'T BE WRITING IT FOR SCHOOL!!!

You exploded. A post like this could be reported as offensive. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't been. You fail to realize that it was you who started this argument. Instead of being polite about someone's post or ignoring it, you continue to respond with negative and insulting posts.

The reactions you've displayed tell us you've misconstrued everything Alkonis has said. How you actually wrote something as an assignment for your teacher is beyond me; it seems you've severely failed basic reading comprehension.

And as repetitive as this sound, you need to learn that you shouldn't start a thread on the forum without first acknowledging people are inclined to criticize and/or disagree with what you say. If you cannot grasp this simple concept, then you should refrain from posting on forums.

Level 1
All the people here have been trying to aid you in your writing. Constructive criticism. You've taken it the totally wrong way and started this huge, pointless argument that started with Alkonis giving writing advice.

you shouldn't start a thread on the forum without first acknowledging people are inclined to criticize and/or disagree with what you say.

Level 28
You continue to deflect from the point of Alkonis' posts. If you did not want someone to criticize your work in this thread, then you should not have made the thread to begin with. But you created the thread anyway. Since you react negatively to any kind of comment that isn't a compliment, you obviously posted this just for an ego boost.

I don't react negatively to "negative" critisism. On the contrary that's what makes me evolve and it's the reason to why I've learned to make models. But when someone comes and tells me that it's extremely bad I get a little less happy. And when I admitt that it's far from perfect and try to explain myself I just get even more comments about how bad it is and relatively unfixable. And after that It doesn't matter what I write, I just see a lot of text pointing out my flaws.

That is exactly what my step-mum did in about 10 text messages each day only that it wasn't about writing. It was more about that I was stupid, childish, immature, I couldn't make any dessisions on my own and much more. This went on for about 6 months and I seriously felt like the worst person in the world.

I posted the story cause I thought it was funnny and that others might think so to.

I'm thinking about having this thread closed or removed but then I guess I would just be avoiding criticism. I do understand what I have done wrong (including the criticism stuff) and I might just learn from all this someday. But right now I would rather like it to stop (without avoiding criticism).

Level 2
I don't react negatively to "negative" critisism. On the contrary that's what makes me evolve and it's the reason to why I've learned to make models. But when someone comes and tells me that it's extremely bad I get a little less happy. And when I admitt that it's far from perfect and try to explain myself I just get even more comments about how bad it is and relatively unfixable. And after that It doesn't matter what I write, I just see a lot of text pointing out my flaws.

That is exactly what my step-mum did in about 10 text messages each day only that it wasn't about writing. It was more about that I was stupid, childish, immature, I couldn't make any dessisions on my own and much more. This went on for about 6 months and I seriously felt like the worst person in the world.

I posted the story cause I thought it was funnny and that others might think so to.

I'm thinking about having this thread closed or removed but then I guess I would just be avoiding criticism. I do understand what I have done wrong (including the criticism stuff) and I might just learn from all this someday. But right now I would rather like it to stop (without avoiding criticism).

See, you could have been polite like this with Alkonis' posts and this argument could've been avoided completely. It's when you got upset and threw insults and profanity around that the situation got worse. What I'm noticing here (from a psychological standpoint) is you're demonstrating conditional generalization. This occurs when one event has a negative impact on your life and you react very horribly to it. Then, something similar to that event occurs (but to a lesser severity), and you react just as badly to it. An example of this would be if you ate half a gallon of chocolate ice cream, then threw it all up half an hour later. After going through that experience, the thought of any kind of ice cream creates a nauseous feeling in your stomach.

As long as everything is cleared up and people aren't mad or annoyed and posting, things should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.