• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Strange Graphical Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Blackness.jpg

I have been developing a map and while playtesting it we have been experiencing a strange graphical glitch ingame that makes it unplayable. This has never happened to me ingame, but it did to my friend in our first test game.

What could be causing this? How do i fix it?

The map relies heavily on placing terrain textures and pathability over the black texture, could this be causing it somehow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Looks like either the environment lights are disabled (the model was changed with triggers, import or some other way) or other light sources are taking priority over the environment lights (too many lights).

WC3 is limited to 8 light sources per mesh. This limit comes from the fixed shader pipeline of OpenGL. Although D3D8 fixed shader might have a different light limit, it appears that it still has a limit. The game tries to intelligently select which 8 lights sources to use per mesh. However since the environment lights count as at least 1 light it is possible that other light sources could drown them out.

Judging by the screenshot, those custom models look like they are using lights. By having so many near each other the game probably forgets to select the stupidly bright environment light (it is like 1.4 total brightness), hence why everything appears so dark.

Level 2
Hmm. Is there any way to disable the lights on these other models? Most of those are standard warcraft 3 factories and markets, with the exception of the farms and the building in the top left. Would changing the light settings help this? Can i get it to always select the default brightness light?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is there any way to disable the lights on these other models?
You could remove the light chunks from the model files.

Would changing the light settings help this?
No as the limit is hard coded and defined by the fixed shader pipelines used by WC3. Modern lighting systems such as used by StarCraft II have practically no limits to the number of lights in a scene.

Can i get it to always select the default brightness light?
No idea what algorithm WC3 uses to select which lights are used for a mesh. I would imagine it should always force the environment light however that may not be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.